This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kidscape is a London-based charity established in 1985 by child psychologist Michele Elliott. Its focus is on children's safety, with an emphasis on the prevention of harm by equipping children with techniques and mindsets that help them stay safe.
|Slogan||"preventing bullying, protecting lives"|
|Mission||To provide children, families, carers and professionals with advice, training and practical tools to prevent bullying and protect young lives.|
After a 1984–1986 survey of 4000 children, their parents and teachers, it was apparent that the main threat to children came from people known to them – bullies, friends, or family members. Kidscape's Child Protection programmes are now taught UK-wide in thousands of schools and community groups.
Kidscape's work falls into five main categories:
- A nationwide training programme in all aspects of anti-bullying and child protection work for children, teachers and other professionals
- Workshops for bullied children that teach them how to stop the bullying; their parents also learn and are supported in their own session
- A range of publications on bullying and general child safety advice..
- An extensive website with information and advice
Work with external organisationsEdit
Kidscape is a frequent commentator in the media on bullying and child protection issues. Michele Elliott has represented Kidscape on advisory boards, including the Toy Council, and consults and advises, such as the House of Commons Education and Skills Committee on the effects of bullying. Kidscape is a member of the Anti-bullying Alliance.
- In 1998 Smith Kline Beecham awarded Kidscape an Impact Award recognising Kidscape's work in improving community health.
- In September 2000, Kidscape was named UK Charity of the Year in the first Charity Times awards.
- In 2007 Kidscape was Highly Commended in the 2007 Charity Awards Children and Youth category and Michele Elliott was Highly Commended in the Charity Principal of the Year category.
- In the New Year Honours 2008, Michele Elliott was awarded an Order of the British Empire by HM the Queen in recognition of her services to children.
The effectiveness of Kidscape's methods for handling bullying behaviour have been criticized for not being benchmarked against other methods for preventing bullying. In some cases other education experts felt that Kidscape's methods might encourage further bullying.
- Charity Commission. Kidscape Campaign for Children'S Safety, registered charity no. 326864.
- "CBBC Newsround - Press Pack Reports - Your Reports - Children in Need: Kidscape helped me".
- Panorama Monday, 5 January 2009
- Toy Council Membership
- "Charity Times Awards 2007 winners".
- Kidscape Staff, Patrons, Trustees and Volunteers Archived 2011-05-24 at the Wayback Machine.
- Crying for Help: The No Blame Approach to Bullying By George Robinson, Barbara Maines Page 9 ISBN 1873942869