Kobra and the Lotus
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kobra and the Lotus
Kobra and the Lotus for Prevail I
|Also known as||KATL|
|Origin||Calgary, Alberta, Canada|
|Genres||Heavy metal, hard rock, thrash metal (early)|
Lord Marcus Lee
The band has maintained considerable success within their genre from the time of its formation, with critics stating that the double album, Prevail I and Prevail II is the band's best work to date. Various aspects of the double album earned recognition. "Light Me Up", a single from the album, broke into the Top 40 for mainstream rock on Billboard, peaking at #34 and also broke Top 40 on Mediabase active rock charts for several weeks. "You Don't Know" peaked at #53, with the music video being the band's first YouTube video with over 1 million plays. "TriggerPulse", a pre-release single to the album is the band's first Spotify release, with over three million plays in its first year. "Let Me Love You" was recorded in English, Japanese, and acoustic versions in the double album set. The official "Let Me Love You" video was released in Japanese. Prevail II was nominated for a Juno Award for Metal/Hard Album of the Year 2019. 
The band recorded a double album after a successful pledge campaign with producer Jacob Hansen in Denmark. The new double album was picked up by Napalm Records with Managing Director Thomas Caser stating that Kobra and the Lotus was "one of the most exciting new bands in this (hard rock) genre". Prevail I and Prevail II will be released separately, Part I released in 2017. The first single from Prevail I 'TriggerPulse' was released early to coincide with a fall European tour with Delain and Evergrey and became the first song by Kobra and the Lotus to gain over 2 million plays on Spotify. The back story for how "TriggerPulse" was written is on the main band website blog. The second single from Prevail I 'Gotham' was released on February 17, 2017 with exclusive premiers streaming via Metal Hammer  and Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles. The third prerelease from Prevail I is "You Don't Know" Napalm Records  released on March 31, 2017. Light Me Up reached #38 on the active rock charts in the USA in December 2017.
After an extensive tour schedule that summer Kobra Paige was diagnosed with Lyme disease and took an eight-month break from touring to regain her health. To regain their momentum Kobra Paige reunited her band with Johnny K, to do a tribute to the Canadian classic rock legends they grew up on. Words of the Prophets was released globally on August 28, 2015. The EP contains heavier covers from Alannah Myles, Triumph (band), Bachman-Turner Overdrive, April Wine, and Rush (band). The EP closes out with a cover of Rush (band) massive hit, The Spirit of Radio. Kobra Paige says it was the most challenging of the songs on the album due to the 9 time signature changes. The reggae-infused breakdown leading into the song’s final minute was pumped up to give it more swagger. The band toured the new EP in Europe with Kamelot and Gus G in the fall of 2015.Subsequently, Kobra Paige became a guest singer with Kamelot for their Haven tour in North America and parts of Europe.
The band recorded 14 new tracks for their new album High Priestess  with super producer Johnny K, a Grammy Award nominated producer/engineer/mixer/musician and songwriter at Groovemaster Recording Studios in Chicago. Charlie Parra del Riego joined as special guest guitarist for the recording. High Priestess entered the CMJ Loud Rock Radio charts in the USA at #4, it was released globally on June 24, 2014. to strong reviews worldwide. The band toured the new album in North America with KISS and Def Leppard in the summer of 2014. During the same recording session the band recorded "Zombie", a single featuring guest guitarist Charlie Parra del Riego that was later released on Halloween day (October 31, 2015). B-side is "Remember Me". There are two versions of "Remember Me" on the Kobra and the Lotus YouTube channel, one with an additional prechorus section. Digital and vinyl release only.
The self-titled album was globally released in August 2012 in the UK and Europe by Spinefarm Records and in 138 other countries by Universal Music Group affiliates. It was then released in the USA and Canada in April 2013 with Universal Music Enterprises UMe and T-Boy Records. The album rated as 7/8 POWERPOINTS by PowerPlay (music magazine) in issue #145, rated as KKKK by Kerrang, and 8/10 by Metal Hammer.
