Len Joseph Kasper
January 21, 1971
|Alma mater||Marquette University, '93|
Kasper works alongside color analyst Jim Deshaies on Cubs telecasts. He also joins the team's radio network for the fifth inning of games that are televised nationally (including playoff games), working with regular radio announcers Pat Hughes and Ron Coomer.
Kasper first worked for WTMJ-AM (620) from 1994-2002 in Milwaukee as the host of the station's daily sports show, hosted pregame and halftime shows for the Green Bay Packers, and was a co-host on a hot stove league show on the Brewers' radio network. After realizing he would need experience calling baseball games, he started working with Brett Dolan on the weekends in the late 1990s calling several innings at a time for the Beloit Snappers. In 1999, he was then asked to do fill-in TV work with the Milwaukee Brewers for Matt Vasgersian who started to get work on the national stage. Kasper continued to work alongside Bill Schroeder as a fill-in for Vasgersian on Brewers telecasts through 2001.
In 2002, Kasper was hired as a full-time TV play-by-play announcer to work alongside color commentator Tommy Hutton for the Florida Marlins and worked for Florida through the 2004 season until being hired for the Cubs in 2005.
Kasper often participates in Cubs President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein's "Hot Stove Cool Music" benefit concerts that have raised millions of dollars for the communities of Boston and Chicago. Kasper received the Harry Caray Sportscaster of the Year Award from the Pitch and Hit Club of Chicago in 2011.
Kasper grew up in Michigan. His broadcasting influence was the Detroit Tigers' broadcasters, Ernie Harwell and Paul Carey. He graduated from Shepherd High School. He graduated summa cum laude from Marquette University with a degree in public relations in 1993. He and his wife, Pam, have one son named Leo.
- "Broadcasters". MLB.com. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- Gleeman, Aaron (22 June 2011). "Len Kasper signs five-year extension to stay Cubs' announcer". NBC. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "Ed Sherman interviews WGN's Len Kasper". 2009-04-10. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- Hildebrant, Chuck (2015-07-03). "Working the Game, an Interview with Len Kasper, Chicago Cubs TV". Society for American Baseball Research. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- Kasper, Len (2012-10-16). "Baseball ProGUESTus Bringing Sabermetrics to the Broadcast Booth". Baseball Prospectus. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- Bloom, Barry M. "Theo Epstein's Hot Stove Cool Music Heats Up With Special Guest "Headliner To Be Named Later" at Wrigleyville's Metro July 9". mlb.com/news. MLB.com. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Pitch and Hit Club announces Award winners for Banquet". prepbaseballreport.com. Prep Baseball Report. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Chicago Cubs Broadcasters at Comcastsportsnet.com
- Ask Len and Bob at Comcastsportsnet.com
- Chicago Cubs Broadcasters at Cubs.com
- Len & Bob's baseball blog at WGN Sports.com
- Len & Bob play Summertime Blues.
| Chicago Cubs Television Play-By-Play Announcer