Laurens–Marathon Community School District is a rural public school district headquartered in Laurens, Iowa, also serving Marathon. The district occupies sections of Buena Vista, Clay, Palo Alto, and Pocahontas counties.
|Laurens–Marathon Community School District|
|Type||Local school district|
|NCES District ID||1916420|
|Students and staff|
In 2014, the South Central Calhoun Community School District, a district not contiguous with Laurens–Marathon, entered a superintendent-sharing agreement. The shared superintendent was Jeff Kruse.
Kruse was scheduled to leave at the end of the 2016–17 school year. Scott Williamson became the new superintendent in July 2017. That year, the L-M and Pocahontas districts began whole grade-sharing, in which one district sent its children to another district for certain grade levels. L-M had multiple classes it was required to have in order to maintain high school grades, but insufficient numbers of students were enrolled in them. As a result, Laurens–Marathon sent its high school students to Pocahontas high school. Around that time period, Laurens–Marathon elementary school students had, as part of a preliminary indication, increased test scores.
Laurens–Marathon is notable for its severe mismanagement of funds, particularly pertaining to the fine arts. Additionally, Laurens–Marathon middle school students were once given textbooks so old that they had to write in the 27th Amendment to the Constitution.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (July 2018)
The district operates two schools in a single facility in Laurens:
- Laurens–Marathon Elementary School
- Laurens–Marathon Middle School
The current 84-foot (26 m) by 50-foot (15 m) gymnasium opened in September 1998. The previous 76-foot (23 m) by 48-foot (15 m) gymnasium, built in the early 1940s, was called "The Barn".
- "Laurens-Marathon Comm School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved July 15, 2020.
- Home. Laurens–Marathon Community School District. Retrieved on June 20, 2018. "Laurens-Marathon CSD, 300 W Garfield St, Laurens, IA 50554".
- "Laurens-Marathon." Iowa Department of Education. Retrieved on July 20, 2018.
- "Reorganization & Dissolution Actions Since 1965-66." Iowa Department of Education. Retrieved on July 20, 2018.
- "East Sac, South Central will not share superintendent". Carroll Daily Times Herald. 2014-05-14. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- Schafer, Mark (2014-08-26). "Laurens-Marathon to share superintendent with South Central Calhoun". Storm Lake Pilot Tribune. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- Kaspari, Peter (2017-02-19). "Laurens-Marathon: Sharing". The Messenger. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- "South Central Calhoun: Facility improvements". The Messenger. 2017-02-19. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- Kaspari, Peter (2017-07-28). "Williamson is new shared superintendent at L-M". The Messenger. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- "Laurens-Marathon: Whole-grade sharing, The agreement is working". The Messenger. 2018-01-28. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- ""The Barn"." Laurens–Marathon Community School District. November 4, 1999. Retrieved on July 21, 2018.