The band recorded their second album self-titled Kobra and the Lotus February to April 2011, with producer Julius Butty then headed to Europe for a UK summer tour. While touring, the band's manager Susan Bullen had been in touch with several labels regarding the second album and reached out to Mark Spicoluk at Universal Music Group and played some preliminary tracks from the new album. Universal Canada thought the album needed an anthem and encouraged the band to write four new tracks and go back into the studio January and February 2012 with fellow Canadian Kevin Churko to record the new tracks and remix and remaster the entire album. The songs 50 Shades of Evil and Forever One were two of the new tracks written.
An extensive 2010 Canadian tour had a profound effect on the vocals of lead singer Kobra Paige. The vocal evolution is very distinct between the songs and videos for "Cynical Wasteland from the first album and "Welcome to my Funeral" from the self-titled album under the Universal label.==2009== Kobra and the Lotus was formed by classical singer Kobra Paige.The band started recording their first songs in Calgary, initially produced by Greg Godovitz (Goddo). Kobra and the Lotus put the initial studio tracks on MySpace in summer 2009 and were discovered by Metal Hammer and approached to include Kobra Paige in the 2010 Metal Hammer Maidens of Metal Calendar with Simone Simons, Epica and Cristina Scabbia, Lacuna Coil.
The band recorded the first album Out of the Pit in Calgary in early 2009. During the mixing of the album at Metalworks Studios in Toronto, Greg invited long time friend Rik Emmett to record a guitar solo to the only cover song on the album, a remake of Motörhead anthem Ace of Spades. After playing their first 2009 Canadian tour, Paige's vocal style had changed significantly and the band approached Kevin Shirley to rerecord the vocals and remix the album. The remix was so different that many industry writers thought the band had brought in a new lead singer. Producer Nick Blagona (Deep Purple) rerecorded the vocals and remixed the last track of the album "Legend". Kobra and the Lotus independently released their debut album Out of the Pit in March 2010. The album was a popular release on campus radio charts across Canada and several US internet Metal radio stations.
Kobra and the Lotus have played Sonisphere Festival, Download Festival, Rock am Ring and Rock im Park, Hard Rock Hell, Nova Rock Festival, Metaltown Festival, Hellfest, Graspop Metal Meeting, Gods of Metal, Wacken Open Air, Bloodstock Open Air and Metal Female Voices Fest. Kobra and the Lotus have toured with Beyond the Black, Xandria, Delain, Kamelot, KISS,Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Black Label Society, Max Cavalera, Slash, Gus G, Steel Panther, Buckcherry, Amaranthe, Fear Factory, Primal Fear, Stratovarius, Praying Mantis, Demon Hunter, Amanda Somerville, Hate Eternal and Sonata Arctica. Kobra Paige toured as a guest vocalist with the Metal All-Stars super-group with Zack Wylde, James LaBrie, David Ellefson and others. Kobra Paige also was a guest vocalist for Kamelot on their North American Haven tour.
- Kobra Paige - vocals, piano (2009–present)
- Jasio Kulakowski - lead/rhythm guitar (2012–present)
- Ronny Gutierrez - lead/rhythm guitar (2018–present)
- Brad Kennedy - bass guitar (2013–present)
- Lord Marcus Lee - drums (2014–present)
- Lord Griffin Kissack – drums (2009–2014)
- Ben Freud - Bass (2009-2010)
- Matt Van Wezel - lead guitar (2009-2010)
- Chris Swenson - rhythm guitar, (2009-2012)
- Pete Z Dimov - bass guitar (2011 - 2013)
- Timothy Vega - lead/rhythm guitar (2011-2012)
Tour and Studio Guest Musicians
Awards and nominationsEdit
- "Prevail II", Nominated for a Juno Award for Metal/Hard Album of the Year 2019. 
