Location of Knippa, Texas
|• Total||5.2 sq mi (13.5 km2)|
|• Land||5.1 sq mi (13.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||981 ft (299 m)|
|• Density||130/sq mi (51/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1360722|
Knippa is located at (29.295467, -99.639166).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 5.2 square miles (13.5 km2), of which 5.1 square miles (13.2 km2) is land and 0.08 square miles (0.2 km2), or 1.82%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 739 people, 246 households, and 180 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 70.9 people per square mile (27.4/km2). There were 280 housing units at an average density of 26.9/sq mi (10.4/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 71.58% White, 0.27% African American, 0.81% Native American, 0.41% Pacific Islander, 20.57% from other races, and 6.36% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 55.35% of the population.
There were 246 households out of which 42.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.6% were married couples living together, 10.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.8% were non-families. 24.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.00 and the average family size was 3.69.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 33.6% under the age of 18, 10.3% from 18 to 24, 27.2% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 9.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $29,375, and the median income for a family was $31,667. Males had a median income of $20,741 versus $19,722 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $9,790. About 15.5% of families and 20.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.1% of those under age 18 and 23.2% of those age 65 or over.
Knippa is served by the Knippa Independent School District.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Knippa has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Knippa CDP, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 29, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Knippa CDP, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 29, 2012.
- Climate Summary for Knippa, Texas