Kian John Francis Egan (born 29 April 1980) is an Irish singer, multi-instrumentalist, and songwriter, best known as a member of International vocal group Westlife. Westlife has since released twelve albums, embarked on thirteen world tours, and won several awards, becoming one of the most successful musical groups of all time. He was a coach on The Voice of Ireland and won the thirteenth series of I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! in 2013.
Egan performing in 2009
|Birth name||Kian John Francis Egan|
|Born||29 April 1980|
- 1 Music career
- 2 Television career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Philanthropy
- 5 Discography
- 6 Concert tours
- 7 Songwriting
- 8 Selected filmography
- 9 Honours and awards
- 10 References
- 11 External links
1997–2012: Westlife and WonderlandEdit
In his early musical years, he was part of a rock band named Skrod and can play more than five musical instruments that include guitar, piano, and drums. He is a grade 8 pianist and was taught piano by his brother Gavin Egan, a university music graduate and full time teacher of music in the UK. Not only was he in Westlife, but Egan was also part of a pop group called Six as One and later called IOYOU with fellow Westlife members Mark Feehily and Shane Filan, as well as Graham Keighron, Michael "Miggles" Garrett and Derrick Lacey. Egan, during a year long hiatus from Westlife in 2008, launched a new venture with Louis Walsh to put together and co-manage girlband, Wonderland. Their debut album reached number 6 on the Irish Albums Chart and number 8 on the UK Albums Chart, however, just four months later, they were dropped by Mercury Records.
It was announced in January 2014 that Egan had signed to Rhino Records of Warner Music Group and his debut album Home was released on 14 March in Ireland and 17 March in the UK, the song is 3:43 seconds long. His debut single "Home", a cover of the track by band Daughtry, had its first exclusive play on BBC Radio 2 on lunch time with Terry Wogan's show. The album has peaked to number 2 on the Irish Singles Chart and number 9 on the UK Albums Chart. In May 2014, Egan released "I'll Be" as the second single from the album, a cover of the track by Edwin McCain.
2018–present: Westlife reunion with new musics and concert tourEdit
In October 2018, a video was posted to Westlife's official social media platforms announcing the group's reunion as a four-piece. In 2019, the group will be headlining "The 20 Tour", named in honour of Westlife's 20th anniversary since its formation and the release of its first single, "Swear It Again", in 1999. In addition to touring, Westlife will also be releasing new music. "Hello My Love", the first single from the group's upcoming album, will debut on the Graham Norton Show on 10 and 11 January 2019.
Egan is one of four coaches on The Voice of Ireland. However, his dreams of winning the show went to tatters as he threw his lot in with Jim Devine, from Northern Ireland. This immediately put him at a disadvantage to the other contestants as, ahead of the final, viewers in Northern Ireland could not download his single, the tally of which contributed to his vote. Egan was left fuming and in need of support from Sharon Corr as he expressed his opinion on the unfairness of it all and had "huge rows" about it but to no avail.
In June 2012, Egan announced in an interview with the Sunday Life that he was "looking at doing a TV show with Sky on surfing". Later reports suggested that the show would be eight episodes long and would broadcast on Sky1 later in the year.
In July 2012, Egan presented the British programme This Morning's Hub on a regular basis, standing in for the regular hosts. Later that year, every Friday morning in October, he began giving reports on another British programme This Morning about the remaining contestants in the ninth series of The X Factor, before the competition's live shows that weekend.
On 21 October 2012, Egan co-presented the revamped version of Surprise Surprise, but did not return the following year.
Egan was born to Patricia and Kevin (d. 2009). He is the fifth of seven children. He attended Summerhill College secondary school in Sligo, where he met fellow band members Mark Feehily and Shane Filan. He is the cousin of Filan's wife, Gillian Walsh. Before Westlife, he worked for a jeans shop and nicknamed as "horse".
Egan married English actress and Girl Thing and Wonderland member Jodi Albert on 8 May 2009. Due to illness, Egan's father was unable to attend the marriage ceremony after being diagnosed with a brain tumour, and died shortly after. On 31 July 2011, the couple announced they were expecting their first child. Westlife's official Facebook page announced that Albert had given birth to a baby boy, Koa on 20 December 2011. The family live in Strandhill, County Sligo. On 15 November 2014, the pair announced they were expecting their second child in the spring. On 21 May 2015, Egan and his wife welcomed a second son, Zekey. Their third son Cobi Egan was born 29 September 2017.
