Kid vs. Kat
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kid vs. Kat is a Canadian animated television series that originally aired on YTV in Canada from October 25, 2008, to June 4, 2011. The series was created and co-directed by Rob Boutilier, developed and produced at Studio B Productions, in association with YTV and Jetix Europe for its first season and Disney XD Europe for its second season.
|Kid vs. Kat|
Kid vs. Kat
|Created by||Rob Boutilier|
Karen J. Lloyd
|Music by||Hal Beckett|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||52 (list of episodes)|
Jamie Turner (Season 1)|
Chantal Hennessey (Season 2)
Jetix Europe (Season 1)|
Disney XD Europe (Seasons 2)
Studio B Productions
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original release||October 25, 2008– June 4, 2011|
When Coop Burtonburger's younger sister Millie brings home a strange stray cat, his idyllic life shatters as he discovers the cat is actually a conniving, evil alien mastermind with a fanatical hate for mankind and an unassumingly sinister goal. The two battle daily as Coop tries to warn others of Kat's evil, only to find his evidence destroyed by him and deemed a fool.
|Season||Episodes||Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||26||October 25, 2008||November 30, 2009|
|2||26||September 11, 2010||June 4, 2011|
- Cooper "Coop" Burtonburger (Voiced by Erin Mathews) - Coop is a 10 year old boy who is the main protagonist of the series. He always manages to foil Kat’s diabolical schemes, but is often injured, gotten into trouble, and occasionally humiliated in the process and always fails to prove Kat's true identity. He gets the blame for everything Kat ruins in the house and everywhere else. Coop is a fan of Captain Blasteroid.
- Millie Burtonburger (Voiced by Kathleen Barr) - Millie is Coop's younger, bratty, crybaby sister who owns and cares for Kat. Mr. Burtonburger, her father, always does whatever Millie says, mainly because she throws extreme tantrums when she fails to get her way. Because she can easily manipulate people into giving her what she wants, her talent earns her the neighborhood nickname "The Master Manipulator". Like several characters, she usually blames Coop for everything bad that happens. She is a member of the "Greeny Girls", a troop of Girl Scouts. Millie's hair goes down to her feet. She and Coop rarely get along, as she often delights in seeing Coop get into trouble and embarrassing him in front of his friends and other children. In "Tickled Pink", she and Coop finally got along, though Coop was only doing that to protect from Kat, besides, at the end, they revert to their old ways. However, in the episode "Mind Games", Millie expressed an interest in playing with Coop, at the point where she accidentally gets "telepathic powers" from one of Kat's inventions, and uses that to force Coop to be with her, even when Coop tried to run away to stop Kat. At the end of the episode her telepathic powers were gone, and both Coop and Kat were relieved, but Millie states sadly that all she wanted was for Coop to play with her. Seeing how sad Millie is, Coop agrees to spend time with her this time, and with a reluctant Kat joining in. Millie is the only child liked by Old Lady Munson. In the episode "The Kat Went Back" Mille understood that Kat was an alien. But on the same episode when she was talking with Lorne and Horley, Kat used a raygun which brainwashed Mille, Lorne and Horley minds to forget that Kat was an alien.
- Burt Burtonburger (Voiced by Trevor Devall) - Burt is the single father who is stressed out from Coop's collateral damage around the house. He owns the House of Swap, a strange "store" where people can trade one item of theirs for any item in the store, running on the barter system. He sometimes makes unpleasant-tasting vegetarian smoothies which no one can stand to drink. Burt seems to be strongly in favour of doing things yourself and living in harmony with nature, in contrast with Henry (Dennis's Father), who is very technology-savvy and uses gadgets whenever he can. Burt seems to hate that Coop is pulling his leg too much with jokes and gags. In the episode "Fangs for the Memories", Burt accidentally ended up with Coop's memories and learned about Kat's true identity, but he was no match for Kat. He later returned them to Coop. His wife is never seen or mentioned in the series.
- Grandma & Grandpa Burtonburger - Burt's parents and the grandparents of Coop and Millie.
