Law & Order True Crime
Law & Order True Crime is an American true crime anthology series that premiered on September 26, 2017 on NBC. The series was ordered by NBC on July 15, 2016, and is part of the Law & Order franchise. Created by René Balcer, the eight-episode first season, titled Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders, is a dramatization of the trial of Lyle and Erik Menendez, who were convicted in 1996 for the murder of their parents, José and Kitty Menendez. The series is currently on hiatus.
|Law & Order True Crime|
First season logo
|Created by||René Balcer|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||8 (list of episodes)|
|Distributor||NBCUniversal Television Distribution|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||September 26 –|
November 14, 2017 (on hiatus)
|Related shows||Law & Order franchise|
Cast and charactersEdit
- Edie Falco as Leslie Abramson, the defense attorney who represented Lyle and Erik Menendez.
- Gus Halper as Erik Menendez, the younger brother accused of killing his parents.
- Miles Gaston Villanueva as Lyle Menendez, the older brother accused of killing his parents.
- Anthony Edwards as Judge Stanley Weisberg who oversaw Lyle and Erik's trial.
- Julianne Nicholson as Jill Lansing, Abramson's partner on the defense team for the first trial.
- Harry Hamlin as Barry Levin, Abramson's co-counsel on the second trial of Erik Menendez.
- Constance Marie as Marta Cano, José's sister.
- Carlos Gómez as José Menendez, Lyle and Erik's father.
- Sam Jaeger as Detective Les Zoeller, the Beverly Hills Police Department detective who investigated the murders of José and Kitty Menendez.
- Josh Charles as Dr. Jerome Oziel, Lyle and Erik's psychiatrist.
- Sterling Beaumon as Glenn Stevens, Lyle's friend from Princeton University.
- Ben Winchell as Donovan Goodreau.
- Molly Hagan as Joan Vandermolen, Kitty's older sister.
- Dominic Flores as Henry Llano, Lyle and Erik's cousin.
- Lolita Davidovich as Kitty Menendez, Lyle and Erik's mother.
- Chris Bauer as Tim Rutten, Leslie's husband and a Los Angeles Times journalist.
- Heather Graham as Judalon Smyth, Oziel's emotionally fragile mistress.
- Elizabeth Reaser as Deputy District Attorney Pam Bozanich, who was assigned to the murders of José and Kitty Menendez.
- Larry Cedar as Milton Andersen, Kitty's older brother.
- Ezra Buzzington as Deputy District Attorney Elliott Alhadeff, first prosecutor in case.
- Raphael Sbarge as Jon Conte.
- Taylor Kalupa as Anna Eriksson, Lyle’s fiancé & eventual wife.
- Jenny Cooper as Megan Lang.
- Irene DeBari as Maria Menendez, Lyle and Erik's grandmother.
Season 1: The Menendez Murders (2017)Edit
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||US viewers|
|1||"Episode 1"||Lesli Linka Glatter||René Balcer||September 26, 2017||6.06|
|Jose and Kitty Menendez are murdered in their home. The police initially investigate the double-homicide with links to Jose Menendez's business that has ties to organized crime, as brothers Lyle and Erik go on a shopping spree leading up to their parents' memorial service. But as the detectives run down leads the evidence points the crime to a different direction, the Menendez brothers. And while watching the events unfolding in the media, criminal defense attorney Leslie Abramson takes an interest in the murders and the brothers.|
|2||"Episode 2"||Lesli Linka Glatter||René Balcer||October 3, 2017||4.82|
|Detectives Zoeller and Linehan from the Beverly Hills Police Department begin interviewing the brothers' friends and acquaintances in the awakening of Jose and Kitty's murder. Meanwhile, Erik makes a shocking confession to his psychologist that could change how the case goes. Defense attorney Abramson learns more about the Menendez family dynamics and history and makes the move to represent the brothers in the upcoming court trial.|
|3||"Episode 3"||Holly Dale||Gina Gionfriddo||October 10, 2017||4.72|
|Whilst Lyle and Erik are in police custody for suspicion of murdering their parents, defense attorney Leslie Abramson works endlessly to understand what could possibly drive two young men to commit such a horrible crime as murdering their parents. Meanwhile, the prosecution tries to get the video and audio tapes from Lyle and Erik's sessions with their psychologist, which eventually reveals a shocking secret the family has been hiding from everyone for a very long time.|
|4||"Episode 4"||Holly Dale||Diana Son||October 17, 2017||4.36|
|Erik and Lyle begin to tell the horrific details of the psychological, verbal and sexual abuse they suffered from the hands of their parents throughout their lives. Meanwhile, Leslie Abramson makes a case for Dr. Oziel's tapes to be thrown out of court. Pam Ferrero faces increased pressure from the DA's office regarding the trial of Erik and Lyle.|
|5||"Episode 5"||Fred Berner||René Balcer||October 24, 2017||4.61|
|An extremely heightened level of public scrutiny emerges in the media and court system when Judge Weisberg allows the proceedings to be publicly broadcast on television regarding Erik and Lyle's upcoming court trial. The questionable ethics and motives of one of the star witness's threaten Judge Weisberg's credibility in the case. Meanwhile, Leslie Ambrason starts struggling with her own personal demons as a result of stress from the case.|
