The Kintyre Way is a waymarked footpath through the Kintyre peninsula of Argyll and Bute in Scotland. It runs between Machrihanish near the southern end of the peninsula's west coast, and Tarbert at the northern end of Kintyre where the peninsula is linked to Knapdale, via Campbeltown. The way is 161 kilometres (100 mi) long, and is fully waymarked. Additionally there are distance markers at 1 mile (1.6 km) intervals along the route. The route is primarily intended for walkers, but most sections can also be cycled.
East Loch Tarbert from the Kintyre Way.
|Length||161 km (100 mi)|
|Location||Kintyre, Argyll and Bute, Scotland|
|Designation||Scotland's Great Trails|
|Elevation gain/loss||3,140 metres (10,300 ft) gain.|
|Lowest point||Sea Level|
The Kintyre Way is designated as one of Scotland's Great Trails by NatureScot. It can be linked to another one of the Great Trails via Tarbert, where there is a Caledonian MacBrayne ferry service to Portavadie, which is the start/finish point of the Cowal Way. As of 2018, it was estimated that between one and two thousand people completed the entire route each year.
The Kintyre Way ultramarathon has been held annually along parts of the route since 2007. Originally held over a 108 km (67 mi) course between Tarbert and Campbeltown, a shorter 56 km (35 mi) route from Tayinloan to Campbeltown was later introduced. Due to the relative popularity of the two routes, the longer course is no longer run. The 2016 edition of the race featured in an episode of BBC Scotland's The Adventure Show. For 2019 the route of the race will be changed again, utilising a 51 km (32 mi) section between Tayinloan and Tarbert.
- "Trails". Scotland's Great Trails. Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- "Kintyre Way". Scotland's Great Trails. Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- Ordnance Survey. 1:50000 Landranger Sheet 62. North Kintyre & Tarbert.
- "The Cowal Way". Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park. Retrieved 2018-08-21.
- "Scotland's networks of paths and trails: key research findings" (PDF). Scottish Natural Heritage. August 2018. p. 6. Retrieved 2018-09-26.
- "The Kintyre Way Ultra(s)". Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- BBC Scotland. The Adventure Show. 2017-208 series, episode 1. Aired 2017-06-17
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kintyre Way.|