Southern Kurdish (Kurdish: کوردی باشووری ,کوردی خوارین, romanized: Kurdî Başûrî, Kurdî Xwarîn) is one of the dialects of the Kurdish language, spoken predominantly in northeastern Iraq and western Iran. The Southern Kurdish-speaking region spans from Khanaqin in Iraq to Dehloran southward and Asadabad eastward in Iran.
|Native to||Eastern Iraq, Western Iran|
|3.7 million in Iran (2019)|
unknown number in Iraq
|Kurdish alphabet (Perso-Arabic script)|
Southern Kurdish is a new term coined by some Western linguists in order to refer to a group of dialects in Western Iran. According to the same linguists, the speakers of these dialects are not familiar with the term "Southern Kurdish" and do not refer to the language as such. According to the linguists: "When consulted about what kind of Kurdish they speak, respondents generally refer first to a very local variety (Kurdish of a given village), or a mid-level variety such as “Ardalāni” or “Garūsi”".
Southern Kurdish has many variants, linguist Fattah divides them into 35 varieties. These include:
- Qorwa (Chahar Dawli xarbi)
- Sahana / Lekî-Kirmaşanî
- Kordali a.k.a. Palai is quite distant, and may be a distinct language.
Other variants include: Bîstûnî, Çihrî, Hersîn, Payrawand, Kirmaşanî, Sanjabî, Xalesa, Çemçemal, Qasirî Şîrîn, Serpuli Zuhawî, Harasam, Kelurî, Îwan, Erkewazî, Şêrwanî, Îlamî, Salihabad, Rîka, Badraî, Melikşahî, Mêxasî, Mihran, Xaneqînî, Mendilî, Duşêxî, Kaprat, Warmizyar, Zurbatiya and Feylî.
The Southern Kurdish alphabet is very similar to the Central Kurdish (Sorani) alphabet, which is a derivation of the Arabic alphabet. Southern Kurdish has one additional letter "ۊ"; the Arabic letter waw with two dots above.
- Southern Kurdish at Ethnologue (25th ed., 2022)
- "Kurdish language i. History of the Kurdish language". Iranica Online. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- Fattah (2000), pp. VII.
- Anonby, Erik; Mohammadirad, Masour; Sheyholislami, Jaffer (299). "Kordestan Province in the Atlas of the Languages of Iran: Research process, language distribution, and language classification". Current issues in Kurdish linguistics. University of Bamberg Press. p. 26.
- Fattah (2000), pp. 16–17.
- Fattah (2000), pp. 18–19.
- Fattah (2000), p. 19.
- Fattah (2000), p. 20.
- Fattah (2000), p. 21.
- Erik Anonby, Mortaza Taheri-Ardali & Amos Hayes (2019) The Atlas of the Languages of Iran (ALI). Iranian Studies 52. A Working Classification
- Fattah (2000), pp. 22–40.
- Information regarding Southern Kurdish
- Kurdish Academy of Language describing Southern Kurdish
- Audio recordings of wordlists and narratives in Southern Kurdish, archived with Kaipuleohone
- southern Kurdish Wikipedia