La Fayette (film)
La Fayette is a 1961 French-Italian biographical film directed by Jean Dréville and starring Pascale Audret, Jack Hawkins and Orson Welles. The film depicts the life of Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette, in particular his role in the American War of Independence.
|Directed by||Jean Dréville|
|Produced by||Jean Dréville|
|Written by||Jean Bernard-Luc|
Michel Le Royer
|Music by||Pierre Duclos|
|Edited by||René Le Hénaff|
Les Films Copernic
|Distributed by||Comacico (France)|
|8 February 1962 (France) (premiere)|
|Box office||$100,000 (US/Canada rentals)|
- Michel Le Royer - La Fayette
- Howard St. John - George Washington
- Orson Welles - Benjamin Franklin
- Pascale Audret - Adrienne de La Fayette
- Jack Hawkins - General Cornwallis
- Liselotte Pulver - Marie Antoinette
- Folco Lulli - Le Boursier
- Wolfgang Preiss - Baron Kalb
- Edmund Purdom - Silas Deane
- Georges Rivière - Vergennes
- Rosanna Schiaffino - Comtesse de Simiane
- Vittorio De Sica - Aaron Bancroft
- Jacques Castelot - Duc d'Ayen
- Jean-Roger Caussimon - Maurepas
- Jean-Jacques Delbo - L'exempt
Allmovie wrote, "the story of a Frenchman who fought to liberate the American colonies from British rule is colorfully brought to the screen...Orson Welles gives a memorable performance as Benjamin Franklin"; while TV Guide found "the picture is weighed down by its need for spectacle, and displays little grace in its presentation. It boasts two of cinema's greatest directors as part of the cast--Welles, doing his best as Ben Franklin, and De Sica." 
- "Feature films shot, released domestically in 70mm process". Daily Variety. May 21, 1992. p. 22.
- "LA FAYETTE". BFI. Archived from the original on 2009-01-14.
- "Lafayette (1961) - Trailers, Reviews, Synopsis, Showtimes and Cast - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "Lafayette". TV Guide.