Leknes Airport (Norwegian: Leknes lufthavn) (IATA: LKN, ICAO: ENLK) is a regional airport serving the town of Leknes and the surrounding areas in the Lofoten archipelago in Nordland county, Norway. The airport is located just outside Leknes in Vestvågøy municipality. The European route E10 highway passes along the east side of the airport. In 2014, Leknes Airport had 101,757 passengers. It is operated by Avinor.
|Elevation AMSL||24 m / 81 ft|
The airport is served by Widerøe with Dash 8 aircraft connecting the community to Bodø and other communities in Nordland. The routes are operated on public service obligation with the Norwegian Ministry of Transportation and Communication. Flights to Oslo via Bodø take about 3 hours with connecting routes Widerøe/Scandinavian Airlines.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
Avinor is planning building a new primary airport to serve Lofoten and possibly also Vesterålen. The region wants to be more attractive on the conference market which would create more job opportunities outside the tourist season, and there is a need to adopt airports to modern aircraft types.
Two locations have been put forward, Gimsøya ( ) and Hadselsanden ( ). The former could replace Leknes Airport and Svolvær Airport, the latter could also replace Stokmarknes Airport. As both alternatives imply direct services to Oslo, the leakage to Evenes would be reduced. However weather recordings has shown that Gimsøy, located at the big ocean, is too windy and foggy for an airport.
Therefore, the main option now is to extend the runway and terminal of Leknes airport, considering that Svolvær airport has no room for runway extension.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leknes Airport.|
- "Månedsrapport" (XLS). Avinor. 2015. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Airport information for ENLK" (PDF). Avinor. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 July 2012. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- Liu, Jim (3 February 2017). "Widerøe adds new sectors in S17". Routes online. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Nasjonal transportplan 2014–2023: Framtidsrettet utvikling av lufthavnstrukturen" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Avinor. 15 February 2012. p. 46–48. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 February 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- Gimsøya ikke tilfredsstillende som flyplasslokasjon i Lofoten (Lofotposten 23. November 2016)
- Avinor om flyplass i Lofoten: - Dette er den beste plasseringen for en forlengelse (in Norwegian) Lofotposten 31 August 2017
|This article about an airport in Norway is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Nordland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|