Kerala Students Union
|Malayalam and English|
KSU was founded in 1957, with Vayalar Ravi as its main organiser and founding general secretary. It functioned as the student wing of the Pradesh Youth Congress. Under Ravi's leadership KSU took a leading role in the opposition campaign against the communist state government. KSU sought to challenge the near-monopoly of the communist-led All India Students Federation over campus politics at the time. KSU played a key role in the movement that toppled the communist state government.
KSU emerged as the largest political force at high schools and colleges in the state by the early 1960s. KSU became the main force in establishing the National Students Union of India, the new students wing of the Indian National Congress.
- Francine R. Frankel (2005). India's Political Economy, 1947-2004: The Gradual Revolution. Oxford University Press. p. 448. ISBN 978-0-19-565839-2.
- Education World: The Human Development Magazine. D. Thakore. 2005. p. 40.
- Outlook. Vayalar Ravi's Rise Due to Organizational Skill
- Niyama Sabha. Vayalar Ravi
- Kerala Journal of Social Science. Department of Political Science, University of Kerala. 2000. p. 154.
- The Journal of Commonwealth & Comparative Politics. Frank Cass. 1986. p. 178.
- International Congress on Kerala Studies, 27-29 August 1994, Thiruvananthapuram. The Centre. 1994. p. 9.
- Socialist India. Indian National Congress. All India Congress Committee. 1974. p. 14.