Lambda Upsilon Lambda
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: flow, tone (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. (ΛΥΛ or LUL) is a Latino-based collegiate non-profit social fraternity. It was founded at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York on February 19, 1982, and has 71 active undergraduate chapters and 14 graduate alumni professional chapters in universities and cities across the United States. La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Incorporated is the only Latino fraternity to be chartered at all 8 Ivy League universities. While founded on Latino principles, Lambda Upsilon Lambda has been open to men of all races since its inception. The fraternity is a member of The National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations/ NALFO.
|Lambda Upsilon Lambda|
|ΛΥΛ - LUL|
|Founded||February 19, 1982|
Ithaca, New York
|Motto||La Unidad Para Siempre|
|Nicknames||LUL, Elite Lambdas|
|Headquarters||511 Sixth Avenue, PMB #39|
New York, New York
Lambda Upsilon Lambda started out as an idea in the Summer of 1981 by Latino students who felt the need for more brotherhood, unity, and cultural expression of their Latino heritage on campus. During the Fall semester of 1981, after 4 meetings amongst Latino male students, a club named "La Unidad Latina" was registered with the university on September 15, 1981. This club would set the foundation for discussions to create a fraternity on campus. The next semester in January 1982, the fraternity was officially registered with Cornell administration. The next month an official initiation ceremony would take place that would make the fraternity's officially recognized founding date as February 19, 1982 with 13 Founding Fathers (11 undergraduates and 2 faculty members). The fraternity was the first Latino based fraternity to be chartered at an Ivy League institution.
La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Incorporated mission statement is to primarily seek leadership role in meeting the needs of the Latino community through academic achievement, cultural awareness, community service and promotion of the Latino culture and people. The organization strives to become the country's leading
La Unidad Latina was founded by 13 gentlemen during a peak of political and community empowerment in our country. The 13 founding fathers consisted of 11 undergraduate students and 2 faculty members at Cornell University.
The thirteen founders of La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Incorporated are:
- William Barba
- Dennis De Jesus
- Hernando Londoño
- Jesse Luis
- Samuel Ramos
- Tomas Rincon
- Edwin Rivera
- Mario Rivera
- Victor Rodriguez
- Victor Silva
- Jose Torres
- Henry Villareal
- Jim Ziebel
Philanthropy-P.A.T.H.E (Providing Access To Higher Education)Edit
The goal of Lambda Upsilon Lambda's philanthropy, The P.A.T.H.E. Initiative (Providing Access To Higher Education), is to support Middle School/ High school students in their quest to graduate from a four-year college and beyond. The program supports local schools and organizations by mentoring future scholars, facilitating college/university tours, providing P.A.T.H.E. initiative workshops and advocating for the improvement of the educational system. In participating in the P.A.T.H.E. initiative, Lambda Upsilon Lambda provides future scholars with the social, educational and emotional support needed to reach these goals. Nationwide, a portion of the organization's chapters allocate and provide for local scholarships to either current or prospective college students.
LULF- La Unidad Latina FoundationEdit
The La Unidad Latina Foundation was established in 1999 as a platform for a non-profit, charitable organization dedicated to academic excellence and leadership in the Latino community. LULF is a branch of the fraternity and is operated by active alumni members. The educational scholarships offered by LULF are awarded to Latino/Hispanic undergraduate students that meet moderate requirements and range from $200-$1,000.
