Laren, North Holland
Laren (pronunciation (help·info)) is a town and municipality in the province of North Holland, Netherlands. Located in the Gooi region, it is the oldest town in the area. It is one of the most affluent in the Netherlands, along with its neighbour Blaricum.
Laren town centre
Location in North Holland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Rinske Kruisinga (acting) (CDA)|
|• Total||12.41 km2 (4.79 sq mi)|
|• Land||12.41 km2 (4.79 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.00 km2 (0.00 sq mi)|
|Elevation||5 m (16 ft)|
|• Density||897/km2 (2,320/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Nationally, Laren is well known for its history as a late 19th-century art colony, preserved in the museum Singer Laren, its retirement home for elderly artists Rosa Spier Huis, as well as its wide array of shops. Laren is part of the Amsterdam metropolitan area, situated east of Amsterdam. The town has an homonym in Gelderland, which is the setting for the book "The War in the Corner", by Jan Braakman.
The municipal council of Laren consists of 15 seats, which since 2014 are divided as follows:
In 2007, Laren had the following demographic data:
- Birth rate: 7.29 per 1,000
- Death rate: 17.94 per 1,000
- NGR: -1.07% per year
In August 2017, there were 11,135 inhabitants in Laren. The municipality has a population density of 897/km2 (2,320/sq mi).
- Willemien Aardenburg (born 1966), field hockey player
- Maurits Cornelis Escher (1898–1972), graphic artist, illustrator and printmaker
- Jozef Israëls (1824-1911), painter Laren School
- Anton Mauve (1838-1888), painter Laren School
- Maria Montessori (1870-1952), education reformer
- Albert Neuhuys (1844-1914), painter Laren School
- Mona Louise Parsons (1901–1976), member of Dutch resistance
- Marcel van der Westen (born 1976), track and field athlete
- Johan Briedé Artist, Illustrator of H.G. Wells books
- "drs. E.J. (Elbert) Roest" (in Dutch). Gemeente Laren. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 1251NA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- Statline.cbs.nl, Laren page.