Leelavathi (born Leela Kiran in 1937) is a Kannada film actress who predominantly worked in Kannada, Tamil, Telugu. She has acted with actors such as Rajkumar, Vishnuvardhan, M. G. Ramachandran, N. T. Rama Rao, Sivaji Ganeshan, Gemini Ganesan, Shankar Nag, Kamal Hassan, Rajinikanth, Chiranjeevi, V Ravichandran, Sudeep and various popular artists. She has acted in more than 600 films (more than 400 in Kannada alone) throughout her career for more than 50 years. Her performance in Nagarahavu, Avargal are remembered and prominent among the people.
|Occupation||Actress, film producer, writer, philanthropist|
Leelavathi has won various awards throughout her career, including the Rajkumar Award in 1999, State awards and Filmfare Awards.
After moving to Mysore, she got a small role in Chanchala Kumari and then in Shanker Singh's film Naga Kannika. She joined the Mahalinga Bhagavathar team Sri Sahitya Samrajya Drama troupe. She got a chance to act in Subbainaidu's 1958 movie Bhakta Prahlada. In Mangalya Yoga, Dharma Vijaya and Ranadheera Kanteerava , she got paltry roles. It was from Rani Honnamma that Leelavathi became a full fledged heroine and never turned back. In Santha Thukaram, Kantheredu Nodu, Kaivara Mahatme, Gaali Gopura, Kanyarathna, Kulavadhu, Veera Kesari, Mana Mecchida Madadi , she proved her mettle as a competitive heroine. Even when she started accepting the supporting actress, she took care to see that her acting was powerful enough with films like Gejje Pooje and Doctor Krishna for which she received the Karnataka State Award.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- First Film in Kannada: Mangalya Yoga
- First Film in Tamil: Pattinathaar
- First Film in Telugu: Marmayogi
- First Film in Malayalam: Pamasiraja
- First Film in Tulu: Saviradoorthi Savitri
Awards and recognitionsEdit
- Honorary Doctorate: Leelavathi was conferred with the honorary doctorate from the Tumkur University in the year 2008 for her great achievements and contribution to the southern cinema for five long decades.
- Her movies which won Rashtrapati Award:
- Maduve Maadi Nodu
- Santha Thukaram
- Karnataka State Film Awards:
- 1969-70 - Gejje Pooje
- 1971-72 - Sipayi Ramu
- 1989-90 - Doctor Krishna
- Filmfare Awards South
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Kannada for Kannadada Kanda in 2006
She was hospitalised on 15 October 2011, and had sustained heart problem. An operation was carried on, and she recovered from it. Her reports of hospitalization was concealed by her son Vinod Raj, but later it came into light by TV9 News report telecasted on 25 October.
- IndiaGlitz - Leelavathi builds hospital - Kannada Movie News
- Leelavathi - IMDb
- Leelavathi Filmography
- News, Express (10 January 2009). "Leelavathi conferred with doctorate". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Veteran Actress Leelavathi Hospitalized