Koch Media GmbH is a German media enterprise started in February 1994 by Franz Koch and Klemens Kundratitz. Koch Media is headquartered in Planegg, Bavaria, Germany. Koch Media was acquired by THQ Nordic on February 14, 2018.
|Industry||Video game industry|
|Founded||February 28, 1994|
|Parent||THQ Nordic (2018-present)|
The Koch Media group produces, markets and distributes digital entertainment products and accessories in Europe and North America. Its business areas include distribution of media products, including movies, software products and video games publishing under the Deep Silver label.
Koch Media has subsidiaries in Austria, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Koch Media was founded in 1994 by Franz Koch and Klemens Kundratitz as a software publishing company. Koch Media formed regional subsidiaries Koch Media Austria, and of Koch Media Ltd. in England. In 1995, Koch Media sells its first application software which sells more than 250,000 copies, and in 1996, the company entered into the video games market. In 1998, another regional subsidiary was created through the formation of Koch Media AG in Switzerland, and in 2000, Koch Media Holdings was formed in order to unite all business areas. Koch Media srl was formed as a regional subsidiary in Italy. During this year, Koch Media launches the first game that sells more than 1 million units in the United Kingdom, and incorporates its video game publishing label, Deep Silver.
In 2003, Koch Media expands their business by entering into the field movie industry, and in 2004, the groups turnover surpasses 100 million Euros for the first time. In 2005, Koch Media acquires French company SG Diffusion, and on 1 January, 2006, re-brands it as Koch Media SAS as the French regional subsidiary in Paris. During this year, the groups turnover surpasses 200 million Euros for the first time, and the company forms a division called Koch Media Licensing GmbH to focus on retail and marketing of movie licenses, as well as distribution in the TV market. Koch Media is appointed as Nintendos preferred distribution partner in the United Kingdom. In 2007, Koch Media brings a movie to German cinemas for the first time, and to date, 1 million copies of the successful series The King of Queens have been sold on DVD and Blu-ray in German-speaking territories.
In 2008, Koch Media launches Deep Silver, Inc., the North American subsidiary for the publishing label. In July, Koch Media takes over the Spanish distribution company PROEIN S.L., and in 2009, it was re-branded under the name of Koch Media S.L.U. Koch Media incorporates branches in Scandinavia and Benelux, and the groups turnover surpasses 300 million Euros for the first time. The company pursues the motion picture business in Italy. In 2010, Koch Media distributes F1 2010 and heads the weekly charts in France, Italy, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, and in 2011, Koch Media pursues the motion picture business in the United Kingdom. Under its publishing label Deep Silver, Koch Media scores its first number 1 hit with the game ‘’Dead Island’’. In 2013, Koch Media purchases Saints Row developer Volition, as part of the acquisition, the company has the publishing rights to the ‘’Metro’’ franchise which will be distributed under the Deep Silver label. In 2014, Koch Media acquires Homefront intellectual property from Crytek.
On 14 February 2018, THQ Nordic announced the acquisition of Koch Media for 121 million EUR. Koch Media continues to operate as its own, separate subsidiary of THQ Nordic, and there are no plans to restructure following the acquisition, nor any cost saving measures on the horizon.
In 2013, Deep Silver attracted strong criticism for marketing the game Dead Island: Riptide with a statuette of a mutilated female torso, and for continuing to sell the statuette after initially apologizing for it.
- "German Trade Association of Interactive Entertainment Software (BIU) - official website". Archived from the original on 2012-04-25. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Contact." Koch Media. Retrieved on September 13, 2016. "Headquarter Koch Media GmbH Lochhamer Str. 9 82152 Planegg Deutschland"
- "." THQ Nordic. Retrieved on February 14, 2018. "THQ Nordic acquires Koch Media GmbH"
- "Offices - Company - Koch Media GmbH - leading, independent producer and marketer of digital entertainment products". Kochmedia.com. Archived from the original on 2014-07-02. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Koch Media Company page - History Section". Archived from the original on 2011-11-02. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "MCV UK Dead Island". Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- Goldfarb, Andrew. "THQ Dissolved, Saints Row, Company of Heroes Devs Acquired". IGN.
- "Deep Silver About Company page". Archived from the original on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- Corriea, Alexa Ray (23 April 2013). "Dead Island: Riptide edition with severed torso statue still available in Europe, Australia". Polygon. Retrieved 27 April 2013.