|6||"Episode 6"||Fred Berner||Gina Gionfriddo||October 31, 2017||3.53|
|After a long period of time, Erik and Lyle finally testify for the first time in front of the jury. Leslie makes a surprising move in the trial after Judge Weisberg approves the unsealing of the brothers' confession tapes. The closing arguments are made, and the verdict is left for the jury to decide.|
|7||"Episode 7"||Michael Pressman||Diana Son||November 7, 2017||4.08|
|After hearing the closing arguments from the defense side and the ADA, the juries both struggle to reach a unanimous decision in the troubled case. Garcetti tries to counteract the declining public perception of the criminal justice system. Judge Weisberg's performance and credibility in the trial comes under extremely intense media scrutiny and attention.|
|8||"Episode 8"||Michael Pressman||René Balcer||November 14, 2017||4.16|
|A second trial commences with Barry Levin joining the defence side to represent the two brothers. Intense political collusion reaches an apex in the case. Judge Weisberg denies Lyle and Erik's family members to testify in the trial. Meanwhile, Leslie discovers revealing information about Jose and Kitty's childhoods. At last, a verdict is decided by the jury and all parties in the case return to court for the final time to hear it.|
Filming for the series began on June 26, 2017 for an eight-episode first season. In April 2016, Dick Wolf and NBC announced they were working on the series, a first season being based on the Mendendez brothers murder case. A second season is yet to be confirmed, but Dick Wolf mentioned he has plenty of ideas for the show and a possible storyline if there is a second season. “This is unique for me, after 27 years of Law & Order,” Dick Wolf told TV critics at TCA in an interview. “This is taken from the headlines; we‘ve made some great shows ripped from the headlines, but this is on a different level.” An idea for a second season storyline includes the Oklahoma City bombing of 1995. "Just before the [Television Critics Association summer press tour], I had mentioned to him the Tim McVeigh case, and his eyes lit up," Rene Balcer says of Wolf's reaction. "Because Dick and I were together, we were in the same office when the bomb went off in Oklahoma."
On Rotten Tomatoes, the season has an approval rating of 64% based on 34 reviews, with an average rating of 6.6/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Law & Order: True Crime: The Menendez Murders benefits from a standout performance from Edie Falco that proves captivating enough to compensate for a staid approach to potentially drama-rich material." On Metacritic, the season has a weighted average score of 57 out of 100, based on 29 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". In his series of reviews of each episode, Austin Considine of the New York Times wrote that this mini-series succeeded in bringing something new and compelling to the well-known Menendez case.
|1||"Episode 1"||September 26, 2017||1.6/6||6.06||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|2||"Episode 2"||October 3, 2017||1.1/5||4.82||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|3||"Episode 3"||October 10, 2017||1.1/4||4.72||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|4||"Episode 4"||October 17, 2017||1.0/4||4.36||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|5||"Episode 5"||October 24, 2017||1.0/4||4.61||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|6||"Episode 6"||October 31, 2017||0.7/3||3.53||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|7||"Episode 7"||November 7, 2017||0.9/4||4.08||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|8||"Episode 8"||November 14, 2017||0.9/4||4.16||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2018||Primetime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie||Edie Falco||Nominated|||
|Imagen Awards||Best Actor - Television||Miles Gaston Villanueva||Nominated|||
|Imagen Awards||Best Supporting Actor - Television||Carlos Gomez||Nominated|||
- Stanhope, Kate (June 5, 2017). "Julianne Nicholson Joins 'Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Stanhope, Kate (April 6, 2016). "Menendez Brothers Set as Focus of NBC's Dick Wolf 'Law & Order' Anthology Series". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Stanhope, Kate (July 15, 2014). "'Law & Order: True Crime — The Menendez Murders' Ordered to Series at NBC". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Porter, Rick (May 14, 2018). "'Law & Order True Crime' isn't canceled, but it's also not coming back next season". TV By The Numbers. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth; Birnbaum, Debra (February 3, 2017). "Edie Falco to Play Attorney Leslie Abramson in Dick Wolf's NBC Menendez Brothers Series (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 2, 2017). "'Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders': Anthony Edwards To Play Judge Weisberg". Deadline.com.
