Ladue Horton Watkins High School
Ladue Horton Watkins High School is a public high school in Ladue, Missouri, United States, that is administered by the Ladue School District. Its namesake, Horton Watkins, was vice president of the International Shoe Company and died in 1949. The family of Horton Watkins donated the 28-acre (11 ha) tract of land on South Warson Road to the school for the high school site as a memorial.
|Ladue Horton Watkins High School|
1201 South Warson Road
|Type||Comprehensive public high school|
|Teaching staff||86.74 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.65|
|School color(s)||Blue and white|
|Rivals||Clayton High School|
|USNWR ranking||166th (2013)|
|Feeder schools||Ladue Middle School|
|Website||Ladue Horton Watkins High School|
Ladue HS was listed for 2013 as the 166th-best public high school in America and best in the state based by Newsweek. In the 2014 list it was unranked. In the 2015 list, it was ranked second in the state, but first in non-selective schools—same in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
For the 2011–12 school year, the school offered 26 activities approved by the Missouri State High School Activities Association (MSHSAA): baseball, boys and girls basketball, cheerleading, boys and girls cross country, dance team, field hockey, football, boys golf, girls lacrosse, orchestra, band and vocal music, scholar bowl, boys and girls soccer, girls softball, speech and debate, boys' and girls' swimming and diving, boys' and girls' tennis, boys and girls track and field, girls volleyball, water polo, and wrestling. In addition to its MSHSAA activities, the school offers students an opportunity to participate in a variety of other school-sponsored clubs.
The Ladue Rams have won several state championships:
- Scholar bowl: 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Boys' golf: 1960, 1970
- Boys' swimming and diving: 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963
- Girls swimming and diving: 1976
- Boys tennis: 1962, 1985, 1995
- Girls tennis: 1978, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992
- Boys track and field: 2003
- Girls track and field: 2005
- Boys Ice hockey: 1994
- Water Polo: 1973
- Boy's Football: 2018
The demographic breakdown of the 1,271 students enrolled for the 2012–2013 school year was:
- American Indian/Alaskan Native - 0.3%
- Asian/Pacific islander - 10.1%
- Black - 17.6%
- Hispanic - 4.5%
- White - 63.6%
- Multiracial - 3.9%
- Male - 48.0%
- Female - 52.0%
In addition, 12.2% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- John H. "Todd" Armstrong '56 - actor, star of Jason and the Argonauts
- Paul William Bucha - '61 - Medal of Honor recipient, US Army, Captain, Vietnam
- Jehu Chesson '12 - football player for the Michigan Wolverines and the Kansas City Chiefs
- Frances Ginsberg '73 - opera soprano
- Duane Hawthorne '95 - football player
- Willy Holtzman '69 - Peabody Award winner Humanitas Award winning playwright
- Dorothea Lasky '96 - poet
- Jim McKelvey '83 - co-founder of Square, Inc.
- Joel Meyers '72 - sportscaster
- Eric Nenninger '97 - actor
- Elissa L. Newport '65 - scientist
- Andy Russell '59 - football player
- Becky Sauerbrunn '03 - soccer player, U.S. Women's National Team
- Jeff Smith '92 - politician
- Ben C. Solomon '06 - Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist
- Kevin Spirtas, '80 - actor
- Todd Susman ‘65 - Actor
- Courtney Van Buren '98 - football player
- Justin Willman '98 - actor, magician and entertainer
- "Ladue Horton Watkins High School Profile". Ladue Schools. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Ladue Horton Watkins High". ed.gov. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "America's Best High Schools 2013". Newsweek. May 6, 2013. p. 7. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- High School Profile 2011-12 Archived 2011-08-14 at the Wayback Machine, p. 2
- LANIT Consulting. "::MSHSAA::Ladue Horton Watkins High School". mshsaa.org. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- MSHSAA: Championship Histories by Sport
- "Quizbowl Research Database".
- "St. Louisan Todd Armstrong Starred in JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS in 1963". December 19, 2013. Retrieved May 10, 2014.