Frontier of the Dawn
Frontier of the Dawn also Frontier of Dawn (French: La Frontière de l'aube) is a 2008 French drama film directed by Philippe Garrel. It stars Louis Garrel, Laura Smet, and Clémentine Poidatz. It tells the story of a photographer who is haunted by the ghost of his dead lover. It was screened at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival in competition. It was released in France on 8 October 2008.
|Frontier of the Dawn|
|French||La Frontière de l'aube|
|Directed by||Philippe Garrel|
|Written by||Marc Cholodenko|
|Produced by||Edouard Weil|
|Edited by||Yann Dedet|
|Music by||Jean-Claude Vannier|
|Distributed by||Les Films du Losange|
A photographer François visits actress Carole's apartment to take pictures of her. Although Carole has a husband, François and Carole have an affair for a while. After François ends their relationship, Carole suffers a mental illness and commits suicide. A year later, François's lover Ève gets pregnant, and the two will get married. François is haunted by Carole's ghost.
- Louis Garrel as François
- Laura Smet as Carole
- Clémentine Poidatz as Ève
- Olivier Massart as Ève's father
- Jérôme Robart as François' friend
- Emmanuel Broche as François' friend
- Cédric Vieira as François' friend
- Grégory Gadebois as Carole's friend
- Vladislav Galard as Carole's friend
- Julie Pouillon as Carole's friend
Aaron Cutler of Slant Magazine wrote: "At times Frontier feels more like homage than like a film in its own right, but if its goal is to pay tribute to the dead, lost, and forgotten, then a reheated quality may be precisely the point." Karina Longworth of IndieWire wrote: "Hands down the most accessible Garrel film I've seen, it's still a strange, swoony, genre-bending challenge."
- "Frontier of the Dawn". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 5 March 2020.
- Brody, Richard (23 February 2009). "The Frontier of Dawn". The New Yorker. Archived from the original on 18 July 2010. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- Felperin, Leslie (22 May 2008). "Frontier of Dawn". Variety. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- Lemercier, Fabien (8 October 2008). "Khamsa's young gypsy wins over critics". Cineuropa. Retrieved 5 March 2020.
- Collett-White, Mike (25 May 2008). "Epic film "Che" looks at guerrilla's life and death". Reuters. Retrieved 5 March 2020.
- "La Frontiere de l'Aube (Frontier of the Dawn)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- Cutler, Aaron (16 March 2009). "La Belle Personne (Christophe Honoré) and Frontier of Dawn (Philippe Garrel)". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- Longworth, Karina (6 March 2009). "Review: Frontier of Dawn". IndieWire. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- Brody, Richard. "Best of 2009". The New Yorker. Retrieved 19 October 2018.