Khanyar is a locality in downtown Srinagar of Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. It lies about 4 kilometers north from Lal Chowk. Khanyar is known for the shrines of Dastgeer Sahib which holds the relic of Abdul Qadir Gilani and Roza Bal, tomb of Yuz Asaf.
|Elevation||1,592 m (5,223 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Distance from Delhi||808 kilometres (502 mi)|
|Distance from Mumbai||2,229 kilometres (1,385 mi)|
Known for its shrine of Abdul Qadir Gilani, a renowned scholar, also called as Dastgeer sahib by locals. This shrine was built in 1806 A.D. from where the relic, which was given by an Afghan traveller to then governor of the state, Sardar Abdullah Khan, was displayed on various religious festivals. The shrine was enlarged in 1877 A.D. by Khwaja Sanaullah Shawl.
The tomb of Yuz Asaf in Roza Bal is also situated here. In 1899 Mirza Ghulam Ahmad claimed that it was the tomb of Jesus Christ. Over the years other people such as Fida Hassnain and historian Suzanne Olsson have claimed the same. Others just think it is a way to attract tourists.
Khanyar is surrounded on one side by once a freshwater lake known as Brari Nambal which at present day is in highly deteriorated condition due to official negligence and choking of it drainage canals. It was once drained by a famous canal Nallah Mar, which was filled up and converted to a road called Nallah Mar Road.
- Directorate of Census Operation, Jammu and Kashmir. Census of India 2011. District Census Handbook, Srinagar. Pg -96, 97. http://censusindia.gov.in/2011census/dchb/DCHB_A/01/0110_PART_A_DCHB_SRINAGAR.pdf
- "History of the Dastgeer Sahib shrine". India Today. 25 June 2012.
- J. Gordon Melton The Encyclopedia of Religious Phenomena 2007 "Ahmad specifically repudiated Notovitch on Jesus' early travels to India, but claimed that Jesus did go there late in His life. The structure identified by Ahmad as Jesus' resting place is known locally as the Roza Bal (or Rauza Bal)."
- Olsson, Suzanne (2002). Jesus in Kashmir: The Lost Tomb. BookSurge. ISBN 9781419611759.
- Hassnain, Fida M.; results, search (4 October 2008). Roza Bal The Tomb of Jesus. Erscheinungsort nicht ermittelbar: BookSurge Publishing. ISBN 9781419697586.
- "Tomb Raider: Jesus buried in Srinagar? - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 22 November 2018.
- Miller, Sam (27 March 2010). "Visiting 'Jesus tomb' in Kashmir". BBC. Retrieved 22 November 2018.
- "Brari Nambal Conservation". Greater Kashmir. 17 November 2013. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "Official apathy pushes Brari Nambal lagoon on verge of extinction". Greater Kashmir. 27 August 2018.