Lee Hyun (Hangul: 이현, born November 8, 1983) is a South Korean singer. He debuted in 2007 as a member of the co-ed vocal group 8Eight, which disbanded in 2014. He was also a member of the disbanded vocal duo Homme from 2010 to 2018. He is currently signed to Big Hit Music as a solo artist.
|Born||November 8, 1983|
|Revised Romanization||Lee Hyeon|
Lee joined Big Hit Entertainment as a trainee in 2005 and signed with the company in 2007. That same year, he debuted as part of the co-ed group 8Eight, alongside Baek Chan and Joo Hee. The group released three studio albums between 2007–2009 and two extended plays from 2010–2011. On December 21 2014, Big Hit announced that Baek and Joo's contracts had expired and further promotional activities for the group had been suspended. The label stated that the members remained friends and did not rule out the possibility of them reuniting in the future. During its seven years in the industry, 8Eight had become one of the top vocal groups in Korea and dominated the coffee house scene. The group's song "Let’s Not Go Crazy" was released on September 9.
On January 31, 2021, Big Hit announced that 8Eight would make a comeback in February with a new commemorative single, composed by "Hitman" Bang and Wonderkid, for "Without A Heart"'s 10th anniversary. On February 6, Lee uploaded a new photo of 8Eight to his Twitter account, teasing the impending release. The song was released on February 7 and marked the group's first time singing together in six years since unofficially disbanding.
In 2010, Lee became part of the collaboration duo Homme with Changmin of 2AM. They released the single "I Was Able To Eat Well" featuring Lee Chae-young. Changmin later signed an exclusive contract with Big Hit in 2015. It expired at the end of January 2018, and Big Hit announced on February 1 that Changmin had chosen to leave the company and open his own agency instead. Lee remained with the label as a soloist.
2009–present: Solo activitiesEdit
Lee released his first solo single on September 9, 2009. The first song "30분전" ("30 Minutes Ago") was a duet with Lim Jeong-hee, the third and final song composed by Bang Shi Hyuk for the "Goodbye" trilogy after Baek Ji-young's "총 맞은 것처럼" ("Like Being Hit By a Bullet") and 8Eight's "심장이 없어" ("Without a Heart"). The music video was released the same day as the album, and starred actress Sunwoo Sun. Lee gave the premiere performance "30 Minutes Ago" on Music Bank on August 11, 2009. On November 16, 2009, he participated in the original soundtrack of "천하무적 이평강" ("Invincible Lee Pyung Kang") with the song "천하무적 이평강" ("Breath"). Lee participated in the original soundtrack of "대물" ("Daemul") with the song "왜 나를 울려요" ("Why Make Me Cry"). In 2012, he released his first full solo album called The Healing Echo.
On October 8, 2012, Lee enlisted for mandatory military service. He received five weeks of basic training before serving as an active-duty soldier for 21 months. In January 2013, Lee co-starred in a military musical, The Promise. It was co-produced by the Ministry of National Defense and the Korea Musical Theatre Association to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the signing of an armistice. The musical ran from January 9–20 at the National Theater of Korea, and co-starred actors Ji Hyun-woo, Kim Mu-yeol, and Jung Tae-woo, as well as singers Leeteuk of Super Junior and Yoon Hak of Supernova.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|The Healing Echo||
|Title||EP details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|내꺼중에 최고 (You Are the Best of My Life)||
|"—" denotes release did not chart.|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Sales||Album|
|As lead artist|
|"30 Minutes Ago" (30분전)
feat. Lim Jeong-hee
|2009||No data*||No data*||30 Minutes Ago single album|
|"Slander" (악담)||2011||27||내꺼중에 최고 (You Are the Best of My Life)|
|"내꺼중에 최고 (You Are the Best of My Life)"||3||
|"Although You Said So" (다며)
feat. Mighty Mouth
|"Because You Are You" (너니까)||2012||5||
||The Healing Echo|
|"Senseless Me" (촌스러워서)||20||
|"Your Lips" (입술자국)||2017||—||N/A|
|"Will There Be a Next?" (다음이 있을까)||2018||—||N/A|
with Jeong U
|2010||80||No data*||Non-album singles|
with Han Go-eun
|"After Losing You" (널 잃고 보니)
with Kan Mi-youn
|"At the End of the Winter" (겨울 끝에서)
with Jang Hee-young
|"It's Raining" (비가 내려와)
|"Pretty Bae" (예쁜사람)
with Park Bo-ram
|"I Can't Breath" (숨이 막혀)||2009||No data*||No data*||Invincible Lee Pyung Kang OST|
|"You Make Me Cry" (왜 나를 울려요)||2010||66||Big Thing OST|
|"Best Love" (최고의 사랑)||2012||50||Fashion King OST|
|"My Heartache" (가슴이 시린 게)||4||A Gentleman's Dignity OST|
|"Engraved in My Heart" (가슴에 새겨져)||48||The King of Dramas OST|
|"Though It Hurts, It's Okay" (아파도 괜찮아)||2014||91||Birth of a Beauty OST|
|"Close My Eyes" (눈을 감아도)||2016||—||Come Back Mister OST|
|"You Are Love" (그대 사랑)||—||Blow Breeze OST|
|"Because It's You" (그대라서)||—||Dr. Romantic OST|
|"You Are Here"||2019||No data*||No data*||BTS World: Original Soundtrack OST|
|"Somebody"||2019||No data*||No data*||Joseon Survival Period OST|
|"—" denotes release did not chart.|
* The Gaon Digital Chart was launched in 2010. Sales data is not available prior to March 2011.
