This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Native name||suwa-ko (諏訪湖)|
|Primary inflows||31 small rivers of the Kiso Mountains|
|Primary outflows||Tenryū River|
|Surface area||13.3 km2 (5.1 sq mi)|
|Average depth||4.7 m (15 ft)|
|Max. depth||7.2 m (24 ft)|
|Shore length1||15.9 km (9.9 mi)|
|Surface elevation||759 m (2,490 ft)|
|Settlements||Okaya, Suwa, Shimosuwa|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Lake Suwa is the site of a natural phenomenon known as the "God's Crossing" (御神渡り o-miwatari). The lake has a natural hot spring under its surface. When the lake's surface freezes in the winter, its lower waters are still circulating. This results in ice pressure ridges forming in the surface ice, reaching heights of 30 centimetres (1 ft) or more.
Local Shinto tradition holds that the ridges are formed by the gods crossing the lake, when travelling between the various buildings of the Suwa Grand Shrine. Folklore says it is the guardian god of Suwa, Takeminakata-no-kami, leaving his sanctuary to meet with his wife, the goddess Yasakatome, joining the opposite bank by walking on frozen water.
Research on ice breakup on the lake and at the mouth of the Torne River in Finland suggested "global processes including climate change and variability are driving the long-term changes in ice seasonality."
"A View of Mount Fuji across Lake Suwa."
In popular cultureEdit
- In the movie Kagemusha by Akira Kurosawa, Lord Shingen is buried in the lake.
- In Autobiography of a Geisha, Sayo Masuda tries to drown herself in the lake as a child, but hesitates because she believes a dragon inhabits it.
- In the anime Rurouni Kenshin, legend holds of an "Elixir of Immortality" that can be found somewhere in or around Lake Suwa. The main characters search for the elixir in the final season of the series and are followed by a band of evil German knights, seeking it for world domination.
- In the anime film Kimi no Na wa by Makoto Shinkai the lake and scenery of Itomori town which is home to the heroine Mitsuha Miyamizu was modeled after this lake.
- The anime Blood-C takes place in a rural town located on the shore of the lake.
- Sharma, Sapna; Magnuson, John J; Batt, Ryan D; Winslow, Luke A; Korhonen, Johanna; Aono, Yasuyuki (2016). "Direct observations of ice seasonality reveal changes in climate over the past 320–570 years". Scientific Reports. 6. doi:10.1038/srep25061. PMC 4844970. Article ID 25061. Retrieved 2016-05-07.
- Bell, Jillian (2016-04-27). "Industrial Revolution strongly tied to earlier thaws, later freezes: study". CBC News. Retrieved 2016-05-07.
- Media related to Lake Suwa at Wikimedia Commons