Kurian Joseph (born 30 November 1953) is a former judge of the Supreme Court of India.
|Judge of the Supreme Court of India|
8 March 2013 – 29 November 2018
|Appointed by||Pranab Mukherjee|
|Chief Justice, Himachal Pradesh High Court|
8 February 2010 – 7 March 2013
|Appointed by||Pratibha Patil|
|Preceded by||Jagadish Bhalla|
|Succeeded by||R. B. Misra|
|Judge Kerala High Court|
12 July 2000 – 7 February 2010
|Born||30 November 1953|
|Alma mater||Mahatma Gandhi University|
University of Kerala
Kurien Joseph was born on 30 November 1953. He was educated at St. Joseph's U.P. School, Chengal, Kalady, St. Sebastian's High School, Kanjoor. For higher education, he attendedBharata Mata College, Thrikkakara and Sree Sankara College, both affiliated colleges of Mahatma Gandhi University, and Kerala Law Academy, University of Kerala in Trivandrum.
Joseph began his legal career in 1979. He was member of the Academic Council, Kerala University from 1977 to 1978, General Secretary of Kerala University Union in 1978, Senate member of Cochin University from 1983 to 1985, member of the Board of Studies, Indian Legal Thought of Mahatma Gandhi University in 1996, President, Kerala Judicial Academy from 2006 to 2008, Chairman of Kerala High Court Legal Services Committee from 2006 to 2009 and Chairman of Lakshadweep Legal Services Authority in 2008. He served as Government Pleader in 1987 and as Additional Advocate General from 1994 to 1996. He was designated as Senior Advocate in 1996. Joseph has also been Chairman of the Indian Law Institute Kerala Branch, Chairman of Indian Law Reports (Kerala Series) and Executive Member of NUALS (National University of Advanced Legal Studies).
In 2000, Joseph was appointed as a judge of the Kerala High Court. In February 2010, he was elevated as Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court. On 8 March 2013, he became a judge of Supreme Court of India.
Joseph believes that people have high expectations of the judiciary and that it should play a pro-active role to meet their aspirations.
On August 22, 2017 Justice Joseph gave a verdict against the controversial Triple Talaq. In his judgement he said
"I find it extremely difficult to agree with the learned Chief Justice that the practice of triple talaq has to be considered integral to the religious denomination in question and that the same is part of their personal law...." 
The bench of Justice R. M. Lodha, Justice Madan Lokur and Justice Joseph is hearing the controversial Coal Allocation Scam case and vowed to free the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) from any political and bureaucratic interference. A bench of Chief Justice Lodha, Kurian Joseph and R. F. Nariman overruled the Afsal Guru decision on the point of admissibility of electronic evidence.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 February 2013. Retrieved 26 March 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 26 March 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "New Supreme Court judge to be sworn in on March 8". 8 March 2013 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "SC to get two more judges CJ of Andhra Pradesh & Himachal Pradesh". 23 February 2013.
- NETWORK, LIVELAW NEWS (22 August 2017). "This Is What Supreme Court Said In Triple Talaq Judgment [Read Judgment]". www.livelaw.in.
- Manorama News, ശബരിമല വിധി ബെഞ്ചിൽ നിന്ന് കുര്യൻ ജോസഫ് ഒഴിവാക്കപ്പെട്ടോ? | Justice Kurian Joseph | Nere chovve, retrieved 19 December 2018
- Rajagopal, Krishnadas (22 September 2014). "e-evidence needs authentication: SC" – via www.thehindu.com.