List of pageants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
(Redirected from Latter-day Saint pageant)
This list of pageants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints delineates those annual outdoor theatrical performance produced by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). It is reminiscent of early Christian Pageants which reenacted the world history in processional performance. Latter-day Saint pageants are held outdoors, they are free to the public, and typically last for a two-week period. In December 2018, the LDS Church announced that four pageants will phased out over the next several years.
Pageants in productionEdit
- Easter Pageant Jesus the Christ, Mesa, Arizona: Temporarily suspended in 2019 and 2020 due to the renovation of the Mesa Arizona Temple, resumes in 2022
- Truth Will Prevail (Chorley, Lancashire, England): Will generally be held every four years, with the next one deferred until 2023
- The Nauvoo and British Pageants will be performed Tuesday - Saturday at 8:45 p.m. July 11 - August 5, 2023. Pre-show activities start at 7:00 p.m. each night.
- Castle Valley Pageant (Castle Dale, Utah)
- Clarkston Pageant (Clarkston, Utah)
- Hill Cumorah Pageant, Palmyra, New York: ended in 2019
- Mormon Miracle Pageant, Manti, Utah
- And it Came to Pass: An informal, indoor pageant near the Oakland California Temple, ceased production in 2007.
This list is incomplete; you can help by adding missing items. (July 2022)
- ^ Walch, Tad (2018-12-05). "Church finalizes pageant decision: 4 to end, 3 to continue". DeseretNews.com. Retrieved 2018-12-09.
- ^ Mesa Easter Pageant
- ^ British Pageant scheduled for this summer postponed to 2023
- ^ Draper, Scottie. "Castle Valley Pageant Discontinued After 40 Years", ETV News, 3 June 2019. Retrieved on 24 March 2020.
- ^ "Hill Cumorah Pageant won't return, LDS Church announces". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved 2021-03-22.
- ^ Stephenson, Kathy. "Manti’s Mormon Miracle Pageant is now history. Here are five remembrances of the show’s 52-year run.", The Salt Lake Tribune, 23 June 2019. Retrieved on 24 March 2020.
- ^ Rott, Dale (2005). Intersections Between Theatre and the Church in the United States: 1930-1990. The Journal of Religion and Theatre.
- ^ Ghaznavi, Shanna (July 1999), "Stars under the Sky", New Era, retrieved 2013-02-19
- ^ Rees, Bridget, "LDS Pageants", LDS Living Magazine, archived from the original on 2008-08-28
- ^ "People of the [Other] Book" by Michael Hicks. Spencer Kimball's Record Collection: Essays on Mormon Music. Signature Books. 2020. 9781560852865.
- Pageants Latter-day Saints official site
- LDS Church Official site