- "High Priestess", Kobra and the Lotus third album listed as #5 Best Album, 2014 Mid Year Recap by Metal Assault 
- Kobra and the Lotus named as #3 Best Emerging Hard Rock & Heavy Metal Artists Of 2013 
- Kobra Paige listed as one of the Top 25 Women in Hard Rock and Metal for 2013 
- Kobra and the Lotus nominated for Best New Band at Golden Gods 2012 by Metal Hammer 
- Out of the Pit (2010)
- Kobra and the Lotus (2012)
- High Priestess (2014)
- Prevail I (2017)
- Prevail II (2018)
- "Here Comes Silverbells!!" (Kobra Music Inc., 2009)
- "Zombie" (Kobra Music Inc., 2015)
- "Remember Me" (Kobra Music Inc., 2015)
- "TriggerPulse"  (Napalm Records, 2016)
- "Gotham"  (Napalm Records, 2017)
- "You Don't Know"  (Napalm Records, 2017)
- "Light Me Up"  (Napalm Records, 2017) reached no. 34 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Chart.
- "Losing My Humanity" (Napalm Records, 2018)
- Bowar, Chad. "Kobra and the Lotus - High Priestess Review". Heavymetal.about.com. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 15, 2014. Retrieved July 15, 2014.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Reviews - KOBRA AND THE LOTUS 'High Priestess'". Knac.Com. June 18, 2014. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "North America Is Biased Against Female Fronted Metal Bands". Metalhammer.co.uk. August 27, 2010. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Kobra And The Lotus' Self Titled Album To Receive U.S. Release In April". Blabbermouth.net. March 28, 2013. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "Chart History". Retrieved June 3, 2017.
- "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS' 'LET ME LOVE YOU' SOUNDS AWESOME EVEN IN JAPANESE". Retrieved April 3, 2018.
- "METAL/HARD MUSIC ALBUM OF THE YEAR 2019". Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS RECORDING NEW ALBUM; VIDEO UPDATES FROM THE STUDIO POSTED". Retrieved December 14, 2018.
- "'PREVAIL' - New Double Album". pledgemusic.com. January 15, 2016.
- "Signing to Napalm Records: One Moment, One Story". kobraandthelotus.com. September 11, 2016.
- "Kobra and the Lotus Announce Signing and New Album". decibelgeek.com. August 25, 2016.
- revolvermag.com (September 9, 2016). "Kobra And The Lotus Premiere New Song, "TriggerPulse"". revolvermag.com.
- kobraandthelotus.com. "TriggerPulse: One Song, One Story". kobraandthelotus.com.
- Kobra And The Lotus: Exklusive Song-Premiere ‘Gotham’ (February 17, 2017). "Kobra And The Lotus: Exklusive Song-Premiere 'Gotham'". Metal-hammer.de. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- bravewords.com. "Exclusive: KOBRA AND THE LOTUS Streaming "Gotham" Single". Bravewords.com. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- "Kobra And The Lotus reveals new song You Don't Know". demonszone.com. March 28, 2017.
- "New Single "You Don't Know" Streaming From Kobra And The Lotus". metalunderground.com. March 23, 2017. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- "You Don't Know: One Song, One Story". kobraandthelotus.com. March 31, 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 18, 2015. Retrieved August 29, 2015.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Kobra And The Lotus Covers Rush, Triumph, April Wine On 'Words Of The Prophets' Ep". Blabbermouth.net. June 8, 2015. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Alannah Myles: One Moment, One Song". Kobraandhtelotus.com.
- "RUSH "The Spirit of Radio": One Song, One Story". Kobra and the Lotus.
- "CD Review: KOBRA AND THE LOTUS - Words of the Prophets". Metalholic. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Kobra and the Lotus pay tribute to the Spirit of Radio". Metal Insider. August 10, 2015. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Kobra and the Lotus, 'High Priestess' - Album Review". Musicenthusiastmag.com. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Kobra and the Lotus - Release new album 'High Priestess' !!!". Music Trespass. September 29, 2014. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- Rich Lindley (July 7, 2014). "Kobra and the Lotus - High Priestess". PlanetMosh. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- Kobra Paige. "Touring with Def Leppard: One Moment, One Story". Kobra and the Lotus.
