Kozo Uno (宇野 弘蔵 Uno Kōzō, November 12, 1897 – February 22, 1977) was a Japanese economist and is considered one of the most important theorists on the field of Marx's theory of value. His main work Principles of Political Economy was published in 1964. Among his scholars are Thomas T. Sekine and Makoto Itoh.
Kozo Uno, 1952
|Died||February 22, 1977 (aged 79)|
- The "pure" theory of Capital, freed from the complications of history – highly abstract exercises in dialectical logic on the basic, core dynamics of capitalist economy.
- A "middle" level, which traces the general development of capitalism through distinct historical stages – mercantilism, classical liberalism and so on.
- The analysis of the 'messy' details of capitalist economy in the real world, concentrating on particular narratives rather than an overall picture.
Uno and his followers have come in for criticism from the wider Marxist tradition for insisting on this separation. Simon Clarke sees this schema as "scholastic formalism", and the second level as an arbitrary addition to provide a link between the other two, rather than an analytically necessary one. As Kincaid points out, though, Capital is primarily a logically rather than chronologically argued work, which looks at the laws of capitalist development and draws mainly supporting evidence from historical data. Thus, the separation of the Uno school represents an acknowledgement of this logical nature, and registers the key problem of how the critique can be linked to actual economic development in a way that competing schools often cannot.
- Uno, Kozo: Principles of Political Economy. Theory of a Purely Capitalist Society. Translated from the Japanese by Thomas T. Sekine. Brighton, Atlantic Highlands/New Jersey 1980.
- Uno, Kozo: The Types of Economic Policies under Capitalism. Translated from the Japanese by Thomas T. Sekine and edited by John R.Bell. Leiden :Brill 2016.
- Joe, Hyeon-soo: Politische Ökonomie als Gesellschaftstheorie. Studien zur Marx-Rezeption von Isaak Iljitsch Rubin und Kozo Uno [German], Diss. Philipps-Universität Marburg 1995.
- Clarke, Simon: The Basic Theory of Capitalism: A Critique of Itoh and the Uno School in: Capital and Class 37.
- Foster, John Bellamy: Marxism and the Uno School. The Basic Theory of Capitalism: The Forms and Substance of the Capitalist Economy by Makoto Itoh.
- Kincaid, Jim: Finance, Trust and the Power of Capital, in: Historical Materialism, vol. 14.1 (Brill, 2006).
- Kubota, Ken: Die dialektische Darstellung des allgemeinen Begriffs des Kapitals im Lichte der Philosophie Hegels. Zur logischen Analyse der politischen Ökonomie unter besonderer Berücksichtigung Adornos und der Forschungsergebnisse von Rubin, Backhaus, Reichelt, Uno und Sekine (PDF), in: Beiträge zur Marx-Engels-Forschung. Neue Folge 2009, pp. 199–224. doi:10.4444/100.100.de.
- Pozo, Luis M.: Dialectics and Deconstruction in Political Economy.
- Saraka, Sean: Review of Albritton's „Dialectics and Deconstruction in Political Economy“.
- Simoulidis, John: Levels of Analysis and the Concept of Interest: an Unoist Approach (PDF).
- Kincaid, 2006
- Clarke, 1989; Kincaid 2006
- Verified, continuously updated selected bibliography with links and materials. (Broken link. See partial fix for same link at end of page for Isaak Rubin. Also check for other pages re value form school likely to need same fix)