Le livre noir du Capitalisme (The Black Book of Capitalism) is a 1998 French book published in reaction to The Black Book of Communism (1997). Unlike the earlier work, Le livre noir du capitalisme's primary goal is not to try to attribute a number of victims to the political system in question. Rather, the body of the book comprises a series of independent works from various writers who each voice their critique on various aspects of capitalism. Topics covered range from the African slave trade to the effects of globalization.
An appendix provides an incomplete list of 20th-century death-tolls which editor Gilles Perrault attributes to the capitalist system. The list includes certain death-tolls covering the two World Wars, colonial wars, anticommunist campaigns and repressions, ethnic conflicts, and victims of famines or malnutrition; bringing the incomplete total to 100 million deaths attributed to capitalism in the 20th century.
Contributors to the book include historians, sociologists, economists, trade unionists and writers such as Caroline Andréani, François Arzalier, Roger Bordier, Maurice Buttin, François Chesnais, Maurice Cury, François Delpla, François Derivery, André Devriendt, Pierre Durand, Jean-Pierre Fléchard, Yves Frémion, Yves Grenet, Jacques Jurquet, Jean Laïlle, Maurice Moissonnier, Robert Pac, Philippe Paraire, Paco Peña, André Prenant, Maurice Rajsfus, Jean Suret-Canale, Subhi Toma, Monique and Roland Weyl, Claude Willard and Jean Ziegler. Translations of the book have appeared in Greek, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and Czech.
- "Black Book of Capitalism" (in French). Pour la Republique Sociale. Archived from the original on 4 October 2011.
- "La Maison d'édition" (in French). Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 17 April 2008.
- Marie Germanos (May 2002). "Le livre noir du capitalisme". Socialisme International (in French). 3. Retrieved 17 April 2008.
- "LE LIVRE NOIR DU CAPITALISME". Marianne (in French). 17 November 1997. Retrieved 18 April 2008.[dead link]
- Pierre Gilly (April 1998). "Svenska Clartéförbundet – Recensioner 1998-4". Tidskriften Clarté (in Swedish). Archived from the original on 23 May 2008. Retrieved 18 April 2008.
- Perrault, Gilles, ed. (1999). O livro negro do capitalismo (in Portuguese). Record. ISBN 9788501056566. Retrieved 25 September 2021.
- Perrault, Gilles, ed. (2001) . El libro negro del capitalismo. Gebaratik at (in Spanish). Tafalla, Navarre: Txalaparta. ISBN 9788481362220. Retrieved 25 September 2021.
- "Il libro nero del capitalismo" (in Italian). Retrieved 18 April 2008.
- "Černá kniha kapitalismu" (in Czech). Archived from the original on 18 July 2011.
- (in French) Les Temps des Cerises
- (in French) Account of Capitalism
- (in French) Du Bon Usage des Livres noirs
- (in French) Summary of casualties
- (in French) François Delpla's chapter of book: La Seconde Guerre Mondiale