Korina María B. Sanchez-Roxas (born October 5, 1964), known professionally as Korina Sanchez, is a Filipino broadcast journalist, television news anchor, senior field correspondent, magazine show host, radio anchor and newspaper columnist. She is currently Chief Correspondent for the Integrated News and Current Affairs Division of ABS-CBN ABS-CBN Corporation airing on TV Channel 2, AM Radio DZMM and cable TV ABS-CBN News Channel. She also has a regular column in The Philippine Star entitled That Does It, as well as a Tagalog column entitled K Ka Lang in its sister newspaper, Pilipino Star Ngayon. She is the wife of Mar Roxas, the former Secretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government.
Korina Sanchez in Bandila
Korina María Baluyut Sánchez
5 October 1964
|Other names||Korina, Koring, K|
Mar Roxas (m. 2009)
In 2013, Sanchez drew flak among netizens due to her remarks on her now-defunct DZMM radio show Rated Korina on Anderson Cooper's reporting for Tacloban. She claimed that the journalist did not know what he was talking about. CNN news anchor Anderson Cooper was one of the first international correspondents on the ground in Tacloban to report on the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan. Cooper responded to Sanchez by urging her to visit the area and insisted that his coverage was accurate.
On December 3, 2014 newscast of ABS-CBN's TV Patrol, Sanchez said she hoped Typhoon Ruby (international name for Typhoon Hagupit) would hit Japan instead of the Philippines: "Can’t they just get all of it?"
Six weeks after this incident, Sanchez was removed from her radio show.
Presidential campaign 2016Edit
To gain support from the LGBT community for the 2016 presidential elections, Sánchez organized #KERIBEKS: The First National Gay Congress of The Philippines, which was a star studded concert held at the Araneta Coliseum (owned by the family of Mar Roxas) which featured job fairs but did not deal with LGBT issues nor did Mar Roxas vocalize support for the LGBT.
Awards, honors and recognitionEdit
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
30th PMPC Star Awards for Television
- Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC) Awards
Outstanding Radio Anchor – Korina Sanchez
Asian TV Awards
- Best Current Affairs Presenter Category: Highly Commended, Korina Sanchez, Rated K (Episode: "Kwento ng Buhay Ko")
Media Newser Philippines’ Media Winner of 2012
- "TOP LIST: Stars turning 50 in 2014". Philippine Entertainment Portal. January 16, 2014. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Diola, Camille (January 6, 2014). "Korina temporarily leaves radio show". Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Rosal, Malou E (September 29, 2007). "Icon with a K". The Philippine Star. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Manahan, Millie (June 28, 2016). "LOOK: Korina Sanchez Finishes Her Master's Degree in Divination (IMAGES)". WheninManila.com. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- "Korina, proud na proud na naka-graduate". ABS-CBN. Retrieved July 3, 2016.
- De Jesus, Julliane Love (November 15, 2013). "Anderson Cooper to Korina Sanchez: Go to Tacloban". Inquirer.net. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- "Anderson to Korina: Come to Tacloban, see for yourself". The Philippine Star. November 16, 2013. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- Macaraig, Ayee (November 13, 2013). "Cooper responds to Korina, PNoy; praises Filipino strength". Rappler. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- Umbao, Ed (November 13, 2013). "Korina Sanchez Reacted on Anderson Cooper's CNN Report". Manila: Philnews.ph. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- Romero, Alexis (November 15, 2013). "CNN's Anderson Cooper tells Korina: Go to Tacloban". Philstar.com. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- Cabacungan, Gil (November 16, 2013). "Anderson Cooper-Korina Sanchez tiff goes viral on the Internet". Inquirer.net. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- Gutierrez, Natashya (December 7, 2013). "Korina angers netizens over Typhoon Ruby comments". Rappler. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- Umbao, Ed (January 4, 2014). "Korina Sanchez Resigned & Vacates Her Radio Show on DZMM". Manila: Philnews.ph. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- "Mar-Korina wedding 'locked and loaded'". ABS-CBNNews.com. October 27, 2009. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- Sison, Shakira (August 6, 2015). "#KeriBeks: Where gays are the latest political pawns". Rappler. Retrieved July 4, 2016.
- Rappler. Missing or empty
- "LIST: Winners, PMPC Star Awards 2016 – music". Rappler. Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- "ABS-CBN, DZMM are VACC's Best TV/Radio Stations". The Philippine Star. August 12, 2013. Retrieved April 25, 2015.
- "Pinoy nominees in 2013 Asian Television Awards". Rappler.com. November 14, 2013. Retrieved April 25, 2015.
- Lu, Monet (January 25, 2013). "Yong Chavez: A woman of passion and dedication". Asian Journal. Retrieved April 29, 2015.
- Camposano, Jerni May H. (February 15, 2009). "What's next for Korina?". The Philippine Star. Retrieved April 24, 2015.