Kurt Walter Tong is an American diplomat and the Consul General of the United States of America to Hong Kong and Macau. He previously was Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Department of State's Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs and replaced Clifford Hart in August 2016. He arrived in Hong Kong on August 27, 2016 to assume his position as the Consul General.
|United States Consul General to Hong Kong and Macau|
|Assumed office |
August 27, 2016
|Preceded by||Clifford Hart|
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
Tong was the Senate-confirmed U.S. Ambassador for Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) when the United States hosted the forum in 2011. He was the Deputy Chief of Mission for the United States in Japan from 2011 to 2014. Earlier, he was Director for Korean Affairs at the U.S. Department of State, and Director for Asian Economic Affairs at the White House, and participated in the Six Party Talks with North Korea. He also worked at the U.S. embassies in Seoul, Beijing, Tokyo and Manila.
Tong was born in Ohio and raised in Massachusetts. He obtained his B.A. from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs of Princeton University, and has also studied at the Beijing Institute of Education, Inter-University Program for Chinese Language Study in Taipei, Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies in Tokyo, and International Christian University in Tokyo. He is fluent in Mandarin and Japanese.
- "PN60 — Kurt Walter Tong — Department of State". U.S. Congress. 14 April 2011. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- "Consul General Kurt W. Tong". U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- Lau, Stuart (10 June 2016). "US appoints next consul general to Hong Kong". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "U.S. Consul General Kurt Tong Arrives in Hong Kong". U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "APEC USA 2011 Biographies".
- "Deputy Chiefs of Mission, U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Japan".
- "CCTV International - DPRK pledges to speed up nuclear disarmament in exchange for oil aid".
- "Consul General Kurt W. Tong - U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau".
| United States Consul General to Hong Kong and Macau
|This American diplomat-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|