Egan spoke of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa but said he would not go after the Republic of Ireland national football team was eliminated from the tournament after Thierry Henry's handball.
Kian lives in England.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart.|
- World of Our Own
- When You're Looking Like That
- I'll Be
- What Makes a Man
- I'm Already There
- Ho Hey
- Sex on Fire
- You Raise Me Up
- What About Now
|12 June 2014||United Kingdom||Mansfield||Sherwood Pines Forest Park|
|4 July 2014||York||Huntington Stadium|
|6 July 2014||Northwich||Delamere Forest|
|11 July 2014||Thetford||Thetford Forest|
|18 July 2014||Tetbury||Westonbirt Arboretum|
Egan has co-written some songs during his Westlife years and some unreleased ones:
- "Nothing Is Impossible"
- "Fragile Heart"
- "You Don't Know"
- "I Wanna Grow Old With You"
- "Imaginary Diva"
- "Reason For Living"
- "Never Knew I Was Losing You"
- "Where We Belong"
- "I Won't Let You Down"
- "Singing Forever"
- "You See Friends (I See Lovers)"
- "I'm Missing Loving You"
- "We've Got Love"
- "When It Comes to Love"
|2010||Louis Walsh & Kian Egan's Next Big Thing – Wonderland||Co-star||With Louis Walsh|
|2012–2016||The Voice of Ireland||Coach/Judge|
|2012–2014||This Morning||Hub presenter and reporter|
|2013||I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!||Contestant||Won the series|
|2015||Fat Pets: Slimmer of the Year||Presenter||With Angela Griffin|
- Guest appearances
- Alan Carr's Celebrity Ding Dong (31 October 2008) – Guest
- Lorraine (15 November 2010, 7 March 2011) – Guest
- Celebrity Juice (23 December 2010, 5 April 2012, 13 March 2014) – Panellist
- Loose Women (14 November 2011) – Guest
- Daybreak (9 November 2012) – Guest
- Fake Reaction (24 January 2013) – Guest
- 8 Out of 10 Cats (8 February 2013) – Panellist
- Your Face Sounds Familiar (27 July 2013) – Guest judge
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (19 December 2013) – Contestant with Rebecca Adlington
- The Cube: Celebrity Special (22 February 2014) – Contestant
- The Wright Stuff (28 March 2014) – Panellist
- The Guess List (3 May 2014) – Guest
- Sunday Brunch (4 May 2014) – Guest
- Weekend (10 May 2014) – Guest
- TV OD (5 June 2014) – Guest
- All Star Mr & Mrs (25 June 2014) – Contestant
- Through the Keyhole (20 September 2014) – Panellist
- Would I Lie to You? (26 September 2014) - Panellist
Honours and awardsEdit
|2000||Smash Hits Awards||Best Haircut||Won|
- Finn, Melanie (28 October 2011). "Bressie's in the hotseat in search for the Voice". Evening Herald. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Kian Egan "fuming" over Voice scandal". 98FM. Communicorp – owned by Denis O'Brien. 26 April 2012. Archived from the original on 29 April 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "Sharon offers Kian support". 98FM. Communicorp – owned by Denis O'Brien. 27 April 2012. Archived from the original on 1 May 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- RCTVIreland (2 July 2012). "Special K - Red Carpet TV Episode 7" – via YouTube.
- "Fat Pets: Slimmer of the Year Episode 1".
- "Kian Tried To Stop Cousin From Dating Westlife Bandmate - popdirt.com". popdirt.com.
- "Westlife's Kian Egan and wife Jodi Albert are expecting their first child". heatworld.com. Archived from the original on 29 September 2012. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- "Familiar much? Little cool dude Koa rides the waves like daddy Kian Egan". evoke.ie. 25 April 2015. Archived from the original on 29 April 2015. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "Judge tells Westlife's Kian Egan 'raise wall up' to keep fans at bay" – via www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk.
- "Kian Egan and Jodi Albert expecting second child". Irish Independent. 14 November 2014. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- Nadia Neophytou. Westlife looks forward to World Cup Archived 22 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Eyewitness News.
- JANEH (20 July 2014). "POLL: WHO IS IRELAND'S SEXIEST MAN?". RSVP Magazine. Archived from the original on 29 July 2014.
- Peak positions in Ireland:
- Peak positions in the United Kingdom:
- Peak positions for albums in Scotland:
- "All Star Mr & Mrs Episode 3".