This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Khidirpur or Kidderpore is a neighborhood of metropolitan Kolkata (Calcutta). Located in the central-west part of the city, it is bounded by the Alipore in the east, Mominpur in the south, Hastings in the north, Garden Reach and Metiabruz in the south-west, and the Hooghly River in the west.
|District||South 24 Parganas|
|Elevation||9 m (30 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English, Hindi, Urdu|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The gateway of Kidderpore is at the crossing of Diamond Harbour Road and Gangadhar Banerjee Lane. At that place a roadside restaurant dating from the British era remains, named "Panchubabu's Shop" or "Panchubabur Dokan", one of the landmarks of Kidderpore. The area is also home to quite a few dargahs of Sufi saints like Syed Baba and Shah Warsi Baba.
A number of soldiers killed in World War II were buried at the Solana Muslim burial ground.
In the field of Indian literature, this part of Kolkata produced three jewel poets. They were Rongolal Bandhopadhyay, Hemchandra Bandopadhyay and Michael Madhushudan Dutta.
One of the oldest parts of the city, Kidderpore has many legends associated with respect to the stoical origin of its name. It is said that some British could not converse in Bengali. Whenever they passed by, their asking in broken Hindi for the directions to the port where their ships used to dock sounded somewhat like 'kidder-port'. More plausibly, the name is a corruption of Khidrpur or Khizarpur, Khizr/Khidr being the guardian saint of the seas to the fishing communities of Bengal. Another theory points out that the port probably got its name from Lord Kyde, a 19th-century engineer who designed and supervised the building of the lock gate that connects the nearby port to the Hoogly River.
Kidderpore is located at  It has an average elevation of 9 m (30 ft)..
Kidderpore Bridge is one of the few bridges in Kolkata that has trams plying across it. The Kidderpore Tram Depot connects locations like Kalighat, Tollygunge and Ballygunge, etc. The main Kidderpore intersection is connected with northern, southern and central Kolkata by various private and state bus services. Shared autos ply from nearby distances are an affordable option. Kidderpore can also be accessed by the Kolkata Circular Railway, which has a station in the locality.
The area is well served by several major hospitals:
- Calcutta Medical Research Institute, Alipore
- BM Birla Heart Research Centre, Alipore
- Kothari Medical Research Center, Alipore
- SSKM Hospital (Government Hospital), approx. 1 km away
- Bangur Institute of Neurology, approx. 1 km away
- Shambhunath Pandit Hospital, approx. 1.5 km away
- St Thomas School, Kolkata is the second oldest school in India, and the oldest in West Bengal.
- Jawahar Lal Nehru Vidyapith
- Francium Tutorial 12 B ibrahim road.
- Moulana Azad Urdu School, Driver's Quarter
- The Kidderpore Academy
- Sharat Chandra Paul Girls High School
- Jnan Chandra Ghosh College of Polytechnique
- Adarsh Hindi High School
- Khidirpur College
- St. Paul's School Kidderpore, Diamond Harbour Road
- St. Teresa Secondary School, Diamond Harbour Road
- Lajpat Hindi High School
- Loyola High School
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Command Hospital
- Sarat Chandra Paul Girls High School
- Sir Syed High School (Urdu)
- Kidderpore Urdu Girls Primary School
- Kidderpore Oriya High School
- Kidderpore Balika Vidyatan
- Bankim Ghosh Smriti Uchha Balika Vidyalaya
- Jnan Bhaskar Vidyalaya
- Thomas Day High School
- Jnan Bhaskar Vidyalay
- St Barnabas High School
- Grace International School, Mominpore
- Evergreen high school, Ibrahim Road
- Labbaik coaching center, M.M. Ali Road
- Kidder Pore Muslim High Secondary School
- Child Care Primary School, Ram Kamal Street
Places of interestEdit
- Kidderpore Drawbridge at port area
- Hastings House, Warren Hastings' residence
- Place of execution of Maharaja Nandakumar at Hastings
- National Library
- Pitambar Sarkar Lane Shitala Mata Temple (Burimar Mandir)
- Bhukailash Rajbari
- Watgaunge Street Panchanan Temple
- 5-Star Market & Fancy Market
- Race Course
- Victoria & Kolkata Maidan
- Sri Sri Patit Pabani Durga Mandir
- Bhukailash Shiv Mandir
- Fort William