Le Shok was an American electropunk band from Long Beach, California, United States. The band was made up of members of various other punk bands from the area and existed from 1997 until early 2001, releasing numerous seven-inch records and splits, releasing one full-length album, and touring the United States twice.
|Origin||Long Beach, California, United States|
|Genres||Punk rock, new wave, electropunk|
|Labels||Tiger Suit, Know, Kapow, Slamdance Cosmpolis, Initial, Gold Standard Laboratories|
|Associated acts||Treadwell, The Locust, Action League, Tunigs, Focused, Dirt Clod Fight, Electric Frankenstein, The Stitches, Nazti Skinz, Neon King Kong, The Distraction, Sinister Velvet Lounge, T-Cells, FM Bats, God’s Iron Tooth, Sex Powers, Rogue Squadron, Dirty Girls, Fast Forward, Rats in the Louvre|
|Past members||Andrew Reizuch: guitar|
Joey Karam: drums
Todd Jacobs: vocals
Darryl Williams: keyboards
Rusty Cavender: bass guitar
Shaan Obney: guitar, keyboards
John Fones: keyboards
Le Shok formed in 1997 (originally under the name the Shock) by Asshole Andrew (Treadwell) on guitar, Joey Juvenile (The Locust) on drums, and Hot Rod Todd on vocals. After hearing a rehearsal tape, Darryl Licht (Action League) joined the band on keyboards and Over the Counter Rusty (Treadwell) joined as bassist.
The band released four seven-inch records on various labels, and in 2000, Gold Standard Laboratories released the band's sole album, We Are Electrocution, and the band went on a nationwide tour of the United States.
Shitty Shaan, who had filled in for Darryl Licht at shows he couldn't make, was eventually brought on full-time as a second guitarist. When Darryl left the band, Shaan switched to keyboards. Material recorded while the band was a six-piece found its way onto various vinyl releases.
When Andrew subsequently left the band, Shaan took over guitar duties and John Fones of Tunigs was brought in on keyboards. Following their second U.S. tour, Fones departed and Darryl briefly rejoined the band before Shaan quit, signaling the demise of the band in early 2001.
Following the band's break-up, members of Le Shok played in bands including Nazti Skinz, Neon King Kong, The Distraction, T-Cells, FM Bats, God's Iron Tooth, Sex Powers, Rats in the Louvre, and Dirty Girls.
The band played several reunion shows in 2018.
- Soda Pop Smash, an online compilation of all Le Shok material that was not on their full-length album, and is not an official release
- We Are Electrocution (2000)
Singles and EPsEdit
- "Le Shok's Rare Reunion at Burger Bugaloo". East Bay Express. June 27, 2018. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Le Shok at AllMusic
- Le Shok on MySpace
- Biography material adapted from Le Shok
- Le Shok Discography and Pressing Information
- "Le Shok Shocker", Chris Ziegler, OC Weekly, April 5, 2001.
- "Le Shok LA to NY", review, Chris Ziegler, OCWeekly, September 27, 2001.
- 31 Scariest People in OC, OCWeekly, October 26, 2000 (Le Shok singer Hot Rod Todd is number 29)
- Maximumrocknroll No. 208, September 2000 (cover article)
- reviews of various records in HeartattaCk 19; Maximumrocknroll 183, 197; Punk Planet 27