Kenneth Broberg (born August 2, 1993) is an American classical pianist. In June 2017 he won the silver medal at the Fifteenth Van Cliburn International Piano Competition. In June 2019 Broberg earned the third prize and bronze medal at The XVI International Tchaikovsky Competition.
Kenny Broberg in the semi-final round at the Fifteenth Van Cliburn International Piano Competition
|Born||August 2, 1993|
Early life and musical educationEdit
Broberg was born and raised in Minneapolis. Interested by the upright piano in his family home that was a wedding gift to his parents from his maternal grandparents, he began playing piano at the age of 6. At 9, he began studying piano with Dr. Joseph Zins at Crocus Hill Studios in Saint Paul, Minnesota. He went on to study with Nancy Weems at the University of Houston's Moores School of Music, where he earned a Bachelor of Music degree in 2016.
Broberg is a graduate student at Park University in Parkville, Missouri, studying with Stanislav Ioudenitch, who was a gold medalist at the Eleventh Van Cliburn International Piano Competition in 2001.
Broberg was featured on NPR’s radio program for young musicians, From the Top, two times early in his career at the age of 16. He has since been broadcast on other radio stations across the world including ABC in Australia and KUHF in Houston, Texas.
Broberg has performed as guest soloist with orchestras around the world including the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Minnesota Orchestra, Seattle Symphony, Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, and Sydney Symphony Orchestra. He also performs solo recitals both on concert series and at festivals including the International Keyboard Odyssiad and Festival, the Rye Arts Festival in the United Kingdom, and New Orleans Keyboard Festival.
In addition to many other wins at international piano competitions, Broberg won the fourth prize at the Sydney International Piano Competition in 2016; several of his performances from that competition were included on CDs released on the Universal Music Australia label.
On June 10, 2017, Broberg gained international attention by winning the silver medal at the prestigious Fifteenth Van Cliburn International Piano Competition. Broberg had been invited to the live competition in Fort Worth, Texas along with 29 other competitors from a pool of 290 applicants. Broberg progressed through each of the four rounds which required two 45-minute solo recitals, one 60-minute solo recital, a piano quintet with the Brentano String Quartet, and a Mozart piano concerto with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra and Nicholas McGegan, and he chose to end the final round by performing Rachmaninoff’s Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra and Leonard Slatkin. As a result of winning the silver medal, Broberg received $25,000 cash, three years of career management, a live recording, a recording partnership with Universal Music Group, press kits, videos, and a website.
|2019||International Tchaikovsky Competition||Bronze medal (tie)|
|2017||Van Cliburn International Piano Competition||Silver medal|
|2017||Hastings International Piano Competition||Gold medal|
|2016||Dallas International Piano Competition||Gold medal|
|2016||Sydney International Piano Competition||4th place|
|2015||Seattle Symphony Piano Competition||2nd place|
|2014||New Orleans International Piano Competition||Bronze medal|
|2014||Wideman International Piano Competition||Silver medal|
|2014||Mika Hasler Young Artist Competition Foundation||1st place|
|2013||Young Texas Artists Competition||Silver medal|
|2012||New Orleans Piano Institute Concerto Auditions||1st place|
|2012||Moores School of Music Concerto Competition||1st place|
|2011||Wideman International Piano Competition||Bronze medal|
|2017||Cliburn Silver 2017||Decca Gold|
|2016||Encore!: Recorded Live at the Sydney International Piano Competition of Australia 2016||ABC Classics|
- "Park University student wins silver at Van Cliburn International Piano Competition". The Kansas City Star.
- "Filling in due to flu, Kenny Broberg shines in Minnesota Orchestra concerto debut". Star Tribune.
- "Kenny Broberg – The Cliburn". www.cliburn.org.
- "The Names of the Prizewinners at the XVI International Tchaikovsky Competition in the Piano Category have been Announced". The XVI International Tchaikovsky Competition. Retrieved 27 June 2019.
- Ewen, Chelsey Engelhard. "'Like a homecoming': Minnesota-based pianist, Van Cliburn Silver Medalist performing at MSUM". Inforum. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Gedetsis, Jacob. "Park grad student is one of 6 finalists in Van Cliburn piano competition". The Kansas City Star. Missing or empty
- "Show 219: Listening Guide". From The Top. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Saint Paul, MN / 219". From The Top. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Strachan, Sue. "New Orleans Keyboard Festival reception caps off a virtuosic week". The Times-Picayune. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Estes, Maggie. "2017 Cliburn Competition Winners Concert Tours Announced". Musical America. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Jacobs, Jennifer Clary. "Performances of a Lifetime at the International Keyboard Odyssiad® & Festival". Colorado State University. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Stuart, Andy. "Keyboard delights at Arts Festival". Rye News. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Raihala, Ross. "Minneapolis native a finalist in 'most prestigious classical music contest in the world'". Twin Cities Pioneer Press. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Ahles, Andrea. "Meet the pianists going for gold in the 2017 Cliburn competition". Star-Telegram. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Find out who won the 15th Van Cliburn International Piano Competition!". Pianist Magazine. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Watch: WQXR Presents the 2017 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition Winners". WQXR. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Past Winners". Hastings International Piano Concerto Competition. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Kenny Broberg Wins the Dallas International Piano Competition 2016". Dallas International Piano Competition. Archived from the original on 14 April 2018. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Janovy, C.J. "Park University Piano Student Has One More Concert In Prestigious International Contest". KCUR. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Piano Competition". Seattle Symphony. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Waddington, Chris. "Spanish woman wins gold in 2014 New Orleans International Piano Competition". The Times-Picayune. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "News". University of Houston. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Past Winners". Mika Hasler Competition. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "YTA Music Competition 2013 silver winner, Kenneth Broberg, earns silver at Van Cliburn International Piano Competition". The Paper Magazine. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Kenny Broberg". Hall Piano Co. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Thayer, Natalie. "Piano Alumnus Brings Music to Life on International Stage". University of Houston. Retrieved 13 April 2018.