Kiên Giang (Vietnamese: [kiən˧˧ jaːŋ˧˧] (listen)) is a province of Vietnam, located in the Mekong Delta region of southern Vietnam. It is known for fishing and rice farming. The provincial capital is Rạch Giá, 155 mi (249 km) from Ho Chi Minh City. Kiên Giang's area is about 6,299 km2 (2,432 sq mi) and its population is about 1,634,043, of which 22 percent live in urban areas.
Kiên Giang province
Tỉnh Kiên Giang
|• People's Council Chair||Mai Văn Huỳnh|
|• People's Committee Chair||Lâm Minh Thành|
|• Total||6,348.53 km2 (2,451.18 sq mi)|
|• Density||350/km2 (910/sq mi)|
|• Ethnicities||Vietnamese, Khmer, Hoa|
|Time zone||UTC+7 (ICT)|
|ISO 3166 code||VN-47|
Kiên Giang is bordered with An Giang province in the northeast, Cần Thơ and Hậu Giang provinces in the east, Bạc Liêu province in the southeast and Cà Mau province in the south, and Kampot province of Cambodia (with the 33 mi (53 km) border) in the west, and the Gulf of Thailand in the southwest (with the 124 mi (200 km) coast).
According to survey results on April 1, 2009, Kiên Giang province's population is 1,683,149 people.
In 1774, Lord Nguyen Phuc Dang Khoat divided into 12 in the palace, but still leave the town of Hà Tiên, Mac Thien Tich style as Admiral rule.
By the reign of Minh Mạng, in 1832, Hà Tiên had become one of the six provinces of the south.
In 1876, Southern France divided into four big administrative regions, each region divided into smaller administrative sub-district or county take action (administratif arrondissement), Hà Tiên, the former being divided into two particle parameters are Hà Tiên and Rạch Giá. From January 1, 1900, two-particle parameters of Hà Tiên and Rạch Giá became provinces of Hà Tiên and Rạch Giá.
- Coordinates: 9°23'50" N to 10°32'30" N, 104°40' E to 105°32'40" E.
- Area: 6,299 km2 (2,432 sq mi), 4,119.74 km2 (1,590.64 sq mi) of agricultural land (66% natural area), private land for rice accounts for 3,170.19 km2 (1,224.02 sq mi) (77% of agricultural land). Forests cover 1,200.27 km2 (463.43 sq mi) (19% of the area). The province also contains 500.00 km2 (193.05 sq mi) of unused land.
- The average elevation of the province is 0.39 metres (1 ft 3 in) above sea level, making it vulnerable to sea level rise.
- Average annual rainfall: 1,980 mm (78 in)
- Average temperature: 27.3 °C (81.1 °F)
- The dry season occurs for approximately three months and the rest of the year is mostly the wet season
- Dry season: from seven to eight hours/day.
- Rainy Season: from four to six hours/day.
- Average relative humidity: 80 to 83%.
Kiên Giang is subdivided into 13 district-level sub-divisions and two cities:
- 12 districts:
- 3 cities:
They are further subdivided into 12 commune-level towns (or townships), 118 communes, and 15 wards.
- Minderhoud, P. S. J.; Coumou, L.; Erkens, G.; Middelkoop, H.; Stouthamer, E. (2019). "Mekong delta much lower than previously assumed in sea-level rise impact assessments". Nature Communications. 10 (1): 3847. doi:10.1038/s41467-019-11602-1. ISSN 2041-1723.
Media related to Kien Giang at Wikimedia Commons