This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
WPS Office (an acronym for Writer, Presentation and Spreadsheets, previously known as Kingsoft Office) is an office suite for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS and Android, developed by Zhuhai-based Chinese software developer Kingsoft. WPS Office is a suite of software which is made up of three primary components: WPS Writer, WPS Presentation, and WPS Spreadsheet.
WPS Office 2014 in Windows 7
WPS Office for Windows (v.184.108.40.20632) / March 19, 2020
|Written in||CodeGear Delphi, C/C++|
|Platform||Microsoft Windows, Android, iOS, Linux|
|Available in||Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese|
The personal basic version is free to use. A fully featured professional-grade version is also available for a subscription fee. WPS Office 2016 was released in 2016. As of 2019, the Linux version is developed and supported by a volunteer community rather than Kingsoft itself.
The product has had a long history of development in China under the name "WPS" and "WPS Office". For a time, Kingsoft branded the suite as "KSOffice" in an attempt to gain an international market foothold, but later returned to "WPS Office". Since WPS Office 2005 the user interface is similar to that of Microsoft Office products, and supports Microsoft document formats besides native Kingsoft formats.
WPS Office initially started as Super-WPS文字处理系统 (Super-WPS Word Processing System, then known simply as WPS) in 1988 as a word processor that ran on DOS systems and sold by then-Hong Kong Kingsun COMPUTER CO. LTD.. It was the first Chinese-language word processor designed and developed for the mainland Chinese market. WPS was used from the late 1980s.
Faced with competition from Microsoft Office, Kingsoft chief software architect Pak Kwan Kau (求伯君) diverted 4 million Renminbi from his personal account to assist in the development of WPS 97 for Microsoft Windows. In 1997, WPS 97 was released. The next version, WPS 2000, was released two years later. Both products were developed for a 16-bit Windows platform, with the capability of running on 32-bit Windows platforms.
In May 2001, Kingsoft launched a full office suite under the name WPS Office 2001, which contained a word processor, together with spreadsheet and presentation applications. With WPS Office 2001, Kingsoft entered the office productivity market in the People's Republic of China.
In 2002, WPS Office 2002 was released, succeeding WPS Office 2001 as the flagship version of WPS Office and adding an email client to the office suite. WPS Office 2002 aimed to maintain interface compatibility with established office products.
In 2003, WPS Office 2003 was released. The Chinese government made Kingsoft office software the standard for various divisions of the government.
The 2004 incarnation of the office suite, dubbed WPS Office Storm, was released in late 2004. It claimed to offer total backward compatibility with Microsoft Office file formats. Unlike previous versions, WPS Storm was based on OpenOffice.org and was the first WPS Office suite to support operating systems other than Microsoft Windows. Kingsoft collaborated with Intel and IBM to integrate its text-to-text and text-to-speech technology into WPS Office Storm.
In late 2005, WPS Office 2005 was released with a revamped interface and a smaller file size. Besides the Professional edition, a free Simplified Chinese edition was offered for students and home users. A Wine-hosted edition was provided for Linux users of WPS Office Storm.
In 2007, Kingsoft Office 2007 was released. This was the first version that tried to enter international markets, with support for the English and Japanese languages. The native Chinese-language version continued under the name WPS Office.
In 2009, Kingsoft Office 2009 was released. It had increased compatibility with Microsoft Office including support for the newer 2007-version file formats.
In 2010, Kingsoft Office 2010 was released.
Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2012 was released in 2011. Kingsoft Office Professional 2012 and Kingsoft Office Standard 2012 were released for sale in February 2012, in addition to Kingsoft Office for Android. The initial release for Android included standard word processor functions such as creating documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
On 28 March 2012 Kingsoft announced that WPS for Linux was under development. It is the third WPS Linux product, following WPS Storm and WPS 2005. It was developed from scratch, based on the Qt framework, as compatible as possible with its Windows counterpart.
The free and paid versions of Kingsoft Office 2013 were released on 4 June 2013. They consist of three programs: Writer, Spreadsheets, and Presentation, which are similar to Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. WPS for Linux Alpha 18 Patch 1 was released on 11 June 2015.
On June 6, 2014, all Kingsoft Office products were renamed WPS Office.
On December 16, 2014, WPS Office 2014 for Windows, build 220.127.116.1132, was released as a subscription model for a monthly charge of US$3 for some features. The free version provided basic features and supported Microsoft Office .doc, .xls, and .ppt file formats. Premium paid versions provided full compatibility for Microsoft Office files. Officially only the paid 2014 version supported saving files in .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx formats, but, actually, the free version also supported these formats (as had the 2013 free version).
