LGBT billionaires refers to any people who identify as being LGBT in any way who are considered to be very wealthy in terms of the monetary fortune they control. According to American LGBT-interest magazine The Advocate, Italian fashion designer Giorgio Armani with a net worth of $8.1 billion is currently the world's richest person who is openly part of the LGBT community.
In 1980, DreamWorks co-founder David Geffen came out as the first openly gay billionaire in the world. He had dated women before such as Cher, but finally came to terms with this sexuality in the early 1980s and had become one of the most important forces in the gay rights movement by 1992.
Giorgio Armani is known for being notoriously private and has remained relatively quiet about his own sexuality. The Sunday Times speculates he has remained quiet on the subject out of fear sales of Armani might decline in Asia if he officially came out. However, in 2000 he told Vanity Fair, "I have had women in my life. And sometimes men."
On 16 August 2013, Jennifer Pritzker made headlines by announcing she now identifies herself as a woman for all business and personal undertakings. This announcement made Pritzker the world's first openly transgender billionaire. In October 2015, Norway's second richest billionaire Stein Erik Hagen came out as bisexual on the Norwegian talk show Skavlan.
|No.||Name||Net worth (USD)||Status||Citizenship||Ref(s)|
|1||Giorgio Armani||$8.1 billion||Bisexual||Italy|
|2||David Geffen||$6.1 billion||Gay||United States|
|3||Stein Erik Hagen||$4.3 billion||Bisexual||Norway|
|4||Peter Thiel||$3.3 billion||Gay||United States|
|5||Jennifer Pritzker||$1.8 billion||Transgender||United States|
|6||Domenico Dolce||$1.74 billion||Gay||Italy|
|7||Jon Stryker||$1.6 billion||Gay||United States|
|8||Stefano Gabbana||$1.56 billion||Gay||Italy|
|9||Megan Ellison||$1.5 billion||Lesbian||United States|
|10||Tim Cook||$1.3 billion||Gay||United States|
|11||Michael Kors||$1.0 billion||Gay||United States|
- Dobbins, Leslie (February 12, 2015). "14 Insanely Wealthy LGBT People". The Advocate.
- David Geffen (This article was originally published in September 1994)
- Giorgio Armani Says Gay Men Shouldn't 'Dress Homosexual'
- Giorgio Armani says gay men shouldn’t ‘dress homosexual’
- Brian Solomon, "Jennifer Pritzker Becomes First Transgender Billionaire", Forbes, September 16, 2013.
- Norway’s Second Richest Billionaire Comes Out As Bisexual
- "#174 Giorgio Armani". Forbes.
- Robehmed, Natalie (March 3, 2014). "Meet The World's LGBT Billionaires". Forbes.
- "Norway's second richest billionaire comes out as bisexual on chat show watched by 3m viewers". The Independent.
- "Three Game-Changing Female Producers Make Sure Passion-Driven Films Hit the Screen". Variety.