- Petski, Denise (September 25, 2017). "'L&O True Crime: The Menendez Murders': Harry Hamlin Set To Recur In NBC Series". Deadline. Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved November 16, 2017.
- Pedersen, Erik (June 7, 2017). "'Law & Order: True Crime – The Menendez Murders': Constance Marie & Carlos Gomez Join Cast". Deadline.
- Petski, Denise (June 8, 2017). "'Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders': Sam Jaeger To Play Det. Zoeller". Deadline.com. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Stanhope, Kate (June 26, 2017). "Josh Charles Joins 'Law and Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders'". Deadline. Retrieved June 29, 2017.
- Petski, Denise (June 15, 2017). "'Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders': Sterling Beaumon, Molly Hagan & Dominic Flores Join Cast". Deadline.com. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Petski, Denise (June 23, 2017). "'L&O True Crime: The Menendez Murders' Casts Lolita Davidovich, Heather Graham, Elizabeth Reaser & Larry Cedar". Deadline.com. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Porter, Rick (September 27, 2017). "'Bull,' 'Voice,' 'This Is Us' adjust up, 'L&O True Crime' and 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 27, 2017.
- Porter, Rick (October 4, 2017). "'Fresh Off the Boat,' 'Voice' adjust up, 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine,' 'L&O True Crime' adjust down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- Porter, Rick (October 11, 2017). "'Voice,' 'Flash,' 'Bull,' 'Lethal Weapon' & 'The Mick' adjust up, 'NCIS: New Orleans' down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Porter, Rick (October 18, 2017). "'NCIS,' 'Voice' and 'This Is Us' adjust up, 'Black-ish' and 'L&O True Crime' down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- Porter, Rick (October 25, 2017). "'This Is Us,' 'Fresh Off the Boat,' 'Kevin' & World Series adjust up, 'L&O True Crime' down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 25, 2017.
- Porter, Rick (November 1, 2017). "'The Middle' and World Series adjust up, 'Law & Order True Crime' down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 1, 2017.
- Porter, Rick (November 8, 2017). "'The Middle' adjusts up, 'The Mayor' adjusts down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- Porter, Rick (November 15, 2017). "'Fresh Off the Boat,' 'The Flash' and 'Kevin' adjust up, 'Bull' and 'L&O True Crime' adjust down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 15, 2017.
- Andreeva, Nellie (April 6, 2016). "NBC & Dick Wolf Developing 'Law & Order: True Crime' Anthology Series; 1st Season To Tackle Menendez Brothers Murders". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- de Moraes, Lisa (August 3, 2017). "Dick Wolf Already Mulling Future 'Law & Order True Crime' Topics, Predicting Bullseye With Menendez Murder Debut". Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- Stanhope, Kate (November 14, 2017). "'Law & Order True Crime' Boss Discusses Possible Season 2 Case". Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- "Law & Order: True Crime: The Menendez Murders (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- "Law & Order: True Crime: The Menendez Murders reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/arts/television/law-order-true-crime-menendez-murders-recap-episode-7.html. Missing or empty
- Hipes, Patrick (July 14, 2018). "Emmy Nominations: 'Game Of Thrones, 'The Americans', 'Atlanta', Defending Champ 'Handmaid's Tale' Among Top Nominees". Deadline. Retrieved July 14, 2018.
- Pedersen, Erik (July 9, 2018). "Imagen Award Nominations: 'The Shape Of Water', 'Coco' Among Best Picture Hopefuls". Deadline. Retrieved July 28, 2018.