Kipper the Dog is a character in a series of books for preschool-age children by British writer Mick Inkpen. The books consist of 34 titles (as of July 2005), which have sold over 8 million copies and have been translated into over 20 languages. The books have also won many awards.
The characters in the Kipper the Dog book series also appear in the animated television series Kipper.
- Kipper the Dog - The title character of the TV show and books. He is warm-hearted, friendly and curious. Kipper is not at all selfish, though he is known to be a hoarder. Kipper is likely portrayed after beagle, beagle mix or Jack Russell terrier breed.
- Tiger - Kipper's best friend. He is more practical and wise than Kipper. Sometimes Tiger can be very smug and naughty, though he really is a kind dog at heart. Tiger is likely portrayed after Scottish Terrier or schnauzer breed.
- Jake - A friendly, warm-hearted sheepdog who is one of Kipper's best friends. He is a minor character on Kipper. However, he, Kipper and Tiger have had many adventures together.
- Holly - A cheery white dog with brown spots who is one of Kipper's friends.
- Pig - Kipper's other best friend. Pig likes to eat chocolate cakes and cookies and at times can be misjudging.
- Arnold - Pig's toddler cousin who is more aware than Pig and he usually says nothing, but at times he says simple words like "duck" and "igloo". Arnold has many exciting encounters while the older ones are occupied.
- Mouse - A mouse who lives with Kipper at his house.
- The Bleepers - A couple of space aliens and a robot who live on the Moon.
Some of the books have been translated into other languages, including Spanish.
|Book title||Date published|
|The Blue Balloon||1989|
|Kipper's Birthday||March 1993|
|Where, Oh Where, is Kipper's Bear?||October 6, 1994|
|Kipper's Book of Colours (Colors in the US)||1995|
|Kipper's Book of Opposites||1995|
|Kipper's Book of Weather||April 24, 1995|
|Kipper's Snowy Day||September 1, 1996|
|Kipper Has a Party||1998|
|Splosh!||April 15, 1998|
|Arnold||April 15, 1998|
|Sandcastle||April 15, 1998|
|Kipper's Christmas Eve||December 14, 1998|
|Butterfly||June 17, 1999|
|Kipper's Playtime||July 15, 1999|
|Kipper's Bathtime||July 15, 1999|
|Kipper's Book of Numbers||July 19, 1999|
|Kipper's Bedtime||October 21, 1999|
|Kipper's Sticky Paws||June 19, 2000|
|Kipper's Snacktime||March 1, 2000|
|Swing!||August 1, 2000|
|Kipper in the Snow||August 1, 2000|
|Kipper's A to Z: An Alphabet Adventure||October 19, 2000|
|Kipper and Roly||January 1, 2001|
|Thing!||April 19, 2001|
|Kipper's Monster||April 24, 2001|
|Picnic||March 1, 2001|
|Hissss!||March 1, 2001|
|Kipper and the Egg||March 26, 2001|
|Kipper's Sunny Day||June 1, 2001|
|Kipper's Rainy Day||June 14, 2001|
|Miaow! (Meow! in the US)||August 1, 2001|
|Skates||September 1, 2001|
|Rocket||September 1, 2001|
|Kipper's Surprise||January 1, 2002|
|Kipper's Kite||March 14, 2002|
|Kipper's Lost Ball||April 18, 2002|
|Kipper's Tree House||April 18, 2002|
|Kipper's Beach Ball||June 12, 2003|
|One Year with Kipper||September 21, 2006|
|Playtime!||July 15, 2007|
|Hide Me, Kipper!||September 2009|
|Kipper's Little Friends||June 30, 2015|
|Kipper's Visitor||February 25, 2016|
|Kipper's New Pet||June 7, 2016|
- Winner of BAFTA for Preschool Animation in 1998, 2000 and 2001.
- Publishers Weekly named Kipper as one of the Best Children's Books in 2001.
- Annecy International Animated Film Festival '98 award, TV Series, Special Prize (up to 12 minutes).
- Silver Pulcinella Award, 1999, Best Series for Infants
- Dove Foundation, Dove Family-Approved Suitable for all ages. Tiger Tales and Pools, Parks and Picnics.
- "BAFTA past winners database query for Kipper". BAFTA. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- "Best Children's Books 2001". Publishers Weekly. Archived from the original on 2009-07-25. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- "Annecy `98 Award Winners". Animation World Network. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- "Cartoons on the Bay 1999". Cartoonsbay.com. Archived from the original on 2006-10-26. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "Tiger Tales". Dove.org. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "Pools, Parks and Picnics". Dove.org. Retrieved 2015-08-10.