The Undergraduates chapterEdit
Undergraduate chapters of LUL:
- Alpha chapter - Cornell University, Ithaca College
- Beta chapter - Binghamton University
- Delta chapter - University of Pennsylvania, Temple University, Drexel University
- Zeta chapter - Brown University, Providence College, Rhode Island College
- Eta chapter - University at Albany, SUNY
- Theta chapter- Syracuse University
- Iota chapter - Rutgers University–New Brunswick
- Kappa chapter - Yale University
- Lambda chapter - Long Island University at C. W. Post
- Mu chapter - University of Rhode Island
- Nu chapter - Harvard College, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Tufts University, Boston College
- Xi chapter - Princeton University, Rider University
- Omicron chapter - New York University
- Pi chapter - State University of New York at New Paltz
- Rho chapter - Duke University
- Sigma chapter - Wesleyan University
- Tau chapter - Rutgers University–Newark, New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Upsilon chapter - Stony Brook University
- Phi chapter - University of Maryland, College Park, Johns Hopkins University
- Chi chapter - Georgetown University, George Washington University, American University
- Psi chapter - Dartmouth College
- Omega chapter - University of Rochester, Rochester Institute of Technology, St. John Fisher College, Nazareth College (New York)
- Alpha Alpha chapter - Stevens Institute of Technology
- Alpha Beta chapter - University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Alpha Gamma chapter - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Alpha Delta chapter - George Mason University
- Alpha Epsilon chapter - University of Virginia
- Alpha Zeta chapter - University of Chicago, DePaul University, Columbia College Chicago, Loyola University Chicago
- Alpha Eta chapter - Columbia University(New York), Fordham University, John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- Alpha Theta chapter - Our Lady of the Lake University
- Alpha Iota chapter - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Alpha Kappa chapter - Montclair State University
- Alpha Lambda chapter - St. John's University (New York City)
- Alpha Mu chapter - SUNY Oswego
- Alpha Nu chapter - Seton Hall University
- Alpha Xi chapter - Indiana University Bloomington
- Alpha Omicron chapter - James Madison University
- Alpha Pi chapter - Ramapo College
- Alpha Rho chapter - Florida International University
- Alpha Sigma chapter - Georgia Institute of Technology
- Alpha Tau chapter - Hamilton College (New York)
- Alpha Upsilon chapter - Hofstra University
- Alpha Phi chapter - University of Southern California
- Alpha Chi chapter - University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
- Alpha Psi chapter - Virginia Commonwealth University
- Alpha Omega chapter - William Paterson University
- Beta Alpha chapter - Old Dominion University
- Beta Beta chapter - Baruch College
- Beta Gamma chapter - Pace University
- Beta Delta chapter - University of South Florida
- Beta Epsilon chapter - Georgia State University
- Beta Zeta chapter - Johnson & Wales University-Providence
- Beta Eta chapter - University of California, Berkeley
- Beta Theta chapter - State University of New York College at Cortland
- Beta Iota chapter - University of Connecticut
- Beta Kappa chapter - University of Illinois at Chicago
- Beta Lambda chapter - Adelphi University
- Beta Mu chapter - Northern Illinois University
- Beta Nu chapter - Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis
- Beta Xi chapter - State University of New York at Old Westbury
- Beta Omicron chapter - Northwestern University
- Beta Pi chapter - Villanova University
- Beta Rho chapter - Rutgers University–Newark, New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Beta Sigma chapter - State University of New York at Plattsburgh
The Alumni professional chapterEdit
The Alumni professional chapters of LUL:
- Gamma Alpha chapter - New York, NY
- Gamma Beta chapter - Philadelphia, PA
- Gamma Gamma chapter - Buffalo, NY
- Gamma Delta chapter - Providence, RI
- Gamma Epsilon chapter - Washington, DC Metro Area
- Gamma Zeta chapter - Chicago, IL
- Gamma Eta chapter - Jersey City, NJ
- Gamma Theta chapter - Austin, TX
- Gamma Iota chapter - Los Angeles, CA
- Gamma Kappa chapter - Miami, FL
- Gamma Lambda chapter - Long Island, NY
- Gamma Mu chapter - Atlanta, GA
- Gamma Nu chapter - Orlando, FL
- Gamma Xi chapter - Albany, NY
Members within this organization refer to each other as Hermanos translated as brother in the Spanish language.
There are three ways to obtain membership within La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. which are throughout undergraduate chapters, alumni professional chapters and/or honorary status. Undergraduate and alumni professional chapters have separate academic requirements including prerequisites for membership. Honorary membership is decided by the organization's legislatives yearly. The fraternity is a nationwide based organization and is still expanding in several states within the United States.
- "The Story of LUL | La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc". Launidadlatina.org. 1982-02-19. Retrieved 2016-10-26.
- "Undergraduate Chapters | La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc". Launidadlatina.org. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2016-10-26.
- "Professional Chapters | La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc". Launidadlatina.org. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2016-10-26.
- "Lambda Facts | La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc". Launidadlatina.org. Retrieved 2016-10-26.
- "Mission". La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- "Founding Fathers". La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- "P.A.T.H.E. Initiative". La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Casado, Julio. "LULF - La Unidad Latina Foundation". www.lulf.org. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- "Undergraduate Chapters". La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- "Professional chapters". La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- "Eligibility & FAQs". La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. Retrieved 2018-05-09.