LGBT rights in Togo
|Status||Illegal since 1884 (as Togoland)|
|Penalty||1-3 years imprisonment, fine|
|Recognition of relationships||Unknown|
Law regarding same-sex sexual activityEdit
Adoption of childrenEdit
According to a website of the French government, single and married people are eligible to adopt children. The website does not say whether LGBT people are disqualified.
The U.S. Department of State's 2011 human rights report found that,
The law provides that a person who engages in a consensual same-sex sexual act may be punished by one to three years' imprisonment and fined 100,000 to 500,000 CFA francs ($208 to $1,041). There were no prosecutions [in 2011] for homosexuality or the often related charge of indecent assault. The eight persons arrested for same-sex sexual conduct in 2010 remained incarcerated. Societal discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity occurred, and there were no known lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender organizations.
|Same-sex sexual activity legal||(Penalty: Fine and up to 3 years imprisonment)|
|Equal age of consent|
|Anti-discrimination laws in employment only|
|Anti-discrimination laws in the provision of goods and services|
|Anti-discrimination laws in all other areas (Incl. indirect discrimination, hate speech)|
|Recognition of same-sex couples|
|Step-child adoption by same-sex couples|
|Joint adoption by same-sex couples|
|Gays and lesbians allowed to serve openly in the military|
|Right to change legal gender|
|Access to IVF for lesbians|
|Commercial surrogacy for gay male couples|
|MSMs allowed to donate blood|
- The official text of Article 88 in French (Code pénal):
Sera puni d'un emprisonnement d'un à trois (03) ans et d'une amende de 100 000 à 500 000 francs quiconque aura commis un acte impudique ou contre nature avec un individu de son sexe.
- Where is it illegal to be gay?
- 2011 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices: Togo, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, U.S. Department of State, page 20
- Itaborahy, Lucas Paoli (May 2013). "State-sponsored Homophobia: A world survey of laws prohibiting same sex activity between consenting adults". The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 July 2013. Retrieved 3 June 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Fiches pays Adoption: Togo", France Diplomatie, French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Google translation
|This article about lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender-related law is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Togo-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|