On 28 May 2017 Kingsoft tweeted that the Linux version was at a halt, but denied this a few days later, removed the tweet, and issued a further alpha version. Kingsoft also tweeted making reference to making WPS Office for Linux open-source towards the end of 2017 to allow the Linux community to step in and continue maintaining it, but later deleted this tweet too.
WPS Office 2019 was released on May 6, 2019. The PC version has significant innovations, such as new integration features, personalized features, and full support for PDF.
Personalized office software, full support for PDF
A free Mac OS office software, supports common file formats
Compatible with Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Mint, Knoppix and more
Originally supports both 32- and 64-bit systems, however support for 32-bit systems stopped as of July 2019.
all in one: WPS Office for Android contains four major components: Writer, Presentation, Spreadsheets and PDF reader
High compatibility, fully compatible with Office documents
Privacy protection: document encryption, set sharing/editing permissions
Cloud synchronization: WPS PC/smartphone integration and switching
perfect compatibility with common document formats, full support for Microsoft formats.
Shared play: Remote file for synchronized playback display
Presentation: You can record the screen in your smartphone and your voice from the microphone
WPS Document/Web Office: Enterprise Cloud Office
Full platform WPS Office support
Cloud document: online collaborative office, multi-person real-time collaborative editing
Enterprise Management Backend: Create an enterprise organization structure, add or bulk import members
Versions and subscription modelEdit
WPS Office 2016 is available in Free, Premium, and Professional versions, along with versions for Android and iOS. The free version provides basic features and supports Microsoft Office file formats. Some features, such as printing and mail-merge, can be temporarily accessed only after viewing an advertisement, which WPS Office refers to as sponsored access.
The subscription-based, paid version, called WPS Office 2016 Premium, is available for US$9.99 per 3 months, and makes all features available without viewing advertisements.
A lifetime license for WPS Office 2016 Professional can be purchased for $79.99.
|WPS Office Free||Free||-|
|WPS Home & Student||US$44.99/Year||-|
|WPS Office License||US$44.99/Year||-|
According to an April 2017 review of WPS Office 2016 Free v10.2.0.5871 for Windows, the program opens and saves all Microsoft Office document formats (doc, docx, xls, xlsx, etc.), HTML, RTF, XML, and PDF.
- Text document formats: wps, wpt, doc, dot, docx, dotx, docm, dotm
- XML document formats: xml, htm, html, mht, mhtm, mhtml
- Spreadsheet document formats: et, ett, xls, xlsx, xlt, xltx, csv, xlsm, xltm, xlsb, ets
- Slideshow document formats: ppt, pot, pps, dps, dpt, pptx, potx, ppsx, pptm, potm, ppsm, dpss
Notes and referencesEdit
- Currently in Alpha state. See "WPS for Linux A15 is Released". Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- "What is WPS Office and. wps File Format - Kingsoft Office". Ksosoft.com. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "Kingsoft Office for iOS to hit iPhones and iPads". Kingsoftstor.com. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Download Kingsoft free office app for Android". Kingsoftstore.com. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "WPS Office Home Page". wps.com.
- "WPS Office Officially Releases WPS 2016 for Windows". wps.com.
- "WPS Office for Linux Update Available to Download - OMG! Ubuntu!". OMG! Ubuntu!. 2019-04-02. Retrieved 2019-09-19.
- "WPS Office Software: free office software, professional office software". wps.com. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Kingsoft WPS Office Receives Further Orders from Central Ministries". Free Online Library. Kingsoft Office Software Corporation Limited. 19 May 2011. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Kingsoft Office + PDF - FREE!". Google Play. Kingsoft Office Software Corporation Limited. 31 December 2013. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Kingsoft Office 2013 has been released". Kingsoft Office. Archived from the original on 10 June 2013. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "Kingsoft Office Change Name to WPS Office". Kingsoft Office. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "WPS Office for Windows". WPS Office. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "WPS Office Implements Freemium Version of Software". wps.com. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Joey Sneddon (28 May 2017). "Linux Users Shouldn't Expect Further Updates to WPS Office…". OMG! Ubuntu!. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- Joey Sneddon (31 May 2017). "Kingsoft Say WPS Office for Linux Will Continue To Be Updated After all". OMG! Ubuntu!. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "Downloads - WPS Office Community". wps-community.org. Retrieved 2019-07-08.
- "Why you should take another look at WPS Office Free". CNet. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Compare WPS Office". WPS Office. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- Mike Williams (15 June 2017). "WPS Office 2016 Free v10.2.0.5871". Techworld.com. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to WPS Office.|