Latina is an American lifestyle, entertainment, beauty and fashion magazine for bilingual Hispanic women published in English by Latina Media Ventures.
June/July 2016 cover featuring Demi Lovato
|Categories||Lifestyle, entertainment, beauty and fashion|
|First issue||June 1996|
|Company||Latina Media Ventures, LLC|
In May 2010, Latina Media Ventures named editorial director Galina Espinoza and publisher Lauren Michaels co-presidents of the company. Latina was named to Adweek's "Hot List" in 2000 and 2001 and named Best Magazine by Advertising Age in 2000.
Latina was founded in 1996 by Christy Haubegger under Latina Publications, LLC. Haubegger, then a 28-year-old Stanford Law School graduate. The first issue featured Jennifer Lopez on the cover. In 2000, the company changed its name to Latina Media Ventures, LLC. Haubegger now works at Creative Artists Agency and remains a member of the board for Latina Media Ventures. The magazine had an audience of approximately 3 million and was named Best Magazine by Advertising Age in 2000.
The magazine's covers consistently featured prominent Latinas like Jennifer Lopez, Selena Gomez, Paulina Rubio, Jessica Alba, Shakira, Eva Longoria, Salma Hayek, Eva Mendes, Christina Aguilera, Naya Rivera, America Ferrera and Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor. The November 2015 issue featured girl group Fifth Harmony, whose three out of five members are Latinas, marking the first time two non-Latinas were featured on the cover of the magazine.
Latina Media Ventures faced accusations in 2017 of not paying its staff in nearly a month. This year the publisher also laid-off six of its thirty employees, was behind its production schedule, and had its account frozen by Citibank. In 2018 amidst payroll problems, Robyn Moreno co-president of Latina Media Ventures resigned.
- Alex Alvarez (May 3, 2010). "Latina Editorial Director Mimi Valdes Leaves The Magazine". Archived from the original on December 19, 2013. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- Steve Black (2009). "Life spans of Library Journal's "Best Magazines of the Year"". Serials Review. 35 (4): 213–217. doi:10.1080/00987913.2009.10765248.
- "Creative Artists Agency Hires Latina Magazine Founder Christy Haubegger". Business Wire. February 13, 2003. Archived from the original on May 22, 2011. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- "LATINA VIEW: LESSONS LEARNED FROM 15 YEARS OF JENNIFER LOPEZ".
- "Bloomberg: Executive Profile - Christy Haubegger".
- "Hard Times: Latina Media Accused of Robbing Staff Of Monthly Paycheck". June 2017.
- "Layoffs hit Latina Media as payroll struggles continue". 2017-07-05.
- Ben Moritz. "Latina Magazine is Dying Fast". Media Wire Daily.
- "Latina Media may have account unfrozen soon". New York Post. 2017-08-04.
- "Co-president at Latina resigns amid more payroll problems". New York Post.