Klaipėda County (Lithuanian: Klaipėdos apskritis) is one of ten counties in Lithuania, bordering Tauragė County to the southeast, Telšiai County to the northeast, Kurzeme in Latvia to the north, and Kaliningrad Oblast in Russia to the south. To the west is the Baltic Sea. It lies in the west of the country and is the only county to have a coastline. Its capital is Klaipėda. On 1 July 2010, the county administration was abolished, and since that date, Klaipėda County remains as the territorial and statistical unit.
|• Total||5,222 km2 (2,016 sq mi)|
|(8% of the area of Lithuania)|
|• Rank||3rd of 10 (11.4% of the population of Lithuania)|
|• Density||61/km2 (160/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||LT-KL|
|- Total||€5.3 billion|
|- Per capita||€16,600|
very high · 3rd
The topography of Klaipėda County is divided into three regions, the highest in the east and lowest in the west: the Western Zemaičiai Plateau in the east, the Western Zemaičiai Plain in the center, and the Pajurys Lowland in the west and on the Baltic coast.
Klaipėda County borders Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia, to the south via the Nemunas, which drains into the Curonian Lagoon. The Curonian Spit, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is split between Klaipėda County, Lithuania and Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia. The Lithuanian side of the spit is separated from mainland Lithuania via a small opening between Klaipėda and Smiltynė where the Curonian Lagoon drains into the Baltic Sea.
Being the only county on Lithuania's Baltic coast, Klaipėda County is distinguished by its maritime climate. There is little variation in mean daily temperature. On average, winters are relatively warmer and summers are relatively cooler than the rest of Lithuania. Storms and foggy spells are frequent in winter. In locations throughout the county, annual precipitation rates can reach as high as 876 mm per year.
|Klaipėda City Municipality|
|Klaipėda District Municipality|
|Kretinga District Municipality|
|Palanga City Municipality|
|Skuodas District Municipality|
|Šilutė District Municipality|
As of 2020, Klaipėda County's population was 319,958. Approximately 69% is urban, while the remaining 30% are rural. It is the third most populous county in Lithuania.
As of 2020, approximately 52% of people are female and 47% are male.
The ethnic composition in 2001 was:
- "Bendrasis vidaus produktas pagal apskritis 2019 M".
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "Counties within Lithuania - weather and maps", TravelsRadiate, accessed Feb 15, 2011.
- "Dėl apskričių viršininkų administracijų likvidavimo". Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania. Retrieved 21 August 2011.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-01-05. Retrieved 2012-01-12.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Social and demographic characteristics of Klaipėda County
- Economy of Klaipėda County
- Environment of Klaipėda County