Kwes ( //; sometimes stylised as kwes, kwes., Kwes. or [o=o]. ) is a British record producer, songwriter and artist from London, England. Kwes is best known for his production and collaborative work. He has worked with a variety of artists including Bobby Womack, Damon Albarn, ELIZA, Kano, Kelela, Loyle Carner, Micachu, Nao, Nubya Garcia, Solange, Selah Sue and Tirzah. Kwes is also currently signed to Warp Records as a solo artist and released his debut album, ilp in October 2013.
|Origin||Lewisham, London, England|
Kwes began playing his grandparents' organ at the age of four and his grandmother bought him his first small keyboard aged 5. For his tenth birthday, he received a radio/tape recorder with a built-in microphone, which launched his interest in sound recording.
His earliest synaesthetic experiences occurred around the age of 4 and he attempted to colour paper with the particular colours he was seeing when listening to music. These colours have been set since he first discovered his condition: "any form of a G-chord would have orange in it, and the other notes which are not G accompanying that G-chord would have an effect on the type of orange it is. Majors tend to be slightly brighter. Same applies for D which is always – yellow/green, E which is Yellow/gold, F which is violet/blue, C – Blue, A – light blue, B – yellow/gold/green."
Colour is not in my direct field of vision, it's more in my peripheral field of vision, so it's just something that's always going on; it doesn't annoy me, or it doesn't amuse me, or it doesn't make me feel good, it's a normal occurrence to me. But at the same time, that could be why I love music so much.
His synaesthetic impressions of his own music are translated in the artwork to his solo releases, including "Hearts in Home" and "No Need to Run".
|2021||Tirzah||Recipe, Sink In||Colourgrade (LP)||Domino||Mixing, a&r|
|2021||Brodka||All Tracks||BRUT (LP)||Kayax/[PIAS]||Co-mixing|
|2021||Black Coffee||Never Gonna Forget with Diplo ft. Elderbrook||Never Gonna Forget (single)||Ultra Records||Co-production, co-write|
|2021||Virgil Abloh||Delicate Limbs ft. serpentwithfeet||Delicate Limbs (single)||Columbia||Co-production, co-write|
|2020||Landshapes||All tracks||Contact (LP)||Bella Union||Production, mixing|
|2020||Loyle Carner||Yesterday||Yesterday (single)||EMI||Vocal engineer|
|2020||Duval Timothy||Fall Again||Help (LP)||Carrying Colour||OP-1|
|2020||Nubya Garcia||All tracks||Source (LP)||Concord||Co-production, mixing|
|2020||otta||All tracks||Songbook (EP)||BOKKLE/[PIAS]||Add prod, mixing, a&r|
|2020||Elan Tamara||My Eyes||My Eyes (single)||BOKKLE/[PIAS]||prod, mixing, a&r|
|2020||Denai Moore||Hail||Modern Dread (LP)||Because||Co-production, co-write|
|2020||Daniel Merriweather||Paradise||Paradise (single)||Self released||Add prod, mixing|
|2020||Nubya Garcia||Pace||Pace (single)||Concord||Co-production, mixing|
|2020||Selah Sue||All tracks||Bedroom EP (EP)||Because||Co-production, mixing|
|2020||LA Timpa||All tracks||Amounts Equal Afraid (LP)||O___O||Mixing|
|2020||otta||All tracks||after it all blew over (EP)||BOKKLE/[PIAS]||Add prod, mixing, a&r|
|2019||Daniel Merriweather||Everything I Need||Everything I Need (single)||Self released||Mixing|
|2019||Camelia||All tracks||Everytime / Sometimes (single)||Self released||Mixing|
|2019||Little Miss Sumo||All tracks||Little Miss Sumo (OST)||Walks of Life Films, Netflix||Composition, mixing|
|2019||Nérija||All tracks||Blume (LP)||Domino||Production, mixing, a&r, artwork|
|2019||Loyle Carner||"Still", "Desoleil", "Krispy", "Carluccio", "Ice Water"||Not Waving, But Drowning (LP)||AMF, Virgin EMI||Production, co-write on "Still", "Desoleil", "Krispy", "Carluccio". Additional production on "Ice Water"|
|2019||Arlo Day||All tracks||Bad Timing (EP)||Domino||Mixing, a&r|
|2019||Nérija||All tracks||NÉRIJA EP (EP)||Domino||Mixing, a&r|
|2018||Ragz Originale||All tracks||Nature (LP)||Mini Kingz||Executive Production|
|2018||Hilang Child||All tracks||Years (LP)||Bella Union||Mixing|
|2018||Tirzah||All tracks||Devotion (LP)||Domino||Mixing, a&r|
|2018||Kwes.||All tracks||songs for Midi (EP)||Warp||Production, write, mixing, primary artist|
|2017||Kelela||All tracks||Take Me Apart (LP)||Warp||Mixing|
|2017||Kelela||"Waitin", "Take Me Apart", "Enough", "Better", "LMK", "Truth or Dare", "Turn To Dust", "Altadena"||Take Me Apart (LP)||Warp||Additional production w/ various|
|2017||All We Are||All tracks||Sunny Hills (LP)||Domino||Co-production, mixing, a&r|
|2017||ELIZA||"Wide Eyed Fool"||"Wide Eyed Fool" (single)||ELIZA||Mixing|
