Lawrence Montaigne (February 26, 1931 – March 17, 2017) was an American actor, writer, dancer, and stuntman. As an actor, he was known for his appearances on many 1960s-era television shows such as Star Trek.
February 26, 1931|
Brooklyn, New York, United States
|Died||March 17, 2017
Henderson, Nevada, United States
Life and careerEdit
Born in New York, but later raised in Rome, Italy, Montaigne spoke several languages - a skill he used to his advantage in securing roles in international productions. He served in the United States Marine Corps and was only one platoon apart in the Parris Island boot camp from his future friend Steve McQueen.
He appeared in the role of Dr. Chauncy Hartlund in the 1965 Perry Mason episode, "The Case of the Carefree Coronary." In 1966, Montaigne portrayed the Romulan Decius in the Star Trek episode "Balance of Terror"; he had nearly been cast as Mr Spock when it was possible that Leonard Nimoy would appear on Mission Impossible. A year later, he portrayed the Vulcan Stonn, the paramour of Spock's intended bride T'Pring, in the episode "Amok Time"—a role that he reprised in 2006 in the unofficial mini-series Star Trek: Of Gods and Men.
Additionally, he guest starred on Batman, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Blue Light, Mission: Impossible, The Time Tunnel, The Invaders, Perry Mason, McCloud, and The Feather and Father Gang.
His motion picture appearances include roles in The Great Escape (1963), Captain Sindbad (1963), Tobruk (1967), The Power (1968), The Psycho Lover (1970), Escape to Witch Mountain (1975), Framed (1975), Young Lady Chatterley (1977), Deadly Blessing (1981) and Dakota (1988). During the 1980s, Montaigne taught film at North Texas State University.
For some years, Montaigne lived in Las Vegas, Nevada, and translated medical texts for a publishing firm. In 2007, Montaigne voiced a guest starring role in the pilot episode of the web series Star Trek: The Continuing Mission.
Montaigne died on March 17, 2017, at the age of 86.
Selected television appearancesEdit
- The Band Wagon (1953) .... Undetermined Role (uncredited)
- Amud Ha'Esh (1959)
- Rapina al quartiere Ovest (1960)
- Mobby Jackson (1960)
- The Mongols (1961) .... Prince Stefan's ally
- The Italian Brigands (1961) .... O Prevete
- Damon and Pythias (1962) .... Flute Player
- Captain Sindbad (1963) .... Jafar
- The Great Escape (1963) .... Haynes, "Diversions"
- The Satan Bug (1965) .... Officer at Radar Tracking Station (uncredited)
- Synanon (1965) .... The Greek
- Tobruk (1967) .... Italian Officer
- The Power (1968) .... Briggs
- The Psycho Lover (1970) .... Kenneth Alden
- Bearcats! (1971) .... Koster, "Tiger, Tiger"
- Escape to Witch Mountain (1975) .... Ubermann
- Framed (1975) .... Deputy Allison
- Young Lady Chatterley (1977) .... Carl – Chauffeur
- Everything Happens to Me (1980) .... Military Sergeant
- Deadly Blessing (1981) .... Matthew Gluntz
- Dakota (1988) .... Mr. Diamond