Kevin McCarthy (baseball)
Kevin Edward McCarthy (born February 22, 1992) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Boston Red Sox organization of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has played in MLB for the Kansas City Royals. Listed at 6 feet 3 inches (1.91 m) and 210 pounds (95 kg), he throws and bats right-handed.
McCarthy with the Omaha Storm Chasers in 2016
|Boston Red Sox|
|Born: February 22, 1992|
Rockville Centre, New York
|September 9, 2016, for the Kansas City Royals|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2020 season)
|Earned run average||3.80|
McCarthy attended Kellenberg Memorial High School in Uniondale, New York, and played college baseball at Marist College. He was drafted by the Kansas City Royals in the 16th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball draft.
McCarthy signed with the Royals and spent 2013 with the Burlington Royals where he was 4–2 with a 3.40 earned run average (ERA) in 42 1⁄3 innings pitched. He pitched in only two games in 2014 due to injury. In 2015, he played for the Lexington Legends, Wilmington Blue Rocks, and Northwest Arkansas Naturals where he posted a 5–4 record and 2.74 ERA in 33 relief appearances. In 2016, he pitched with Northwest Arkansas and the Omaha Storm Chasers where he compiled a 5–6 record, 3.04 ERA, and 1.15 WHIP in 47 appearances out of the bullpen.
Kansas City RoyalsEdit
McCarthy was called up to the majors for the first time on September 6, 2016. He made his major league debut on September 9, appearing in the eighth inning during the Royals' 7–2 loss to the Chicago White Sox; he retired the only batter he faced. He made a total of 10 appearances with the 2016 Royals, accruing a 6.48 ERA with a 1–0 record and 7 strikeouts in 8 1⁄3 innings pitched.
In 2017, McCarthy split time between the minors and the Royals bullpen. In 33 games for the Royals, he again posted a 1–0 record, recording 27 strikeouts in 45 innings with a 3.20 ERA. In 2018, McCarthy appeared in 65 games, all in relief; he pitched to a 3.25 ERA and a 5–4 record, with 46 strikeouts in 72 innings pitched. McCarthy made the Royals' 2019 Opening Day roster. For the season, he compiled a 4–2 record and 4.48 ERA in 56 games, and 38 strikeouts in 60 1⁄3 innings pitched. With the 2020 Royals, McCarthy appeared in five games, registering no decisions with a 4.50 ERA and two strikeouts in six innings pitched.
On October 30, 2020, McCarthy was outrighted off the Royals roster; he became a free agent instead of accepting a Triple-A assignment. Overall, in parts of five seasons with Kansas City, he appeared in 169 games (all in relief) while striking out 120 batters in 191 2⁄3 innings pitched with a record of 11–6 and a 3.80 ERA.
Boston Red SoxEdit
- Malverne Native Kevin McCarthy Drafted by Kansas City Royals
- "Kevin McCarthy Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- Haynes, Stephen (September 6, 2016). "From Marist to the Majors". Poughkeepsie Journal. Retrieved December 20, 2019.
- "Chicago White Sox 7, Kansas City Royals 2". Retrosheet. September 9, 2016. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- "Kevin McCarthy". Retrosheet. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- Flanagan, Jeffrey (March 28, 2019). "Royals Finalize Opening Day Roster". mlb.com. Kansas City Royals. Retrieved December 20, 2019.
- "Kevin McCarthy Stats". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- "Royals Roster & Staff – Transactions". MLB.com. October 2020. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- "Red Sox Roster & Staff – Transactions". MLB.com. November 2020. Retrieved November 17, 2020.