Korsør is a town on Zealand, Denmark. It is located in Slagelse Municipality. Until 2007 Korsør was the seat of Korsør Municipality. The town is located 15 km west of Slagelse, 12 km north-west of Skælskør and connects to Nyborg through the Great Belt Bridge.
|• Urban||6.67 km2 (2.58 sq mi)|
|• Urban density||2,200/km2 (5,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Calling code||(+45) 58|
Formerly the main ferry port from Zealand to Funen, the town of Korsør is divided into two halves by the Korsør Nor inlet, with the northern part named Halsskov. Most of the historical southern part of Korsør (Korsør proper) is low-lying and prone to flooding.
Korsør Mini Town (Danish: Korsør Miniby) is a miniature model of the town of Korsør as it looked in 1875. It is built in 1:10 scale and has existed since 2001.
Taarnborg is a manor located in Halsskov in Korsør. Taarnborg was originally a village, in which a castle was built in the 1100s. It was referred to as Korsør Castle and later came under the name of Dyrehovedgaard. It was renamed to Taarnborg in 1846. The manor owns 334 acres.
Korsør Fortification (Danish: Korsør Fæstning) is a set of fortifications located centrally in Korsør. It was built in the 1100s. Today there are five buildings on the fortifications, though all are built at different times and only the tower originates from the castle that used to be located on the fortification. The tower is from the 1200s.
Korsør City and Strait Crossing Museum (Danish: Korsør By og Overfartsmuseum) is a museum located in Korsør. The museum was founded in 1983, and is focussed on the strait crossing from Korsør to Nyborg. The museum is located in a building on Korsør Fortification.
Public thought and politicsEdit
- Hedevig Johanne Bagger (1740–1822), inn-keeper and postmaster
- Aage Friis (1870–1949), historian
- Hans A. Hansen (1877–1949), sailor for the United States Navy
- Hedda Lundh (1921–2012), resistance fighter during the German occupation of Denmark in World War II
- Lis Tribler (born 1952), politician and former mayor
- John Dyrby Paulsen (born 1963), politician and mayor of the municipality
- Pia Adelsteen (born 1963), politician and member of parliament
- Morten Storm (born 1976), former PET agent
- Jens Baggesen (1764–1826), poet
- Aage Giødesen (1863–1939), painter
- Urban Gad (1879–1947), film director
- Pia Juul (born 1962), poet and translator
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Korsör .|
- Slagelse municipality website (In Danish)
- BY3: Population 1 January, by urban areas The Mobile Statbank from Statistics Denmark
- "Guinness". Korsør Biograf Teater (in Danish). Retrieved 31 August 2020.
- Korsørminiby.dk "Korsør Miniby" Retrieved 23 August 2020
- Danskeherregaarde.dk "Taarnborg" Retrieved 23 August 2020
- Minkultur.slagelse.dk "Korsør Fæstning" Retrieved 23 August 2020
- Byogoverfartsmuseet.dk "Historie" Retrieved 23 August 2020