|2017||Loyle Carner||"Florence", "Mrs C" and "Sun of Jean"||Yesterday's Gone (LP)||AMF, Virgin EMI||Production, co-write (on all tracks); Production, co-write and mixing (on "Florence")|
|2017||Coby Sey||"Petals Have Fallen"||Petals Have Fallen (single)||self-release||Add. production; mixing|
|2017||BILA||"Didn't Lose"||Didn't Lose (single)||self-release||Production, co-write|
|2017||Coby Sey||All tracks||Whities 010: Transport for Lewisham (EP)||AD 93 (Whities)||Co-mixing w/ Coby Sey|
|2017||Elan Tamara||"Long Walks"||"Long Walks" (single)||self-release||Production|
|2016||Solange||"Don't You Wait", "Where Do We Go", "Don't Wish Me Well", "Scales"||A Seat at the Table (LP)||Saint, Columbia||Co-production, co-write w/ various|
|2016||PAULi||All tracks||The Idea of Tomorrow (EP)||PAULi||Co-production|
|2016||Kano||"My Sound"||Made in the Manor (LP)||BPM, Parlophone||Additional production, co-write w/ Blue May and Jodi Milliner|
|2016||Hudson Mohawke||"Indian Steps"||Lantern (LP)||Warp||Additional production w/ Hudson Mohawke|
|2016||Samuel||All tracks||Luv Cry (EP)||Big Dada||Production, co-production|
|2016||Nao||"It's You"||15 February (EP)||Little Tokyo, Sony||Production, co-write|
|2016||Rosie Lowe||"Right Thing"||Control (LP)||Wolf Tone, Polydor||Production, co-write w/ Dave Okumu and Rosie Lowe|
|2016||Samuel||"These Days"||These Days (single)||Big Dada||Production|
|2015||George Maple||"Gripp" ft. Kilo Kish||Vacant Space||Future Classic Pty, Virgin EMI||Production, co-write|
|2014||DELS||All tracks||Petals Have Fallen (LP)||Big Dada||Production, co-write w/ various|
|2014||Kwes.||All tracks||ilpix (EP)||Warp||Production, write, primary artist|
|2014||Moko||"Missing Love"||Gold (EP)||MTA, Virgin EMI||Production, co-write|
|2014||Shivum Sharma||All tracks||Flicker/Only You (single)||National Anthem||Production|
|2014||Rosie Lowe||All tracks||Right Thing (EP)||37 Adventures||Production, co-write w/ Dave Okumu and Rosie Lowe|
|2014||Pusha T||"Who I Am" ft. 2 Chainz and Big Sean||My Name Is My Name (LP)||GOOD, Def Jam||Sampled|
|2014||Eliza Doolittle||Don't Call It Love||In Your Hands (LP)||Parlophone||Production, co-write|
|2013||Kwes.||All tracks||ilp (LP)||Warp||Production, write, primary artist|
|2013||Valentina||All tracks||Wolves (EP)||Greco Roman||Production w/ various|
|2012||Bobby Womack||"Whatever Happened to the Times"||The Bravest Man in the Universe (LP)||XL||Production w/ Damon Albarn and Richard Russell|
|2012||Kwesachu (Kwes & Micachu)||All tracks||Kwesachu Mixtape Vol.2 (mixtape)||self-release||Production w/ Micachu|
|2012||Kwes.||All tracks||Meantime||Warp||Production, write, mixing, primary artist|
|2012||Speech Debelle||All tracks||Freedom of Speech||Big Dada||Production, co-write|
|2012||Sunless '97||All tracks||Making Waves (EP)||Abeano/XL||Production|
|2012||Valentina||All tracks||Weights (EP)||Little Chaos||Production w/ Blue May|
|2011||Elan Tamara||All tracks||Organ (EP)||Big Dada||Production|
|2011||DRC Music||"Customs", "Three Piece Sweet Part 1 & 2", "If You Wish to Stay Awake", "Departure", "Three Piece Sweet Part 3 (bonus track)"||Kinshasa One Two (LP)||Warp||Production, co-write w/ various|
|2011||DELS||"Hydronenberg", "Moonshing", "Eating Clouds", "Violina/Bread Before Bed", "DLR", "Droogs", "GOB"||GOB (LP)||Big Dada||Production, co-write|
|2010||Dog Bite||All tracks||Machino Machino/Take Your Time (single)||Young Turks||Production|
|2010||Elan Tamara||All tracks||Shadows (EP)||self-release||Production|
|2010||Kwes.||All tracks||No Need To Run (EP)||Young Turks||Production, mixing, write, primary artist|
|2009||Elan Tamara||All tracks||Gold Fishes (EP)||self-release||Production|
|2009||Kwesachu (Kwes. & Micachu)||All tracks||Kwesachu Mixtape Vol.1 (mixtape)||self-release||Production w/ Micachu|
|2009||Kwes.||All tracks||Hearts in Home/Tissues (single)||Salvia/XL||Production, write, primary artist|
|2009||Micachu||"Outro"||Filthy Friends: Volume 1 (mixtape)||self-release||Production|
|2007||Jack Peñate||"A Good Weapon"||Second, Minute or Hour (single)||XL||Keyboards|
|2007||Jack Peñate||"Run For Your Life"||Matinée (LP)||XL||Keyboards|
|2010||No Need To Run|
|2018||songs for Midi|
|Year||Remix EP details|
- "Hearts in Home" (16 February 2009)
- "Get Up" (13 November 2011)
- "Bashful" (7 March 2012)
- "Rollerblades" (26 November 2012)
|2010||Kwesachu Mixtape Vol.1 with Micachu
|2012||Kwesachu Mixtape Vol.2 with Micachu
Live session dutiesEdit
- Ebony Bones – Guitarist (2006–2007, 2008)
- Bono Must Die now O. Children – Keyboardist (2007)
- Jack Peñate – Laptop and keyboards (2009)
- Kwesachu (with Micachu) – co-production and co-selector (2009–?)
