Lone Star Funds(Redirected from LStar Capital)
Lone Star Funds is an American private equity firm that invests in distressed assets in the U.S., Canada and internationally. The founder of Lone Star established its first fund in 1995 (under a different name) and Lone Star has to date organized fifteen private equity funds with total capital commitments since inception of over $59 billion (as of June 2015). Lone Star’s investors include corporate and public pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, university endowments, foundations, fund of funds and high-net-worth individuals. Lone Star Funds has affiliate offices in North America, Europe and Japan.
|Headquarters||Tower at Cityplace
Dallas, Texas, United States
(Founder & Chairman)
|Products||Investments, Private equity funds|
|Total assets||$45 billion|
Hudson Advisors LLC, an approximately 800-person global asset management company owned and controlled by the founder of Lone Star, performs due diligence and analysis, asset management and related services for Lone Star Funds. In this capacity, Hudson Advisors LLC has managed in excess of $95 billion of assets for Lone Star Funds since inception.
Lone Star was founded by John Grayken. From 1993 to 1995, Mr. Grayken was Chairman and CEO of Brazos Partners L.P., a joint venture between the Robert M. Bass Group and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, that resolved approximately 1,300 “bad bank” assets resulting from the U.S. savings and loan crisis in the early ‘90s. During this period, Brazos Advisors LLC was formed to provide asset-management and related services to Brazos Partners.
Following Brazos Partners, Grayken organized institutional capital to continue investing in distressed assets, closing Brazos Fund, L.P. in 1995 with approximately $250 million of capital commitments.
After an expansion into Canada in 1995 and 1996, Grayken pursued the launch of a global platform for Lone Star in 1997. Since then, Lone Star has invested extensively in North America, Europe and East Asia. Lone Star invested primarily in East Asia, including Japan, Korea, Indonesia and Taiwan, following the Asian financial crisis in the late 1990s. In the mid-2000s, following the establishment of the Eurozone, Lone Star increased its investment focus in Europe. And with the onset of the global financial crisis, from 2007 Lone Star was again actively investing in the U.S.
In March 2017, the Portuguese Central Bank announced that Lone Star Funds will acquire 75% of third largest Portuguese bank, Novo Banco, in return for a capital injection of €1bn. The other 25% will be retained by the Portuguese bank's resolution fund. In October 2017 the deal was closed and Lone Star Funds started controlling 75% of Novo Banco.
Lone Star invests in a variety of asset classes, primarily distressed opportunities in developed markets.
Motion picture financingEdit
Through its credit affiliate, LStar Capital (officially LSC Film Corporation), the company entered the motion picture financing sector when they signed a $200 million deal with Sony Pictures in early 2014. The deal gives them a financial stake in nearly all of Sony's upcoming films. However, due the poor box-office performance of Sony's movies, the two firms severed ties on July 17, 2017, two years before the deal was set to end.
Funds investment vehiclesEdit
|Lone Star Fund X||2016||$5.5B|
|Lone Star Real Estate Fund V||2016||$5.8B|
|Lone Star Real Estate Fund IV||2015||$5.8B|
|Lone Star Residential Mortgage Fund I||2015||$1.3B|
|Lone Star Fund IX||2014||$7.2B|
|Lone Star Real Estate Fund III||2013||$7.0B|
|Lone Star Fund VIII||2013||$5.1B|
|Lone Star Fund VII||2010||$4.6B|
|Lone Star Real Estate Fund II||2010||$5.5B|
|Lone Star Fund VI||2008||$7.5B|
|Lone Star Real Estate Fund||2008||$2.4B|
|Lone Star Fund V||2005||$5.1B|
|Lone Star Fund IV||2002||$4.2B|
|Lone Star Fund III||2000||$2.3B|
|Lone Star Fund II||1999||$1.2B|
|Lone Star Opportunity Fund||1997||$396M|
- "Fund Summary". Archived from the original on 2011-12-08.
- Ellie Pullen (April 29, 2013). "Lone Star and Credit Suisse buy €6.7bn RPI portfolio". Unquote.com.
- "Kardan sells 27.75% stake in CEE real estate company GTC SA". Property EU. November 17, 2013.
- Chad Eric Watt (August 22, 2010). "Lone Star selling S.E. grocery chain". Dallas Business Journal.
- "Company Overview of Lone Star Funds". Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- "About Hudson Advisors". Hudson Advisors. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- "Hudson Advisors, L.L.C." Inside View. Archived from the original on November 26, 2013. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- Megan Barnett (April 29, 2013). "Lone Star". Unquote.com.
- Jenny Anderson (July 30, 2008). "An Investment Firm That Prospered From Past Crises Turns to Mortgages". The New York Times.
- Steve Bills (May 30, 2013). "Distress Specialist Lone Star Turns To Europe". Thomson Reuters.
- "About Lone Star". Lone Star Funds. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Hudson Advisors Successful Track Record". Hudson Advisors. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Brazos Advisors renamed Hudson Advisors; corporate offices relocated". Business Wire. April 9, 1997.
- "Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Retirement Board Interdepartmental Correspondence" (PDF). Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Retirement Board. August 18, 2010.
- "Ahold completes Bruno's, Bi-Lo sale". Birmingham Business Journal. January 31, 2005.
- Keith Russell (April 7, 2002). "Shoney's a typical fit for Lone Star Funds". The Tennessean.
- Kollewe, Julia (29 July 2015). "Lone Star buys Wembley Arena owner Quintain for £700m". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Chad Bray (March 31, 2017). "Lone Star to Buy Controlling Stake in Portugal's Novo Banco". The New York Times.
- "Lone Star takes charge of Portugal's state-rescued Novo Banco". Reuters. October 18, 2017.
- Kelly DePonte (May 2010). "An overview of the private equity distressed debt and restructuring markets" (PDF). Probitas Partners.
- "Sony Nails $200 Million Co-Financing Deal with LStar Capital, Citibank". The Wrap. April 9, 2014.
- Faughnder, Ryan (2017-07-17). "Sony Pictures and co-financing partner LStar Capital cut ties". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- "The Funds". Lone Star Funds. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- Peter Flanagan (April 26, 2015). "Lone Star aims for more deals in Europe". Irish Independent.
- Steve Gelsi (January 5, 2015). "Lone Star's first home mortgage fund beats $1 bln target". Buyouts Insider.
- Timothy Pollard (January 6, 2015). "Largest closed-end, private real estate funds raised in 2014". Pensions & Investments.