Kurios (Cirque du Soleil)
Kurios is a Cirque du Soleil touring production which premiered on April 24, 2014 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada under the full title of Kurios: Cabinet of Curiosities. Created and directed by Michel Laprise, it looks at a late 19th-century world inventor who invents a machine that defies the laws of time, space, and dimension in order to reinvent everything around him with steampunk elements featuring characters from another dimension that interact with him and a tribute to the power of the human imagination.
Logo for Cirque du Soleil's Kurios: Cabinet of Curiosities
|Show type||Touring show|
|Date of premiere||April 24, 2014 (Montreal)|
|Director of creation||Chantal Tremblay|
|Set designer||Stéphane Roy|
|Composers||Raphaël Beau, Bob & Bill (Guy Dubuc and Marc Lessard)|
|Costume designer||Philippe Guillotel|
|Lighting designer||Martin Labrecque|
|Choreographers||Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui|
|Acrobatic choreographers||Andrea Ziegler|
|Sound designer||Jacques Boucher|
|Makeup designer||Eleni Uranis|
|Acrobatic performance designers||Rob Bollinger|
|Rigging designer||Danny Zen|
|Production manager||Gabriel Pinkstone|
|Chief production officer and executive producer||Charles Joron|
|Creative guide||Jean-François Bouchard|
|Preceded by||Michael Jackson: One (2013)|
|Succeeded by||Joyà (2014)|
The score was created by Raphaël Beau in collaboration with Guy Dubuc and Marc Lessard (known as Bob and Bill), fusing jazz with electro swing.
The soundtrack was released on December 9, 2014. A CD launch called "Kurios about Music" happened at the December 10, 2014 show, which included an off-stage performance by the Kurios band, as well as an after-show party.
- 11h11 (Opening)
- Steampunk Telegram (Aerial Bike)
- Bella Donna Twist (Chaos Synchro 1900)
- Gravity Levitas (Russian Cradle)
- Monde inversé (Upside Down World)
- Hypnotique (Contortion)
- Departure (Theater of hands/Transition into Rola Bola)
- Fearsome Flight (Rola Bola)
- Clouds (Acro Net)
- Créature de siam (Aerial Straps Duo)
- Wat U No Wen (Banquine)
- You Must be Joking (Finale)
- Eirini Tornesaki - From April 24, 2014 to March 19, 2017
- Sophie Guay - From March 19, 2017 to Present
The Toronto Star praised the show and critic Richard Ouzounian said "Kurios is Cirque du Soleil's strongest act in years." The Gazette also declared Kurios a success, saying "Kurios is a classic. It runs like clockwork and could tick on forever." The Globe and Mail described the show as a "Kinetic, whimsical and astounding new production from Montreal’s Cirque du Soleil."
Upon the show's debut in San Francisco the San Francisco Chronicle called Kurios "the best Cirque du Soleil show in a long time." The San Jose Mercury News wrote "For its 30th anniversary, Cirque du Soleil has concocted a dark and mysterious world that eschews the brightly colored eye candy for which the French Canadian juggernaut has become famous."
Chris Jones of the Chicago Tribune wrote "Well, the Cirque has come roaring back with a dazzling, hyper-detailed, potent, quixotic and generally fantastic show that reveals this extraordinary artistic company's singular capacity for exploration and metamorphosis. It is not to be missed on any account. Even the music, sung by the Greek vocalist Eirini Tornesaki, is beguiling."
- "Kurios - Press Materials". Kurios. Cirque du Soleil. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Donnelly, Pat (April 18, 2014). "Cirque du Soleil piques our curiosity with Kurios". The Gazette.
- "Kurios - About". Kurios. Cirque du Soleil. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Facebook". November 23, 2014.
- "Facebook". December 6, 2014.
- "Facebook". March 12, 2017.
- Ouzounian, Richard (May 2, 2014). "Kurios is Cirque du Soleil's strongest act in years: review". Toronto Star.
- Donnelly, Pat (May 2, 2014). "Review: Cirque du Soleil's Kurios reveals a world of wonder". The Gazette.
- Wheeler, Brad (September 1, 2014). "Cirque du Soleil's Kurios: Send your sense of wonder into overdrive". The Globe and Mail.
- Hurwitt, Robert (November 15, 2014). "Theater review: 'Kurios': Best Cirque du Soleil show in a long time". San Francisco Chronicle.
- D'Souza, Karen (November 15, 2014). "Review: Cirque du Soleil's new 'Kurios' unveils a wild, darker world". San Jose Mercury.
- Jones, Chris (August 7, 2015). "With 'Kurios,' Cirque is back with 4-star dazzle". Chicago Tribune.