- Kat (Mr. Kat) (Voiced by Kathleen Barr) - The antagonist. The family's cat who resembles a purple Sphynx cat, though is indeed an evil alien mastermind from planet Catnipia. He hates Coop and Dennis for knowing his true identity and foiling his plans and tries to kill them with his claws, nefarious gadgets and traps, but fails each time. He is affectionate towards Coop's sister, Millie, since she adopted him, loves him, and feeds him snacks. His original goal was to collect "Fishy Frisky Bits," and return them to his home planet, though later it changed to conquering the planet.
- Mr. Cheeks (Voiced by Christopher Gaze) - A class pet hamster who is also an extraterrestrial, whose species rival those of Kat's.
- Kat Kommander - The supreme ruler Kat's home planet, Catnipia, who sent Kat to Earth and contacts him via hologram. Coop didn't know about him at first until he saw for himself. It was believed he didn't know about Coop until the series finale episode "The Kat Went Back".
- Mr. Kitten - Kat Kommander's rebellious son, a party-hard kitten who crash lands onto Earth.
- Dr. K (Voiced by Kathleen Barr) - A cat scientist and Kat's girlfriend. She can speak English and Russian.
- Dennis Lawrence Chan (Voiced by Cathy Weseluck) - Coop's best friend; among the few who believes Kat is evil.
- Henry Chan (Voiced by Vincent Tong) - Dennis' balding father, with a noticeable Chinese American accent.
- Mrs. Elisabeth Munson (Voiced by Linda Sorenson) - The crotchety old neighbor of the Burtonburgers, who despises most children (mostly Coop), but likes Millie and Kat. She owns a dog named Growler.
- Fiona Munson - Mrs. Munson's niece; Coop's love interest. Voiced by Chiara Zanni.
- Phoebe - A girl who has a crush on Coop and frequently annoys him. Voiced by Tabitha St. Germain.
- Lorne and Harley - Two brothers who are semi-friends with Coop and Dennis, and record their misadventures. They have a pet chicken named Cachaitore. Voiced by Kathleen Barr and Brian Drummond.
- Cacciatore - A chicken mascot of Coop's school.
- Miss Brannigan - Coop's youthful math teacher, who does not trust often him. Voiced by Cathy Weseluck.
- Mr. Gerber - A science teacher. Voiced by Michael Daingerfield.
- Buck Diamond - A tough and macho Animal Protection Officer. Voiced by Patrick Warburton.
Creation and DebutEdit
The series was announced in February 2007, and was originally named Look What My Sister Dragged In.
Kid vs. Kat premiered on YTV on October 25, 2008 in Canada. It aired on Saturdays at 8:30 a.m. as part of YTV's Crunch block. In the US, the series first aired on Disney XD on February 21, 2009 at 8:00 p.m. The first season was produced by Jetix with Studio B Productions, while the second was produced by Disney XD Productions.
On August 19, 2011, Rob Boutilier announced via Facebook the series wasn't renewed for a third season and he lacked rights to make further episodes. In July 2011, Studio B Productions shut down after being acquired by DHX Media.
Broadcast and ReleaseEdit
Since the series' cancellation, reruns continued to air on YTV until December 30, 2016. Nickelodeon Canada aired reruns of the show from November 2, 2009 to February 10, 2017. In Quebec, it aired it on Vrak, it returned to Unis TV on July 1, 2017. In the US, the series premiered on Disney XD up until 2014. The show aired in Australia starting in 2009 on Nickelodeon & ABC2, while in 2010 for Television New Zealand. The show began broadcasting in the UK and Ireland on April 4, 2009 on Jetix. Kid vs Kat aired on Disney XD in India until 2017. All episodes of Kid vs. Kat were released exclusively through iTunes, with no DVD releases.
- Kid vs. Kat, retrieved 2018-10-17
- Aaron H. Bynum, "'Kid vs. Kat' TV Animation Moves into Production" Archived 2009-02-21 at the Wayback Machine., Animation Insider, February 19th, 2007
- DHX Media (December 4, 2007). "DHX Media acquires Studio B Productions Inc" (Press release). Canada Newswire. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "Le diabolique Monsieur Kat - Émissions - Unis TV". Unis.ca. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- "Kid vs Kat, Season 1 on iTunes". 2009-02-05. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Kid vs Kat, Season 2 on iTunes". 2010-10-30. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Kid vs. Kat". TV.com. Retrieved January 29, 2010.
- "Kid vs. Kat". IMDb. Retrieved January 30, 2010.