Lake Town, Kolkata
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Lake Town is a locality in South Dumdum Municipality of North 24 Parganas district in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is close to Kolkata and also a part of the area covered by Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA).
Kolkata Time Zone (replica of the Big Ben)
|District||North 24 Parganas|
|Metro Station||Belgachia and Jessore Road(under construction)|
|• Body||South Dumdum Municipality|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Telephone code||+91 33|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Barasat|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Bidhannagar|
Lake Town is surrounded by Bangur Avenue, Dum Dum Park and Kestopur in the north, Salt Lake in the east, Belgachia, Ultadanga in the South and Patipukur, Paikpara in the West. Kalidaha (Kalindi) is situated to the west of Lake Town, on the other side of Jessore Road.
The neighbourhood was developed in a planned manner after the Independence of India. Today, it is one of the important food and leisure hub in west Bengal having many international fast food chains and a shopping mall.[failed verification]
Real estate BoomEdit
A planned township with large open spaces, parks and a lake, Lake Town is one of the most sought-after residential areas of Northern fringes of Kolkata. Its proximity to Dumdum/Kolkata Airport and commercial centres like Salt Lake and New Town has been a catalyst for the rising property prices in recent years.
Some of Kolkata's prominent Real Estate firms have their presence in Lake Town.
- Ujaas - The Condoville by Bengal Ambuja
- Avani Oxford Phase I and II by Avani Group
- Alcove Gloria by Alcove Realty, an arm of Diamond Group
- Big Bazaar Family Centre - Kolkata's largest Big Bazaar, is a part of the locality
Buses ply along Jessore Road, Lake Town Road and VIP Road in Lake Town. There is also Ultadanga Flyover which was inaugurated in 2011. The flyover connects EM Bypass (Bidhan Sishu Udyan, Ultadanga) with VIP Road (Dakshindari, Lake Town) and has reduced traffic jam at "Hudco More" of Ultadanga.
The Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport is at a distance of about 7 kilometres from Lake Town.
- "Fast food chain spreads wings". The Telegraph. 1 July 2010. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- Shamik Bag (13 August 2010). "Not another brick in the wall". Mint. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Khan, Charu (4 July 1989). "Charu Khan, Portrait of an Artist". M C Sarkar Sons Pvt Ltd – via Google Books.
- "Ultadanga Flyover".