Leicester Galleries was an art gallery located in London from 1902 to 1977 that held exhibitions of modern British and French artists' works. Its name was acquired in 1984 by Peter Nahum, who operates "Peter Nahum at the Leicester Galleries" in Mayfair.
In July 1902, Cecil and Wilfred Phillips opened a gallery in Leicester Square. The following year Ernest Brown joined the organisation, and they became Ernest Brown and Phillips Ltd, operating the Leicester Galleries.[nb 1] The exhibited works of modern British and French painters, including John Lavery, Robert Medley, Mark Gertler and Henry Moore. Works exhibited included drawings, watercolours, paintings, prints and sculptures. Every one of the more than 1,400 exhibitions had a printed catalogue. Emerging artists - such as William Roberts, Christopher Nevinson, David Bomberg, and Jacob Epstein - were recognized in their annual "Artists of Fame and Promise" exhibition. Henri Matisse, Picasso, Camille Pissarro and Suzanne Eisendieck had their first solo exhibitions in England at Leicester Galleries. It was also known for showcasing and developing the careers of illustrators such as Arthur Rackham and Edmund Dulac.
Selection of works shown at the galleries:
- The Ernest Brown and Phillips site states that the galleries were found in 1903. According to the London Galleries Project: "Although many sources date the founding of the Leicester Gallery to 1903, a list of exhibitions beginning in July 1902 was published in The Year’s Art 1903 (see "Selected exhibitions"). The Phillips brothers are identified as the proprietors, but by the following year Ernest Brown has joined the firm and they are identified as "Ernest Brown and Phillips" from then on."
- "Leicester Galleries". Exhibition Culture in London 1878-1908, University of Glasgow. 2006. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "Home". Ernest Brown and Phillips Ltd (traded as Leicester Galleries) site. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Pamela Fletcher and David Israel. "Leicester Gallery". London Gallery Project of 2007, Bowdoin College. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "Leicester Galleries". Artists Biographies. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Hamilton, James: Arthur Rackham, A Biography (Little, Brown 1990) p.71
- White, Colin: Edmund Dulac (Studio Vista, 1976) p.29