- Elan Tamara – Bassist (2009–2011)
- Leftfield – Keyboards and Computers (2010)
- Bobby Womack – Keyboards (2012–2013)
- "Why Kwes's ilp is the one album you should listen to this week – video". The Guardian. 18 October 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- (January 2009). Kwes. / [o=o].. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- Fitzmaurice, Larry (11 June 2010). Kwes: 'No Need To Run' | Forkcast | Pitchfork. Pitchfork. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- Dickins, Kieren (December 2008). Kwes. – A Tribe Called Next. A Tribe Called Next. Retrieved 2011-06-15.[dead link]
- Wright, Scott (17 June 2010). Dollars to Pounds: Kwes « The FADER. The FADER. Retrieved 15 June 2010.
- (November 2011). 24 Year Old Producer, Kwes Collaboration – The Producers season 2 episode 3 – YouTube. Red Bull Music / The Producers. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- Erkas, Sinem (December 2008).SINEM ERKAS illustrator & graphic designer – Kwes record sleeve series. Sinem Erkas. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- "Shivum Sharma – Flicker". Dazed. 20 February 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- "Introducing: Rosie Lowe - "If you reach that one person, your job is done."". The 405. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- Martin, Andrew (10 September 2012). "Listen: Eliza Doolittle "Don't Call It Love". Complex.com. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- (1 May 2013). "prettymuchamazing.com". Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- Dombal, Ryan (14 June 2012). Bobby Womack: The Bravest Man in the Universe | Album Reviews | Pitchfork. Pitchfork.com. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- Murray, Robin (10 November 2011). Speech Debelle Returns – 10 Nov 2011 | Clash Music Latest Breaking Music News. Clash Magazine. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- Recommender, The (13 October 2011). SUNLESS '97 – The Recommender. therecommender.net. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- » Interview: Valentina DRUNKENWEREWOLF. Drunkenwerewolf.com (30 November 2011). Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- Michaels, Sean (31 August 2011). Damon Albarn and DRC Music announce new Congo album for Oxfam | Music | guardian.co.uk. The Guardian. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- Machino Machino, the Kwes produced debut single from Dog Bite. Fuckyeahyoungturks.tumblr.com, Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- Saxelby, Ruth (28 October 2010). Elan Tamara interview: "Go with your gut instinct." | Dummy » Features. Ddummymag.com. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- Hokley-Smith, Sam (10 June 2010). Stream: Kwes, "No Need to Run" « The FADER. The FADER. Retrieved 15 June 2010.
- Young Turks Records (28 June 2010).Young Turks — YT045: Kwes – No Need To Run. Young Turks. Retrieved 15 June 2010.
- "Kwes. Returns with Songs For Midi – XLR8R". 2 March 2018. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- Warp (13 November 2011). Warp / Records / Kwes / Signs to Warp, download free MP3 of new track 'Get Up. Warp. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Dombal, Ryan (7 March 2012). Rising: Kwes | Features | Pitchfork. Pitchfork. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- Warp (26 November 2012). Warp / Kwes / Warp / Kwes 'Rollerblades' available to download now, 7-inch out in January. Warp. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Mercury Music Prize Recommends (November 2011). Recommends. Mercury Music Prize Recommends. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- "ClintClinty" (9 July 2006). Ebony Bones @ Anti-Social (Bar Music Hall) PT 2 – YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved 15 June 2010.
- Cafun, Evian (14 April 2007). Kwes,Forty Fives,EvIaNnAivE,BONO MUST DIE@ULU Video by Evian Cafun – MySpace Video. MySpace. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- mytaratata (18 May 2009).video Emission 318 2/4 – Jack PENATE – 318, jack penate – videos MYTARATATA.COM. MYTARATATA.COM Retrieved on 15 June 2010.
- Mottley, Elan Tamara (June 2009). Elan Tamara – Organ EP – Out 6 June 2011. Elan Tamara. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- Williams, Scott (13 May 2010). Leftfield interview – Neil Barnes talks festivals. eFestivals. Retrieved 18 November 2011.