- "Zombie: One Song, One Story". kobraandthelotus.com. October 25, 2016.
- "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS - NEW SINGLE "ZOMBIE" AVAILABLE VIA ITUNES". Bravewords.com. Retrieved November 1, 2015.
- "Issue 145 - Powerplay Rock and Metal Magazine". Powerplaymagazine.co.uk. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS Kick Off UK Tour from Ibiza's Hard Rock Hell Festival". Bravewords.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "50 Shades of Evil: One Song, One Story". kobraandthelotus.com.
- Kobra Paige. "Welcome To My Funeral: One Song, One Story". kobraandthelotus.com.
- "Kobra And The Lotus – Out Of The Pit (Song by Song)". Metalstorm.net. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Calgary's Kobra in Session at Metalworks studios". Metalworksinstitute.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Ace of Spades: One Song, One Story". kobraandthelotus.com. November 2, 2016. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Carl Begai Kobra and the Lotus Interview". Carlbegai.com. March 30, 2010. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS – How To Build An Iron Maiden". Bravewords.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Earshot "Out of the Pit" review and update". Earshot-online.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "CD Review "Beauty and the Beast"". Getreadytorock.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "CFBX 92.5 Charts". Earshot-online.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "CKXU charts". Earshot-online.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "CJSR 88.5 Charts". Earshot-online.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "New Kobra and the Lotus video Snake Pit on Hard Rock Hideout". Hardrockhideout.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Guest Kobra Paige from Kobra and the Lotus show No. 174". Maximumthreshold.net. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- [dead link]
- "Kobra and the Lotus Performance Footage of New Song Warhorse". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Def Leppard News - Kobra And The Lotus Album Release/Lyric Video". Deflepparduk.com. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Judas Priest: One Moment One Story". kobraandthelotus.com. November 2, 2016.
- "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS To Support PRIMAL FEAR In Toronto". Bravewords.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Interview with Kobra and the Lotus". Metalstorm.net. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Zakk Wylde, James LaBrie + More on 2014 Metal All Stars Tour". Loudwire.com. July 30, 2014. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS - FAN-FILMED VIDEO OF VOCALIST KOBRA PAIGE PERFORMING WITH KAMELOT POSTED". Bravewords.com. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Charlie Parra Del Riego Interview". turkgitar.net/. May 21, 2014.
- "VOIVOD, CANCER BATS And KOBRA AND THE LOTUS Among 2019 JUNO AWARDS Nominees". Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- "2014 Mid-Year Recap: Best Albums | Metal Assault: Articles". Metal Assault. June 30, 2014. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Best Emerging Hard Rock & Heavy Metal Artists Of 2013". Metalassault.com. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- "Metalholic's Top 25 Women in Hard Rock and Metal for 2013". Metalholic. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "KISS/Def Leppard at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater (Irvine, CA)". Oye Times. May 31, 2014. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on January 16, 2014. Retrieved January 15, 2014.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Vote now for the Metal Hammer Golden Gods 2012 | Golden Gods 2012 | Guitar News". MusicRadar. March 16, 2012. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "The Metal Hammer Golden Gods 2012 – Chris Jericho To Host « Future PLC". Futureplc.com. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "Video: Kobra And The Lotus Covers Alannah Myles's 'Black Velvet' On 'Words Of The Prophets' Ep - Blabbermouth.net". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. Retrieved June 25, 2015.
- "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS Debut New Single "TriggerPulse"". Blunt Force Metal. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS - Gotham (Official Audio) | Napalm Records". YouTube. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved March 6, 2017.
- "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS Releases Light Me Up". Blabbermouth. Retrieved July 21, 2017.
- "Kobra and the Lotus Chart History".