|Region||Western Region of Uganda|
|• Chairman LC5||Bizimana Abel|
|Elevation||6,329 ft (1,929 m)|
|Time zone||East African time|
Kisoro is approximately 76 kilometres (47 mi), by road, west of Kabale, the largest city in the Kigezi sub-region. This is approximately 484 kilometres (301 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the country's largest city. Kisoro is east of Rumangabo and the Virunga Mountains in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). The geographical coordinates of Kisoro are 1°17'06.0"S, 29°41'06.0"E (Latitude:-1.2850; Longitude:29.6850). Kisoro Town Council sits at an average elevation of 1,929 metres (6,329 ft), above mean sea level.
Kisoro is located under the peaks of the Mufumbiro Mountains, which are part of the Virunga Mountains and home to rare mountain gorillas. Mountain scenery, Lake Mutanda, colorful markets, and volcano trekking also are available for visitors to Kisoro. It is the nearest town to the Mgahinga Gorilla National Park and is an access town for those traveling to Rwanda or the DRC for gorilla tracking in the Volcanoes National Park or the Virunga National Park.
The 2002 national census estimated the population of Kisoro at 11,330. The Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population at 12,700 in 2010. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population at 12,900. In 2014, the national population census estimated the population at 17,561.
Points of interestEdit
The following additional points of interest are located within the town limits or near its edges:
- offices of Kisoro Town Council
- Kisoro central market
- Kisoro Airport, administered by the Civil Aviation Authority of Uganda
- Kisoro District Hospital, a 160-bed public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Lake Mutanda, located approximately 20 kilometres (12 mi), by road, north of Kisoro.
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, for viewing mountain gorillas
- Voice of Muhabura a local radio station that broadcasts on 88.9 FM. The radio streams live at Vomuhabura Online in Rufumbira (a local dialect synonymous to Kinyarwanda), Rukiga, English and Swahili. It serves over 6 million people.
- UBOS (29 November 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- Google (22 August 2021). "Road Distance Between Kabale, Uganda And Kisoro, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 22 August 2021.
- Google (22 August 2021). "Road Distance Between Kampala, Uganda And Kisoro, Uganda With Map" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 22 August 2021.
- Google (22 August 2021). "Location of Kisoro, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 22 August 2021.
- Elevation Maplogs (22 August 2021). Elevation.maplogs.com https://elevation.maplogs.com/poi/kisoro_uganda.442471.html. Retrieved 22 August 2021. Missing or empty
- UTP. "Overview of Kisoro Town, Uganda". Uganda Travel Planner (UTP). Archived from the original on 28 May 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- UBOS. "Estimated Population of Kisoro In 2002, 2010 And 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 July 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Kisoro.|