Laura Mitchell is the current Superintendent for Cincinnati Public Schools, having been voted in by the Cincinnati Board of Education on May 9, 2017.  She is the successor of retiree Mary Ronan, who served as Superintendent for nine years.
|Superintendent of the Cincinnati Public Schools|
|Assumed office |
August 1, 2017
|Appointed by||Cincinnati Board of Education|
|Preceded by||Mary Ronan|
|Alma mater||Bennett College|
(Bachelors in Elementary Education)
University of Cincinnati
(Masters in Education Administration)
Laura Mitchell began her career at Cincinnati Public Schools as a teacher at a now-defunct elementary school, Central Fairmount, which resided in the Cincinnati neighborhood of South Fairmount. She also served as both an assistant principal and a principal within the same school district. At the time of her promotion, Mitchell was serving as the Deputy Superintendent and Chief Academic Officer for the district. Mitchell worked to increase the academic achievement of "under-performing" schools in Cincinnati Public Schools, helping elevate the district to the rating of "Effective". She has been nationally recognized for her efforts, having won the State of Ohio Senate Commendation and House of Representatives Tribute for Nationally Recognized Educator, and the Milken Educator Award in 2002 as the principal of Westwood Elementary. 
Laura Mitchell was one of 58 candidates for the position. She was voted in unanimously on May 9, 2017.
- Walsh, Janet. "Laura Mitchell Chosen as Next CPS Superintendent Board Selects Deputy Superintendent Following Final Interviews" (PDF) (Press release). Cincinnati, Ohio: Cincinnati Board of Education. Retrieved 2017-11-25.
- "CPS announces superintendent pick". Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Superintendent Laura Mitchell". Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Laura Mitchell (OH '02)". Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "New CPS leader: 'I absolutely feel pressure'". Retrieved 24 November 2017.