Lauren Stein McLean is an American politician and entrepreneur who currently serves as Mayor of Boise, Idaho. McLean served as a member of the Boise City Council from 2011 to 2019, and as council president from 2017 to 2019.
|56th Mayor of Boise|
|Assumed office |
January 7, 2020
|Preceded by||Dave Bieter|
|Born||1973/1974 (age 45–46)|
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Education||University of Notre Dame (BA)|
Boise State University (MPA)
Early life and educationEdit
McLean was born in Boston, Massachusetts and raised in Houston, Texas and Cazenovia, New York. McLean received her Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Notre Dame in 1997 and a Master of Public Administration in environmental policy from Boise State University in 2001.
McLean serves on the Board of Governors of the Andrus Center for Public Policy at Boise State University. She is also a member of the Boise City Planning and Zoning Association and Boise Parks Commission.
McLean was a candidate in the 2019 Boise mayoral election, running against incumbent Dave Bieter, former mayor H. Brent Coles, and others. Since neither Bieter nor McLean had surpassed the 50 percent vote threshold required to claim victory, the two competed in a runoff election held on December 3, 2019. McLean won with 65 percent of the vote to Bieter's 35 percent.
McLean is the first woman elected to the office, and the second to serve as Boise mayor after Carolyn Terteling-Payne, who served briefly on an interim basis from 2003 to 2004. McLean was inaugurated on January 7, 2020.
McLean and her husband, Scott McLean, have two children.
- Boise mayor candidate surveys
- "For the Press". McLean for Boise. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- "Boise Alumni". boisestate.edu.
- Harding, Hayley; Statesman, Idaho (2019-08-07). "At Boise fundraiser, Biden talks about Trump, the middle class and his Idaho connections". East Idaho News. Retrieved 2020-02-07.
- "Lauren McLean". Ballotpedia. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- "City of Boise". cityofboise.org.
- "Bieter, McLean to face off in Boise mayoral runoff election". KTVB. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- "See live Boise mayor and Caldwell City Council runoff election results here". KTVB. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- Dougherty, Conor (2019-12-03). "How Far Can Cities Go to Police the Homeless? Boise Tests the Limit". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
- "Madam Mayor: Lauren McLean first woman elected mayor of Boise". BoiseDev. 2019-12-04. Retrieved 2019-12-05.
- "McLean sworn in as Boise mayor". KIVI. 2020-01-08. Retrieved 2020-01-10.
- "About the Mayor". Cityofboise.org.
| Mayor of Boise
|This article about a mayor in Idaho is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|