Leon Rose (born 1961) is an American basketball executive, attorney and sports agent. He serves as president of the New York Knicks of the National Basketball Association (NBA). As a sports agent, Rose represented a number of prominent NBA players, including Allen Iverson and LeBron James.
|New York Knicks|
|Born||1961 (age 61–62)|
Cherry Hill, New Jersey, U.S.
|High school||Cherry Hill East|
(Cherry Hill, New Jersey)
Early life Edit
Rose grew up in Cherry Hill, New Jersey and attended Cherry Hill High School East, where he played basketball and was later inducted into the school's hall of fame. Rose graduated from Dickinson College, where he played on the basketball team, and earned his J.D. degree at Temple University Beasley School of Law. He was inducted into the Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in 2011.
Sports agent career Edit
Rose represented LeBron James from 2005 until 2012, when James left to join Klutch Sports, led by Rich Paul, who worked under Rose at CAA. Rose and fellow CAA agent Henry Thomas, who at the time represented the Heat's Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, worked together to bring the three players together on the Miami Heat in 2010. Rose negotiated a four-year deal for James with Miami. He had previously negotiated a 2006 extension for James with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Executive career Edit
Rose's previous and current clients include:
- Carmelo Anthony, forward, Last NBA team: Los Angeles Lakers
- Renaldo Balkman, forward, Last NBA team: New York Knicks, 2010
- Andrea Bargnani, forward/center, Last NBA team: Brooklyn Nets
- Devin Booker, guard, Phoenix Suns
- Omri Casspi, forward, Memphis Grizzlies
- Mardy Collins, guard, Last NBA team: Los Angeles Clippers, 2010
- Eddy Curry, center, Last NBA team: Dallas Mavericks, 2012
- DeSagana Diop, center, Last NBA team: Charlotte Bobcats, 2013
- Joel Embiid, center, Philadelphia 76ers
- Jonny Flynn, guard, Last NBA team: Portland Trail Blazers, 2010
- Richard Hamilton, guard, Retired
- Allen Iverson, guard, Retired
- LeBron James, forward, Los Angeles Lakers
- Eddie Jones, guard, retired
- Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, forward, Dallas Mavericks
- Aaron McKie, guard, retired
- Victor Oladipo, guard, Miami Heat
- Chris Paul, guard, Golden State Warriors
- P.J. Tucker, guard, Philadelphia 76ers
- J.R. Smith, guard, Los Angeles Lakers, 2020
- Kenny "Special K" Soll, Harlem Globetrotters
- Rodney Stuckey, guard, Retired
- Jonas Valančiūnas, center, New Orleans Pelicans
- Dajuan Wagner, guard, Prokom Trefl Sopot
- Sahil Muliyil, guard, Phoenix Suns
See also Edit
- Atkins, Larry (October 5, 2002). "Leon Rose: This agent is a secret no more". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Archived from the original on February 23, 2009. Retrieved March 3, 2020.
- Jasner, Phil (May 20, 2002). "Iverson hires agent". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved September 12, 2006.
- Windhorst, Brian (September 13, 2012). "LeBron chooses Rich Paul as agent". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- Strauss, Robert. "In Person; A 'Concierge' To N.B.A. Stars", The New York Times, August 18, 2002. Accessed October 28, 2018. "While Mr. Rose was a decent enough player at Cherry Hill East, at 5-foot-10, he knew he would never have the chance to play at the higher levels."
- Leon Rose: Class of 2011, Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame. Accessed August 25, 2011. "Leon Rose grew up in Cherry Hill, played varsity basketball in high school and is a member of the Cherry Hill East Basketball Hall of Fame."
- "LeBron dumps Rose, hires friend Paul as agent". ESPN.com. Retrieved May 11, 2018.
- "Leon Rose Named President of New York Knicks". NBA.com. March 2, 2020. Retrieved March 3, 2020.
- Mahoney, Brian (March 2, 2020). "Knicks hire longtime player agent Leon Rose as team president". NBA.com. Retrieved March 3, 2020.
- Moore, Anthony (March 2, 2020). "Dickinson College Alumnus Leon Rose '83 Named President of New York Knicks". www.dickinson.edu. Retrieved March 3, 2020.
- Spears, Marc (September 26, 2009). "Anthony strives to reach peak in the Rockies". Yahoo Sports. Retrieved September 25, 2009.
- Narducci, Marc (June 26, 2006). "Rose blossoming as stars' go-to guy". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved September 12, 2006.
- Callahan, Kevin (June 20, 2002). "Local agent Rose on the rise". The Courier-Post (Cherry Hill, New Jersey). Retrieved September 12, 2006.