Lee Hyun has starred on variety show "Let's Go Dream Team! Season 2" by KBS.
Lee Hyun has appeared on singing competition program The King of Mask Singer from ep 179-188 with the stage identity "EAGLE", he stayed the Mask King for 4 weeks and got eliminated by singer musical actress Jang Eun-ah[circular reference] in ep 188 . He had appeared in that show before, from ep 31-32, but unfortunately he got eliminated in the last round by Gummy (singer) .
|2011||Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best Vocal Solo Performance||"You are the Best of My Life"||Nominated|
- "이현 소개" [Lee Hyun Profile]. Mnet (in Korean). Archived from the original on June 20, 2018. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Hong, Se-young (March 29, 2021). 이현 재계약, '빅히트 1호 가수' 존재감 계속 [공식] [Lee Hyun, renewed contract as 'Big Hit's first singer' [Official]]. Sports DongA (in Korean). Archived from the original on March 30, 2021. Retrieved March 30, 2021.
- Kim, Ji Yeon (October 7, 2012). "Lee Hyun to Enter Army on October 8". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Archived from the original on June 20, 2018. Retrieved March 30, 2021 – via Yahoo News Singapore.
- Hwang, Hye-jin (January 31, 2021). 빅히트 측 “에이트 2월 7일 신곡 발표, 방시혁 참여”(공식). Newsen (in Korean). Archived from the original on March 30, 2021. Retrieved March 30, 2021.
- Jeon, Ah-ram (February 6, 2021). 에이트, 6년만 컴백 앞두고 새 사진 공개…신곡 기대감 ↑ [Eight release a new photo before comeback after 6 years...Anticipate a new song ↑]. X Sports News (in Korean). Archived from the original on March 30, 2021. Retrieved March 30, 2021.
- Park, Su-yun (February 1, 2018). [공식입장] 이창민, 빅히트와 전속계약 만료 "1인 기획사 설립" [(Official) Lee Chang-min exclusive contract with Big Hit expired, "Establishing one-man agency"]. X Sports News (in Korean). Archived from the original on February 1, 2018. Retrieved March 30, 2021 – via Naver.
- Park, Soo-yoon (February 1, 2018). 옴므 이창민, 1인 기획사 설립…빅히트와 계약종료 [Homme's Lee Chang-min established one-man agency...ends contract with Big Hit]. Yonhap News (in Korean). Archived from the original on June 20, 2018. Retrieved March 30, 2021.
- Herman, Tamar (June 28, 2019). "BTS Release 'BTS World' Soundtrack Album Including New Track 'Heartbeat': Listen". Billboard. Archived from the original on July 2, 2019. Retrieved March 29, 2021.
- Park, Seo-yeon (March 30, 2021). '빅히트 1호' 이현, 재계약 체결 후 유튜브 개설..방탄소년단 "어마어마할 것 같아" ['Big Hit's first singer' Lee Hyun, opened YouTube after signing a renewal contract.. BTS "I think it will be tremendous"]. Herald POP (in Korean). Archived from the original on March 30, 2021. Retrieved March 29, 2021.
- Sunwoo, Carla (September 26, 2012). "8eight's Lee Hyun to enter the Army on Oct. 8". Korea Joongang Daily. Archived from the original on June 19, 2013. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Star-Studded Army Musical to Open in January". The Chosun Ilbo. December 28, 2012. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (December 12, 2012). "Super Junior's Leeteuk and Ji Hyun Woo Participate in Army Musical". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Archived from the original on June 15, 2013. Retrieved April 4, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Gaon Album Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart.
- "January 2012 Album Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. Retrieved June 18, 2018.
- "Gaon Digital Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart.
As lead artist:
- ""Slander" charting".
- ""You Are The Best of My Life" charting".
- ""Although You Said So" charting".
- ""Because You Are You" charting".
- ""Senseless Me" charting".
- ""Burn" charting".
- ""After Losing You" charting".
- ""At The End of the Winter" charting".
- ""It's Raining" charting".
- ""Pretty Bae" charting".
- Cumulative sales of "You Are The Best Of My Life":
- Cumulative sales of "Although You Said So":
- Sales of "Because You Are You":
- Sales of "Senseless Me":
- "2011Mnet Asian Music Awards part 1" Archived December 9, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. MAMA. Retrieved 20 January 2015.